PDA

View Full Version : Multi IR vs. Single IR and ATPL exam validity

Flieslikeabrick
3rd Feb 2013, 18:06
A friend's ATPL exams expire May 4th. If he completes CPL and SINGLE engine IR, can he add MULTI IR later than May 4th. Is single IR any use? (I don't think so...)

Curtis E Carr
3rd Feb 2013, 18:39
To which regulatory structure is your friend subject? Your location does not give much of a clue.

RTN11
3rd Feb 2013, 21:38
If it's UK, then the single engine IR will indeed stop the clock and lock the exams in for at least 7 years.

However, a single engine IR is basically useless for a commercial pilot, and getting it upgraded to a multi IR will cost as much, if not more, than just doing multi in the first place.

RedBullGaveMeWings
3rd Feb 2013, 21:59
He'd better go straight for ME-IR.

tiger88
4th Feb 2013, 05:05
If funding or time constraints are posing a concern to complete both the CPL and ME-IR by 4th May then I would suggest at least to do the ME-IR on the PPL. This will lock in their ATPL theory so long as they revalidate yearly or renew the IR within 7 years.

RTN11
4th Feb 2013, 07:10
If funding or time constraints are posing a concern to complete both the CPL and ME-IR by 4th May then I would suggest at least to do the ME-IR on the PPL. This will lock in their ATPL theory so long as they revalidate yearly or renew the IR within 7 years.

No it won't, you need both a CPL and an IR to lock in the exams, if you don't have both within 36 months of the end of the month in which the last exam was taken, you would have to retake all 14 exams.

They wouldn't make you retake the whole theory course though, just training as deemed necessary by an FTO to pass the exams again.

tiger88
4th Feb 2013, 17:33
Interesting point RNT11,

I was always lead to believe it was only the IR that locked the ATPL theory exams. But from re-reading CAP804 again the 7 year validity may only be the case towards the issue of an ATPL and not the CPL. Are you suggesting the 36 month validity still remains if you wish to use the ATPL theory exams for the issue of a CPL regardless if you hold an IR on your PPL? Its not very clear in that regard in CAP804, but then what is!

With referenceto CAP 804, Part 1, Section 4, Part A, Page 4, FCL.025

(c) Validity period
(1) The successfulcompletion of the theoretical knowledge examinations will
be valid:
(ii) for the issueof a commercial pilot licence or instrument rating (IR), for
a period of 36months;
(2) The completionof the airline transport pilot licence (ATPL) theoretical
knowledgeexaminations will remain valid for the issue of an ATPL for a
period of 7 years fromthe last validity date of:
(i) an IR enteredin the license;

Flieslikeabrick
4th Feb 2013, 19:07
OOPS. UK CAA. (He's going EASA CPL in Florida, FAA IR, then converting...)

I thought he needed Multi-IR to be done within 36 months. Perhaps the single IR will do. (Explained to him it's as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike....)