PDA

View Full Version : CONVERSION FROM FAA TO EASA

doro
31st Jan 2013, 21:35
Hello there,

I am planning to go to US and take all FAA licences from ppl to cpl ir amel asel..
but i have heard that from 2013 new EASA rules will be applied to convert foreign linences into EASA ones..
i have heard that there will be allowed only one tempary conversion ( one year maximum ) than it is mandatory for the pilot to complete all the EASA licences and courses to get an EASA complete one..

is that true?

thank you in advance for your help..

RedBullGaveMeWings
1st Feb 2013, 00:15
That's why I am planning to get EASA licences straight forward.

Are you going to look for job in America or Europe?

this is my username
1st Feb 2013, 07:08
Yes, that is correct, and it has been true for a long time (EASA has just changed some of the detail around the edges, it was much the same with JAR licences).

There are a few specific cases where getting an FAA licence first and then converting to EASA makes sense, but generally if you want to fly in Europe then going straight for an EASA licence is a better option.

It al really depends on whether the job you are aiming for requires an FAA licence or an EASA licence, but if you want to work in Europe the opportunities to work using an FAA licence are shrinking all the time.

haribAIR
1st Feb 2013, 08:35
I am in conversion of my FAA licenses and I've never heard anything like "temporary conversion". It looks for me that it is going to be easier to convert as it was before. I found out that almost all the EASA states still have different ideas about the conversion or validity, so I wrote to almost all of them. I got almost always the "similar" answer to -"look in to JAR-FCL 1.016", some would mention residency requirements (?), others would quote the "New" easier way of converting it, yet NON of them mentioned the "temporary conversion"...

"The procedure for license conversion (FAA -> JAA) is regulated by JAR-FCL 1.016 and it mentions following:

1. Applicant must hold valid license that he wants to convert and fulfill all the requirements according to JAR-FCL that is needed for similar level JAR-FCL license.
2. The requirements can be reduced by approval of national (JAR) authority. In that case approved flight training organization recommends the required training to Authority. After that the authority may accept the suggested training.
3. After completion the approved training JAR license is issued.
So the easiest way for you is to contact some JAR -FTO which estimates the required training and recommends it to Authority.

Best regards,
xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx"

I am not an aviation lawyer, and it looks for me that even the EASA country's have different ways of explaining the same question, so I would not be surprised if something new would come up. For this reason I love my FAA licenses, they are not changing the regulation on daily bases, they are on the "same page" in Florida and in Oklahoma... You'll need an EASA license in europe, but I think an FAA license is the same good around the world... good luck

RedBullGaveMeWings
1st Feb 2013, 12:02
If you fancy having a FAA licence, you may convert your European licences. It shouldn't be that complicated.