PDA

View Full Version : Australia pilot shortage

Pendulum Artist
1st Feb 2013, 18:22
Is this really starting to be a concern ?

Anybody aware of that ? Hearing lots of things about it these day's !!!

Anyone out there well informed ?

Regards .

spinwing
1st Feb 2013, 20:48
Mmmm ...

REALLY ..... and just where did you hear that??

:confused:

Helibloke
1st Feb 2013, 21:51
There is no pilot shortage in Australia.

The offshore companies have been recruiting recently but have had so many applications they can afford to pick the most qualified only. Several years ago you could get a foot in the door with 500 hours, now you need ATPL and a instrument rating before you start and they are having no trouble finding qualified blokes,so that adds up to no shortage.
The onshore industry is the same, I know well qualified fellas (3000+hours)who are struggling to find suitable full time work.

The only person I've heard talking about a shortage is the same bloke who has been since the 90s maybe one day it will come true for him!!

gulliBell
1st Feb 2013, 22:03
Helibloke is correct, no shortage of well qualified helicopter pilots in Australia. I know of several ATPL/IR 6000+ hour pilots who are looking for work with nothing on offer who either remain out of work or need to travel overseas to find employment.

That lights normal!
1st Feb 2013, 23:41
There obviously is a shortage of experienced pilots.

Otherwise CHC Australia (sic) wouldn't (couldn't) utilise Visas (#457?) to import OS drivers.

gulliBell
1st Feb 2013, 23:47
...I think that's because aircraft pilots (generally) are on the job category shortage list and they are using this wide definition to recruit foreign helicopter pilots....again, there is no shortage of qualified helicopter pilots in Australia.

currawong
3rd Feb 2013, 05:17
A figure often heard is 15 qualified pilots per airframe.

Do not know if that is correct though....

ring gear
3rd Feb 2013, 06:33
I agree with Helibloke ad Gullibell.

That lights normal!
4th Feb 2013, 23:15
The OP didn’t specify any definition of “experienced”.

My (slightly tongue in cheek) post mentioned a fact regarding one of the biggest employers of helicopter pilots in Australia. (213 pilots?) A company that only flies ME IFR.

Does anyone know of any pilots with the following minimums who are not employed or voluntarily unemployed in Australia?

ATPL
3000hrs TT
1000hrs Multi Engine (100 on >4000kg machines)
500 PIC ME
Current ME CIR (3 renewals. 100hrs night, 100hrs actual IF)

Seems like a basic criteria for “experienced”?

I don’t know of any company using 457 Visas to employ experienced Long Line guys, or Mustering pilots, but obviously they fit the broad def of “Experienced” too.

gulliBell
5th Feb 2013, 04:19
....regarding those experience levels you mention, I for one have in excess of double all of those numbers (6000 hrs multi IFR, 15 CIR renewals, ATPL, willing to relocate) and I have been looking for a job for almost a year now. Even entry level co-pilot or VFR bush, nothing.....

That lights normal!
5th Feb 2013, 04:26
gulliBell

Quite seriously, I believe the AFAP are (were?) interested in hearing from people like you.
In relation to CHC's use of Visas based on claims they can't get experienced pilots, without importing them.

No doubt, like me and 399 others you have an application in with Bristow Australia.

Squeaks
5th Feb 2013, 04:33
....regarding those experience levels you mention, I for one have in excess of double all of those numbers (6000 hrs multi IFR, 15 CIR renewals, ATPL,

Double it again, 40+ renewals, etc etc. :hmm:

jymil
5th Feb 2013, 05:25
Bristow was looking for lots of pilots (50 or so) in Western AUS (e.g.Karratha) last year, that sounded like a shortage to me. Minimums were 800hrs and IREX, ATPL desirable. And the right to work in AUS, of course.

Helibloke
5th Feb 2013, 07:56
Jymil,

Bristow Australia are recruiting around 50 pilots to cope with up coming demand, so far they have received over 400 applications for these positions. If they only received 30 that would indicate a shortage. 400 equals a glut of pilots whom are suitably qualified and looking for work. I say again, there is no shortage of Helicopter pilots in Australia.

That lights normal!
5th Feb 2013, 12:02
I bet a lot of that 400 applicants don't have an IR.
Many wouldn't meet a broader definition of "experienced".
Some, if successful, would be vacating a similar position elsewhere. (which would need filling..)

Certainly not 400 unemployed experienced pilots applying. Probably not 30...

jymil
5th Feb 2013, 12:48
Ok, lets rephrase: Bristow has a shortage of pilots. And I also think the majority of applicants doesn't meet the requirements.

pohm1
5th Feb 2013, 13:02
If you think the shortage is bad now, wait until the Vietnam vets start retiring.

:p

P1