PDA

View Full Version : Closing a unit - traditions and formalities.

Al R
2nd Feb 2013, 21:11
Are there any formalities or traditions to be observed when closing a unit (an SRO signing off,that no one will ever read, a signal going out,that will never be responded to or picked up, a final drink in the bar onto a tab that will never be paid off)?

And is anyone allowed to take away any final trappings of office, or does it all, down to the last pennant, get taken away to be stored in the corner of some big hanger until no one cares enough to resist burning it?

I only ask because the final RAF Cottesmore road signs have now gone.. I wonder if anyone cared enough to bag any of those on-site signs.

Milo Minderbinder
2nd Feb 2013, 21:45
the local Gypsies will have had those.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
2nd Feb 2013, 22:07
down to the last pennant

I understand the last CO of RAF Turnhouse's car pennant went missing 4 days before the Station closed. :E

Al R
2nd Feb 2013, 22:14
With all these closures, there must be lots of downstairs toilets/cloakrooms, with 'Station Commander' signs on the door..

MightyGem
3rd Feb 2013, 00:06
Are there any formalities or traditions to be observed when closing a unit
Just the usual, last one out turns off the lights.

P6 Driver
3rd Feb 2013, 07:31
At RAF Brawdy, the first formality was denial of it happenning!

All ranks of SNCO & above were ordered into the station cinema in two sittings for a briefing by the Station Commander one day. The gist was that Brawdy was not closing and we were to return to our sections and kill the rumours that it was.

I was in the first presentation and as we trooped out, the second group were going in for the CO to repeat the message to them. A Sergeant going in asked those departing what it was all about (we hadn't been told in advance) and was firmly told "Pack your bags - Brawdy's closing, mate".

The close-down started six months later.

Heathrow Harry
3rd Feb 2013, 08:42
never believe a rumour until it is officially denied

Roland Pulfrew
3rd Feb 2013, 09:02
RAF tradition appears to be: hand it over to the British Army:}

Biggus
3rd Feb 2013, 10:01
Chronologically, one of the first things to be done prior to closing an RAF base is to spend lots of money improving it in the year or two before the closure is actually announced!! :ugh::ugh:

At least the Army often benefit from the money spent!

Courtney Mil
3rd Feb 2013, 10:05
...or get on E-Bay.

Pontius Navigator
3rd Feb 2013, 11:03
to spend lots of money improving it in the year or two before the closure is actually announced!!

In our case the major work on upgrading a workshop was due on the Monday but I managed to cancel on the Friday as we were closing the following month. If we had had to pay penal cancellation charges it would have been well deserved.

noprobs
3rd Feb 2013, 11:18
I've experienced a few examples of closing-down oddities over the years.

1. When it was announced that my station was to be closed, quarters tenants were offered the chance to buy the furniture. I (actually my wife, because I was away on detachment) paid a few quid for the full contents of our house plus a few choice items from barrack stores. As it rapidly became apparent that the station would be handed over to the army, the offer was withdrawn. But I had my receipt, so kept the lot.

2. While trying to equip a new officers' mess, I visited the storage depot at Stafford. I was shown the lockers full of silver, and invited to take anything without unit markings, in case that unit might reappear. I took an estate car full of silver candelabra.

3. On the closure of a station where I had served, I contacted the closure team, seeking to buy a particular item. It was a nice old tankard from the 1940s, engraved with "RAF Coltishall - OC Flying." It had sat unused in the silver room for a couple of decades before I brought it out and added my name to the engraved list of users. So, I thought that I had a fair claim to entitlement to purchase. However, the team member I spoke to thought that this item should be kept in case it should be needed at another unit. :rolleyes:

Courtney Mil
3rd Feb 2013, 11:37
We auctioned off a load of really neat stuff from the Officers' Mess when we closed it down at Farnborough. Unfortunately I'd fallen for the free bar before the auction and successfully bid VERY generously for some fascinating and very useful items. Anyone want to buy a broken pen holder to go next to their visitors' book?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
3rd Feb 2013, 11:40
The silver gets 'recycled'. I remember the 'Airwork' trophy on my UAS, which was about the size of the FA Cup, had had a previous life as the RAF Luqa Bowling Cup. I expect the final winner of said trophy was quite miffed when he couldn't keep it, but as a University student I thought it was wonderful to win a humongous piece of silver.

Well, I did until one of the previous winners insisted I had to fill it with champagne and drink it all, as he had.:eek::\:zzz:

unclenelli
3rd Feb 2013, 11:53
Roland Pulfrew

You forgot to add:
"... and change it's name to something totally unrecognisable to the rest of the world!"

Allenbrook
Dalton
Normandy
El Alamein to name but a few
and now Kendrew

(PS I walked away with a toaster from Robin Hood)

Al R
3rd Feb 2013, 17:11
#Fox3..

