PDA

View Full Version : ELT Recommendations?

Sunfish
2nd Feb 2013, 20:25
Before I stick the roof on, I am drilling holes for a Comant VHF antenna and an ELT antenna as well, I think because doing it after the fuselage is complete is harder given the size of my waistline.

Do people have a recommendation for an ELT and where it can be purchased in Australia?

Yes, I have a PLB as well and I suppose I could rack a GME marine EPIRB with GPS behind my seat.

MakeItHappenCaptain
2nd Feb 2013, 20:39
Just fitted a new Cobham (Airtex) ME406 to an Aztruck I ferried in from the states. Beeps on power up to let the pilot know it has self tested ok, has a buzzer to alert accidental activation, computer diagnosis of problems (the owner thought mounting up to 45 degrees meant you could bend the antenna over almost double without breaking it:rolleyes: and we had to replace the remote switch)

Capt W E Johns
2nd Feb 2013, 21:51
I'd have a close look at these two links here (http://www.aia.org.nz/site/aianz/files/NZHA//ARTEX%20Trade%20in%20Augst%202012.pdf) and here (http://shop.avionics.co.nz/services/airworthiness-directives/dcarad54a#container) before considering an Artex ELT.

tecman
2nd Feb 2013, 23:43
I installed an ACK04, mainly because it was a drop in replacement for the ACK01 that was already in my P2002JF. Looked like a well-engineered unit and works well on test. Fairly intelligent internal self test and external RF test (reports via beep codes). External control head drops in where the old one sat and I was able to velcro the new warning buzzer to some convenient metal work behind the instrument panel to the LAME's satisfaction.

Couldn't mount the new antenna on the metal internal fuselage in the way the old 121.5 MHz antenna had been mounted (angles all wrong to pass through grommet in the outer composite rear fuselage covering). But the LAME and I made a doubler plate, with foil tape electrical radials per the ACK instructions, then mounted the antenna on the composite. Very strong, minimal flexing and passed the ACK internal VSWR test with no issues. Bonus is that the antenna angles of the Comant and ACK antennas are an exact match, and it all looks very nice.