PDA

View Full Version : "COD WAR" type of threat?

Onceapilot
3rd Feb 2013, 18:43
As the politicians dismantle our armed forces, it is interesting to look back at how the UK was unable to deal with a minor "domestic" within our own back yard.
I wonder if instead of walking away from Europe, we should be biting the bullet, joining in, and and leading the way? We may be at the Western end of the continent but with few assets we are as vulnerable as most and, in some ways, easily isolated...ask Grand Admiral Karl Doenitz.

OAP

Buster Hyman
4th Feb 2013, 05:09
Is this a fish pun thread?

N707ZS
4th Feb 2013, 07:07
Could be another Nimrod pun thread, silly cod.

Ivan Rogov
4th Feb 2013, 09:20
Did Karl Doenitz's Subs have the ability to attack our Cod? Maybe that is what Submarine Nets were for?

All sounds a bit fishy, but I'll admit I'm hooked:ok:

SOSL
4th Feb 2013, 10:46
Wasn't it a small scale war?

Rgds SOS

Pontius Navigator
4th Feb 2013, 11:17
Definitely the kipper fleet.

Buster Hyman
4th Feb 2013, 11:27
The Whiting's on the wall...

NutLoose
4th Feb 2013, 11:52
Holy Mackerel, this isn't the Plaice for bad jokes like that. I take it you're hunky Dory with that, or do you think it's a load of Pollocks?

Sorry to Carp on about it :O

Fishermen are a different breed, they bitch and moan about the likes of the Spanish fishing in our waters and depleting the stocks, but that's only because UK Trawler owners in the past legally sold their quotas to them. I would be suprised if we have even a quarter of the fleet left to defend these days, so both have shrunk in size hand in hand?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
4th Feb 2013, 12:38
The 'Cod War' was 'lost' when the Icelanders threatened to deny the use of Keflavik. As per usual, the UK 'took one for the NATO team' at the 'suggestion' of the US. Our Armed Forces had b#gger all to do with it.

Also worth mentioning that the Icelanders were right to protect their stocks, and the UK's real failure was to protect its own stocks, especially from the Spanish. This would have been a lot easier if we had never been part of the EEC.

But, although I think your example is completely wrong, I do think the UK's Armed Forces are reaching the point where they cannot engage in any meaningful unilateral action. Mind you, when was the last time the UK took any action without US 'approval' anyway?

n.b. After the Cod War, my home town at the time saw its fishing fleet decline from 102 trawlers to one and a half (a sad wreck in the harbour - very symbolic) in a year.

Motleycallsign
4th Feb 2013, 12:57
Steady on chaps, we'll have the blokes late of 'a secret airbase somewhere in Wiltshire' scrambling their 'Dogfish' formation soon. Kipper fleet indeed!!!!!

sisemen
4th Feb 2013, 14:46
But if they'd really let loose the Hastings to show 'em what they could do.......er....

CoffmanStarter
4th Feb 2013, 18:37
Herring today ... gone tomorrow ... it all sounds a bit Huss Huss to me :cool:

NutLoose
4th Feb 2013, 18:45
Wiltshire' scrambling their 'Dogfish' formation

That'll be operation Kedgeree

CoffmanStarter
4th Feb 2013, 19:00
Oh no roe it isn't :p

Ivan Rogov
4th Feb 2013, 19:07
Ah, I think the originator of the thread made a spelling mi..skate.

I bet eel feel a bit of a pollock ;)

Buster Hyman
4th Feb 2013, 20:18
Yes, but he didn't batter an eyelid...

Besides, someone had to give the thread a little soul.

Lima Juliet
4th Feb 2013, 20:46
Fighting war with a Cod... It's just not cricket...

http://forums.mg-rover.org/images/smilies/Dippie.gif

Fox3WheresMyBanana
4th Feb 2013, 21:09
Well swipe me sideways with a wet kipper. I guess I'd better cut and fillet the serious stuff, chum. There's no point carping on about the trivialising of threads by a bunch of old trouts.
I've had-dock training, so bass you don't mess with me, or you'll end up knocked off your perch with your steelhead on a pike at the city gates.

CoffmanStarter
5th Feb 2013, 06:58
F3WMB you old Grouper :ok:

Motleycallsign
5th Feb 2013, 11:33
Careful Coffman you'll have him pouting, the old skate.

27mm
5th Feb 2013, 11:41
Whale oil beef hooked....:E