This one..?

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5235/7202968518_7cb86d8b8a_m.jpg

Gorgeous looking car.

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/485421-operation-chastise-69th-anniversary.html

Fox3WheresMyBanana
3rd Feb 2013, 17:25
Deny everything, Baldrick!

Al R
3rd Feb 2013, 17:27
ICATQ ........

muttywhitedog
3rd Feb 2013, 19:07
The CO's pennant at Coltishall was signed by all of us who were left (only about 60) and presented to the CO just after the closure parade.

As far as other items go, all public items get returned to Supply for onward re-allocation. Non-public items (Mess TV's/paintings etc) gets offered to other units, with the stipulation that the gaining unit must come and get it. If after a period of time (3 months or so), items remain unwanted, then they can be disposed of locally, with proceeds going to the respective funds.

Cottesmore Offs Mess had a very very nice piano, which caught the attention of several individuals, who made it known they would be interested in having it. However the PMC stuck to the letter of the law and it went to another unit, who came and collected it.

Pontius Navigator
3rd Feb 2013, 19:56
So what happened to all the original Russell Flints in the Mess at RAF Lyneham. Indeed how come the Mess had so many?

Sometimes Messes have things like that where they have no idea of their value although with the internet that is becoming less likely and with fewer messes . . .

Wittering, that front line VSTOL unit with the RAF's Premier sqn consigned a couple of old paintings of a Victor and a Valiant to a store room until, one day, someone realised that they were Shepherds and rather valuable. I think 40 years ago they were worth £5,000 each - same as a decent house.

Al R
3rd Feb 2013, 20:22
Mutty,

In 14 years, there will be 9 units left where you won't be able to move for bloody pianos.

Courtney Mil
3rd Feb 2013, 20:36
You will if 29 Sqn stick to tradition and keep burning them!

Xercules
3rd Feb 2013, 20:41
At Post #20 PN asks what happened to Lyneham's "original Russell Flints. I cannot vouch for what has now happened but many (many) moons ago I was House Member and had them in my property book. If memory serves there were about 28 of them although they were not original but signed original prints. We had them valued for insurance and then (this must have been in late 69/early 70) they were worth about £8,500 for insurance. As a set/group I would have thought that even then Antiques Road Show would have valued them much higher and cannot imagine what they might be worth now.

However, Lyneham has yet to close as a RAF station and is supposed to be becoming a Joint Service establishment - does the Mess property remain with the Mess in this case or go into RAF cold storage or disposal?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
3rd Feb 2013, 20:48
Piano-burning is not unique to Triplex....

Courtney Mil
3rd Feb 2013, 20:51
Fox 3,

Very true. It's just where I learnt my trade! :ok:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
3rd Feb 2013, 20:58
XI had a Piano Officer to organise acquisitions, and nobody wanted that Secondary Duty because you had to find so many. We even took them on Dets.

My favourite was on 234, when the PMC issued a Court Marshal-level ban (owing to previous unfortunate incidents where the 'player' became a 'burner' also), so we built a 20 foot high replica with the remnants of the Mess Ball Decs and set it off with Canberra starting cartridges.

NutLoose
3rd Feb 2013, 22:55
So what happened to all the original Russell Flints in the Mess at RAF Lyneham. Indeed how come the Mess had so many?

I collect the odd original, such as this, painted by the artist that used to do all the artwork for the Corgi car boxes, it's of 55 sqn, I also have several originals that were used by Frog for the lids of their model kits, and the chinook in the snow oil used by the Benevolent fund as its Christmas card one year.

55 Sqn

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/picturedh4.jpg

rab-k
4th Feb 2013, 00:29
Nothing like the stories above will take place when the next closure occurs later this year. RAF Prestwick, (ScATCC Mil), is housed in a civvy establishment owned by NATS. Place won't be the same once the guys'n'gals in (light) blue, (plus the token 'dark blue'), vacate the premises. :(

effortless
4th Feb 2013, 07:29
I know one jakes that has a few shiny bog rolls with "Government Property" on each sheet.

ian16th
4th Feb 2013, 16:14
What happens to things such as Snooker Tables?

In 1958, when the RAF Liaison Party left Istres, I was involved in the dismantling of the snooker table which was then shipped back to the UK.

There wasn't much demand for used snooker tables in France :cool:

Fareastdriver
4th Feb 2013, 18:26
In the late 40s all the silver from the multitude of disbanded squadrons was held at a central silver store, IIRC a hanger at Mildenhall. Along come a couple of 3 tonners with somebody waving a movement order. The trucks were loaded and they dissappeared; well the silver did. The trucks were found later having been 'borrowed' from a war surplus lorry park.