PDA

View Full Version : Jeppessen CR-2 Manual

160knots
31st Jan 2013, 16:03
Hi
Could anybody advise me where I can get a Jepp CR-2 nav computer manual.

Unfortunately I have lost mine and need to get back up to speed for my Instructor Rating renewal..

Thanks

C177RG
31st Jan 2013, 21:02
I found one on line using google. It looks like a scan of a photocopy of the original but it does the job just fine. Give me a PM if you can't find it. I'm sure I have the file on a key drive somewhere.

L0u0k0e
31st Jan 2013, 21:55
If you haven't found it yet, this is the direct download link:

http://www.jeppesen.com/download/misc/crinstructions.pdf

Old Akro
2nd Feb 2013, 02:47
Please tell me we are not still teaching how to use flight computers to students. I'm an Engineer. I can use a slide rule. I still have and cherish my fathers cane cored Castell one. But the era has passed. let it go.

MakeItHappenCaptain
2nd Feb 2013, 05:44
Here we go again....:rolleyes:

As long as there are still GA companies mandating the carriage of a whiz wheel through their ops manual, it will still be taught.

Wouldn't be so bad if the ability to utilise mental arithmatic existed to the same standard as twenty years ago.:cool:

Capn Bloggs
2nd Feb 2013, 05:55
the era has passed. let it go.
How do you work out wind components, or do you let Ozrunways do it for you?

160knots
2nd Feb 2013, 06:06
Thanks for the download. Have not used it for years.

Regards

MakeItHappenCaptain
2nd Feb 2013, 06:33
How do you work out wind components, or do you let Ozrunways do it for you?

I'm sure Old Akro is more than competent at doing it in his head, but even he would shake his head if the C210 pilot started subtracting the heading from the forecast allowing for variation and then multiplying the wind strength by the sine of the result while scratching their head while they work out whether the negative result means left or right adjustment and then has to apply that to the airspeed of the aircraft to get the drift angle...

Yeah...we should just let it go....:ugh:

Capn Bloggs
2nd Feb 2013, 06:53
Not to mention the reduction in Effective TAS with lots of drift... :}

Old Akro
3rd Feb 2013, 01:22
These are the devices that I might use to make wind calcs:
1. iPhone - E6B app & Ozrunways
2. iPad - E6B app, Ozrunways, Jepp app
3. Motion Cl900 - Jepp Flitedeck
4. Garmin 495
5. Garmin panel GPS in the aircraft.

Mainly I use the panel GPS and I'm constantly dismayed by the number of pilots that don't understand the full capacity of the panel GPS. I'd rather put teaching time into that rather than using a circular slide rule.

Like most IFR pilots, I flight plan nil wind because its usually has less error than the forecast wind. I'll study the forecast wind and understand it and be watching for the optimal cruise altitude, but the flight plan on the kneeboard will have nil wind. I know TAS from any number of GPS sources (iPhone / iPad, CL900, 495 / panel GPS). I know the drift allowance I'm flying. I'm not doing calcs. If I want to compare actual winds with forecast then I use the functions in one of the GPS devices designed to do that. It also gives me proper density altitude adjusted TAS.

A Jepp CR-2 costs $59. Johnny Appleseed list Garmin hand held GPS units from $115. Ebay lists 312 new GPS units for less than $59.

The aviation flight computers are not very accurate either. They are printed plastic. If you can find a proper slide rule you'll find that it has machine engraved lines that are then paint filled. In fact it will almost certainly say "Machine Divided". This is what you need for an engineering grade device.

When I did my CPL my instructor demanded that diversions & in flight ded reckoning be done in my head. If the sh1t hits that fan you need the situational awareness to get where you are going without diverting your attention from flying to read a slide rule.

30 years ago our schools & universities were able to remain contemporary as calculators replaced log tables and slide rules. Why can't aviation?

A Garmin 196 is not much more than $500 (and they are readily available secondhand). A new Garmin Aera 500 is not much more than $700. I reckon that comparatively this is a lot less than my first HP45 calculator. Its a tax deductible expense for professional pilots and anyone claiming flying for business. I struggle to see why a professional pilot wouldn't consider it as an essential tool of trade along with a noise cancelling headset and GPS PLB. Apart from navigation, its synthetic panel is a good back-up against air pressure driven instrument failures too.

MakeItHappenCaptain
3rd Feb 2013, 03:22
Not going to further the calculator argument apart from saying whiz wheels don't run out of batteries or suffer screen failures.

When I did my CPL my instructor demanded that diversions & in flight ded (sic) reckoning be done in my head. If the sh1t hits that fan you need the situational awareness to get where you are going without diverting your attention from flying to read a slide rule.

Now that I like.:ok:

Old Akro
4th Feb 2013, 01:11
Ded reckoning is correctly spelled DED because its short for deductive.

Captain Dart
4th Feb 2013, 01:31
Old Akro, :D! 'Dead' reckoning is a common 'howler'. I always thought D. R. was 'Deduced' Reckoning, but same diff.

I like my 'whizz wheel', quick, compact, keeps the brain active, and never crashes or needs batteries or subscription renewals. (OK, mine is not so compact now as I had to buy a larger training version ('large print') due to anno domini). And also thanks for the download, Lou.

Old Akro
4th Feb 2013, 01:54
reading the print is another reason why I like using the GPS calc function.