PDA

View Full Version : 60 years of helicopter SAR

Senior Pilot
1st Feb 2013, 03:11
Fleet Air Arm celebrates 60 years of helicopter SAR (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/News-and-Events/Special-Events/SAR-60)

On the January 31 1953, 12 Dragonfly HR1/HR3 helicopters from 705 Naval Air Squadron based at Royal Naval Air Station (RNAS) Gosport/HMS Siskin responded to urgent requests for help following extensive flooding in East Anglia and The Netherlands. In the course of seven hours’ flying, more than 840 people were rescued – one single pilot accounted for 111 of those rescues, while another carried out 102. For their life-saving efforts, the Commanding Officer of the 705 Sqn Lieutenant Commander HR Spedding received the MBE and Aircrewman IS Craig received the British Empire Medal.

Thus was born Royal Navy helicopter search and rescue which, in 2013, celebrates its 60th anniversary of saving lives.

From these humble beginnings the Royal Navy swiftly introduced this first SAR helicopter to seven bases around the UK:

RNAS Anthorn / HMS Nuthatch near Carlisle in Cumbria
RNAS Brawdy / HMS Goldcrest in Pembrokeshire, Wales
RNAS Eglinton / HMS Gannet in Northern Ireland
RNAS Ford / HMS Peregrine near Littlehampton in Sussex
RNAS Lossiemouth / HMS Fulmar in north east Scotland near Elgin
RNAS Gosport / HMS Siskin in Hampshire
RNAS Culdrose / HMS Seahawk in Helston, Cornwall.
Although this first British-built Dragonfly helicopter would have further updates in its lifespan, the introduction of the Whirlwind HAR1/3 for SAR allowed greater range of 300nm, speed of 106mph and increased rescue capability, culminating in the Whirlwind HAR9 which could rescue eight people. The Dragonflies continued to provide SAR until replaced by the more capable Wessex HU Mk5 in 1964 with a range of 478nm, a top speed of 132mph and could rescue 16 people.

These aircraft were quickly used to save lives, most notably two SAS canoeists in difficulties off south Wales in March 1963 with the pilot Lieutenant RE Smith receiving an MBE for his actions. Interestingly a Wessex HAS1 was used by 706 Sqn to rescue the lighthouse keeper from the Longships lighthouse off Lands End in March 1968 with the pilot Lieutenant D Blythe receiving a MBE for his efforts.

Although the Wessex continued to provide SAR, the newly introduced Sea King HAS1 primarily intended for Anti Submarine duties was also used for longer range SAR due to its increased range of 598nm and greater endurance of 4 hours.

One aircraft from RNAS Culdrose was involved in the daring rescue of the crew from the Danish SS Merc Enterprise which had capsized in heavy seas south of Plymouth in January 1974. With waves of 50 feet and severe winds of 70mph, the crew managed to save many of the survivors with the pilots Lt Cdr DS Mallock and Lt AR Baker RAN (Royal Australian Navy exchange pilot) receiving the AFC and the rear crew POACMN DJD Fowles, DJ Jackson and LACMN AT Williams the AFM.

This potent force of Wessex and Sea King were directly involved in increasing number of rescues that by its increased capacity warranted the richly deserved gallantry awards for their efforts. These included:

Rescue of crew from oil rig ‘Orion’ aground off Guernsey in February 1978 for which Lt GJ Tilsley, Lt RG Davidson, Lt P Crudgington and Lt AJ Eagles received the AFC.
Rescue of crew from trawler Ben Asdale at Maenporth, Cornwall in December 1978 for which the Lt Cdr MJ Norman and Lt AJM Hogg received the AFC.
Rescue of crews during the Fastnet race in August 1979 for which Lt J Grayson received the AFC.
Rescue of the crew from a barge off Lymington which had overturned in October 1980 for which LACMN JP Spencer received the QGM.
Just over a year later, now A/POACMN JP Spencer received a bar to his QGM for his part in the rescue of the crew from the stricken Ecuadorian MV Benita off Portland Bill in December 1981.
Rescue of the crew from the yacht Oggie in distress 70nm south of Plymouth in January 1984, Lt SW Marlow received the QGM for his efforts.
Rescue of the celebrity Simon Le Bon and crew from the yachts Drum England and Mr Cube in August 1985, POACMN L Slater received the GM.
Rescue of a young boy washed into the harbour at Porthleven, Cornwall in August 1987, LACMN I Penhaligon received the QGM.

