PDA

View Full Version : Aspiring Pilot - 4th Year of School

AidanRFC
31st Jan 2013, 16:49
Hello,

As the title states, I'm currently into my fourth year at high school in the United Kingdom, and I am an aspiring pilot. I'm looking for any tips and hints to gain a headstart against those who wish to become a pilot, also.

I vaguely know about the possible routes you can take in becoming a pilot, however would like to know more. I do not consider the RAF an option however, I'm not going to rule it out.

If anyone could share any information on the job (working hours, basic salary, required qualifications, what I can do at this age, etc.) then I would be most appreciative.

Thank-you very much.

Robert G Mugabe
31st Jan 2013, 17:03
Hi AidanRFC

Welcome to these forums. There a few routes into aviation in the UK. None of which is easy and none have a certainty of an aviation job at the start of training. In no particular order.

1. " Self improver route. PPL followed by self study and hours building until CPL with Night rating and IR.

2. Pay to fly schemes where you pay out through the nose to companies like CTC etc to go from zero hours to CPL level.

3. RAF, FAA and AAC on the military side. Stiff competition mind and no longer a route to an airline job.

Have a gander around these forums and good luck.

Craggenmore
31st Jan 2013, 17:13
P.S, I do apologise if I posted in the wrong forum, I've only just created an account!

Welcome. Have a look at the 'Wanabee' forum - lots of good info there for your entry into the market place!

Good Luck :)

Pork chop express
31st Jan 2013, 17:25
Hi Aidan RFC

Welcome to PPrune! Nothing to add to the posters above in terms of routes into the industry etc....Just keep your eyes WIDE OPEN and make sure you enjoy the flying and know it will be a long journey ahead to secure a job. Like any job airline flying at the end of the day is a job...it has its positives and negatives!

The obvious place to start is your PPL or some trial lessons at least and see if you enjoy it and then go from there.

All the best:ok:

AidanRFC
31st Jan 2013, 17:42
Thanks a lot for the help guys, much appreciated.

What sort of salaries can one expect in this profession, and what qualifications would put me ahead of competitors?

JW411
31st Jan 2013, 18:00
To be absolutely honest and with the advantage of half a century in aviation I would have to ask you to be be really sure that this what you want to do. Above all.

It is going to be bloody hard work and the money is not going to be great at the end if you are lucky enough to get a job.

However, I suspect that you might just be about as enthusiastic as I was all those years ago when I was a young man. If so, then I must ask you to try and keep a level head as you go along.

That advice is about as likely to have an effect as me trying to tell a teenager that sex might not be a great idea.

Aviation is about on a par with telling your first son that he might not like sex!

AidanRFC
31st Jan 2013, 18:08
The money isn't great? I read online that a pilot can earn £100,000+ on a large, long flight aircraft once he/she has sufficient experience.

captplaystation
31st Jan 2013, 19:01
One word. . . Dentist ! but, I never regretted that I didn't, and am fairly sure that you won't either.

My first Commercial job back in 1984 (after 3 years instructing, the "standard" way back then to amass hrs for a CPL/ATPL) was as Cojo for a Hairy @rsed old Capn, who had done most things in life in general , & aviation (Royal Navy/Berlin Airlift/Silver City/Monarch /PIA/ Back to Bristol "Frighteners" 30 years later for a second lap flying Horses with a callow youth out of STN.)

I once asked him, what, after a lifetime in aviation, he viewed as the really essential attribute to survive this game.

RESILIENCE, he said. Forget flying skills etc etc, what you need is the ability to roll with the punches as everyone & anyone connected with your job throws sh1t & punches your way.

You know, he wasn't so far wrong.

So, develop/cultivate resilience, then sit back (& occasionally sit WELL forward ) & enjoy the ride.