PDA

View Full Version : Seriously - why would anyone want to do anything else

ExRAFRadar
2nd Feb 2013, 13:07
Just found this, as usual ropey music.

Am I alone, but why when I show this to my partner, daughter etc they all look at me and say Why did you ever want to do that....

Not that I ever did but the desire never fades

TW72 the last two years... Tactics & Weapons Course, Hawk T1 - YouTube

ExRAFRadar
2nd Feb 2013, 13:23
Sorry all but I feel the need to post this as well.

RAF Tornado GR1 - Recruitment Video - IX Squadron Training Flight - YouTube

All this nostalgia is being bought to you courtesy of a few cans of Guinness and the fact that it was 30 years ago this month I started the process of taking the Queens £5

BTW Now I know why I wasn't picked for Aircrew, nothing to do with failing eyesight, it was because I had hair.....

airborne_artist
2nd Feb 2013, 13:26
Not surprisingly there are no videos on YouTube, but being paid to wear a beige beret part-time has to be up there for a Reserve role. It certainly was in the 80s for me ;)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
2nd Feb 2013, 13:39
Thanks for posting - it's great to see HD video of it.

How times have changed. I've never seen that stretch of the A5 round the corner before - we always used to go below the road.:E

phil9560
2nd Feb 2013, 16:30
Can anybody tell me why you often see tape crosses on flying helmets?Its what i do to my suutcase so I recognise it on the conveyor belt but I can't make a link !

BOAC
2nd Feb 2013, 16:41
Probably to aid location if you parachuted into a marsh? Like a 'This way up' sticker?. I always remember my parachute instructor saying to me "if your chute doesn't open, Sir, remember to cross your legs as you land............

it will be easier to unscrew you"

Fox3WheresMyBanana
2nd Feb 2013, 16:43
Water rescue, esp. at night IIRC

StitchBitch or OldManSquipper will know

ShyTorque
2nd Feb 2013, 16:45
Can anybody tell me why you often see tape crosses on flying helmets?Its what i do to my suutcase so I recognise it on the conveyor belt but I can't make a link !

Underneath the black tape was white reflective tape. It was there for SAR purposes. It was covered with the black tape in case the survivor chose not to be found, until the correct people came along.

CoffmanStarter
2nd Feb 2013, 17:01
Good old 3M Reflective Tape :ok:

But it wasn't always a cross ... some Bonedomes had a central spine of white reflective 3M tape with an outer border of red 3M reflective tape.

phil9560
2nd Feb 2013, 17:02
Thanks-make perfect sense now.

Tashengurt
2nd Feb 2013, 18:04
Good old 3M Reflective Tape

But it wasn't always a cross ... some Bonedomes had a central spine of white reflective 3M tape with an outer boarder of red 3M reflective tape.

Wow, I think that's way before even my time!. The tape was indeed to aid location. We covered it during GW1 for obvious reasons. It was a proper pain in the ass to remove when everyone decided they wanted grey/white/black helmets too. Had to be scraped off bit by bit.

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

Lima Juliet
2nd Feb 2013, 19:44
Seriously - why would anyone want to do anything else?

Err, I can think of some...

Dreamjobs: the best job in the world, probably - YouTube

:E

ExRAFRadar
3rd Feb 2013, 13:25
Nope sorry. Fast Jets still for me.

<Awaits incoming>

The B Word
3rd Feb 2013, 13:35
Not that there's anything wrong in it and it's perfectly legal these day...

...P00F!

Tankertrashnav
3rd Feb 2013, 15:49
Just found this, as usual ropey music.

Just so. Why is it that just about every aviation film/video ever made has to be accompanied by rubbish music? Doesnt say much for the musical tastes of those in aviation, which I know from various threads on here to be of a more elevated kind than would be suggested by this, and other videos :*