PDA

View Full Version : Getting a atz transit of a millitary airfield

G-OE
3rd Feb 2013, 18:38
Hi all, I'm taking a couple of friends flying soon and they asked if I could fly them over their house, as their house was in the benson atz (not the matz, but the actual atz) I wasn't sure. Has anyone got a atz transit over a millitary airfiled before,move never attempted it. Any tips to make my chance of succes more likely?

piperarcher
3rd Feb 2013, 20:36
Often a MATZ penetration will route you over the runway and the ATZ itself. I guess all you can do is call up ahead, tell tem briefly exactly what you want to do, and see if you get permission. You could always try calling them on the phone up front to see what they say. Additionally if you are not sure, go up with an instructor in a safety pilot capicity and he can do the radio if your not sure. Next time around with your friends, you will be more confident and competent.

BTW, do you fly from Panshanger? I fly from there.

toptobottom
3rd Feb 2013, 20:59
In my experience, Benson can either be super friendly, or spectacularly unfriendly!! My tip: call nice and early and explain you're on an aerial photography job and so request 2 orbits (or whatever) before exiting the way you came in.

Richard Westnot
3rd Feb 2013, 22:24
Like the others have said. Call them on the land line first.

You would probably have better chance of this sortie at a weekend rather than during the week.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good luck!

Fly-by-Wife
3rd Feb 2013, 22:35
I presume that you want to be as low as possible, because you can fly over the top of the Benson MATZ without talking to anyone. Whether or not that is good airmanship is possibly a different question.

Problem is that would put you min. 3000 feet AGL... so tell your pax to bring binoculars! :)

FBW

chevvron
4th Feb 2013, 11:11
Don't get confused between MATZ and ATZ, the rules for entry are different. Whilst you need a postive clearance from ATC (if in operation) to enter an ATZ, this is not required for a MATZ, hence you could if you wished, fly overhead at 2001 ft aal without permission.
I wouldn't advise it but it's perfectly legal.

Fuji Abound
4th Feb 2013, 12:00
I have always fond Benson really helpful and have routed via their overhead on many more than one occasion. I would be surprised if you would have a problem unless of course they have conflicting activity. As always you are far more likely to receive a helpful response if you explain what you want to do and why.

Often a telephone call before makes very good sense. After all what you propose is a "special" mission. The call shows forethought, gives them a chance to think about the best timing based on their ops for the day, and means they know you are coming. From your point of view it saves a refusal in flight.

I have 'phoned before for exactly the sames reasons, albeit not Benson, explained I had some friends who lived with the ATZ, and arranged the "flight" before leaving the ground.

tmmorris
4th Feb 2013, 13:50
Totally agree (I'm based there): call them. Pm me if you need a number.

Tim

tmmorris
4th Feb 2013, 14:00
PS emphasise the community relations angle - I.e. local residents getting some benefit from them allowing your flight. They are keen to be nice to them!

Tim

G-OE
4th Feb 2013, 15:43
Thanks guys for the help, ill give them a call

manix-cs
4th Feb 2013, 19:42
A couple of years ago I was en route to Lee on Solent from EGSF, with cloud forcing us lower and lower (eventually had to divert into Popham, but that's another story).

I called up Benson (this was on a Thursday), and asked for a basic service and MATZ and ATZ penetration at 1000'.

The was a short, startled pause and then permission was given with the additional information "traffic is a Lancaster also transiting our overhead at 1000'".

And there it was, to starboard, about a mile off, marvellous sight :)