Only part of the article, more if you follow the link.

Not a bad effort all round, Rotorhead Jerry Grayson one of the AFC recipients over the years: BZ :ok:

heli1
1st Feb 2013, 07:52
One of those Dragonflies is now in the Helicopter Museum at Weston alongside a SycamoreThat was also sent to the Netherlands to help. Any pilots who took part still around?

Hummingfrog
1st Feb 2013, 09:34
Crikey

Is this fishead exaggeration again:eek:

Wessex HU Mk5 in 1964 with a range of 478nm, a top speed of 132mph and could rescue 16 people.

- the Wessex 2 that I flew had a SAR range of about 150nm and could only carry 16 people if it never left the ground ( the most I ever had in was 12 in the SH role over a very very short distance)

Sea King HAS1 primarily intended for Anti Submarine duties was also used for longer range SAR due to its increased range of 598nm and greater endurance of 4 hours

- the Seaking 3 I flew had a SAR range of about 250nm with an endurance of 6 hrs.

I am disappointed that a semi official press release could get its facts so wrong:suspect:

HF

Hedski
1st Feb 2013, 10:38
Is it just me or does it seem odd how the rear crew in most of these events have either been forgotten about in the write up or actually didn't receive an award? The 1979 Fastnet effort is a case in point.:confused:

Pofman
1st Feb 2013, 13:27
Hummingfrog.
Are you mixing range with radius of action? 250/6 = 41.6 cruise speed. I knew that the yellow paint was very draggy!

Senior Pilot
1st Feb 2013, 19:27
Is it just me or does it seem odd how the rear crew in most of these events have either been forgotten about in the write up or actually didn't receive an award? The 1979 Fastnet effort is a case in point.:confused:

Did you read the rest of the report? Many more rear crew than drivers in all of it :D

Whilst the write up is poorly researched the Sea King HAS1 carried about 5200lb max fuel and at range speed to dry tanks would have been fairly close to the claimed range: not RoA, though. The 4 hours endurance is misleading as that was the standard ASW sortie length, I managed 5 hours on more than one occasion.

Similarly I'd expect a Wessex with external tanks to get the claimed range, not at all sure how big the 16 school kids would have been, though ;) The Whirlwind was missed out, as was the Wessex HAS1, both of which served in Ship's and Station Flights as SAR for many years before the HU5 was introduced in the late 1970's.

Nit picking I know, but let's acknowledge a sterling record by the RN SAR :ok:

fisbangwollop
1st Feb 2013, 19:42
Rescue of the celebrity Simon Le Bon and crew from the yachts Drum England and Mr Cube in August 1985, POACMN L Slater received the GM.

Larry still at it I believe working with HMCG Flight at Stornoway.

Hedski
2nd Feb 2013, 00:55
Yep, but I was referring to the rescues mentioned in the quoted section where it appears rearcrew didn't get recognition in the 70's etc anywhere near as much as they should.....

Senior Pilot
2nd Feb 2013, 03:33
Yep, but I was referring to the rescues mentioned in the quoted section where it appears rearcrew didn't get recognition in the 70's etc anywhere near as much as they should.....

At the risk of continuing an OT issue, are you aware that many of the listed recipients are both commissioned officers and 'rearcrew'? The structure of RN crews (especially in the 60s and 70s) was predominantly commissioned, so maybe you are seeing an issue that doesn't/didn't exist. On an ASW crew three of the four would be commissioned and often the crew captain would be the observer, who would be the winchman in a rescue.

In the list to which you referred, the trawler 'Ben Asdale' rescue had two AFC's the first to the Observer who was also crew captain, Mike Norman. Of the rest of them more than half are 'rearcrew', not drivers (airframe) ;)

Indeed, I was crew captain of one rescue in which the diver was the only crew member who received a gong: not an unusual occurrence. The news article obviously could not cover all awards made to Royal Navy SAR personnel, it would have run to a few more pages!