PDA

View Full Version : OML Restriction and finally there is some hope..

Scoobster
30th Jan 2013, 11:57
Folks,

Here is a short tale about my experience with the UK CAA and after the rules have changed what the implications of an OML Restriction on a license could be.

If you must shoot me down for taking so long to "embark upon the PPL and CPL" and as a Career Changer that is fine - I can take that.

I had a field defect which the UK CAA were aware of since 2002, however being 22 years of age at the time could not afford to start training even the PPL.

It took 10 years of battling and writing letters and numerous documentation from professional ophthalmic surgeons and finally a kind AME based out of Stansted along with having no "worsening symptoms of the defect" for the UK CAA to take note. In 2012, the UK CAA along with new rule changes wrote to me and stated they may/would be willing to grant me a UK Class 1 Medical with OML Restriction.

I hit my 33rd birthday this month. Didn't do any flying from 22-33 predominately because I couldn't afford it and didn't want to risk it without any guarantees of a Class 1. I am now in a much better financial position.

What implications if any will an OML Restriction have for future employment if I attain the CPL?

My plan would be to instruct along the way also - so would the OML restriction prevent this for a FI rating?

wondering
31st Jan 2013, 08:26
What implications if any will an OML Restriction have for future employment if I attain the CPL?

Would be really interesting to see how potential employers deal with that. Many job adds ask for a medical without restrictions. I reckon that includes OML. And arenīt two OML pilots prevented from flying together? That would mean an OML pilot has to be paired with a pilot who has a clean medical. I donīt want to sound negative but I imagine many employers wonīt welcome an OML restriction.

Narrow Runway
21st Feb 2013, 07:50
I had an unrestricted Class1, then in 2008 I got sick, got better, but now have an "as and with a co-pilot" restriction on my Class1.

This in essence means I can't fly single pilot for reward.

Whilst in a different position to you, as I was already employed by a big airline when I got sick, it hasn't made a jot of difference to my career.

I left the big airline to get Command immediately elsewhere and after 2 years got another job in corporate aviation.

I told both the DFO and CEO himself of my health scare - and they took me.

You may struggle to get a job in less enlightened areas of the globe, such as middle and far east, but in Euroland you should be just fine.

The medical will be the least of your worries when it comes to job seeking.

Good luck.

The bird
12th Mar 2013, 10:23
A question regarding the OML. According to easa documents two OML's are not allowed to fly together. But according to UK CAA regulation I found about two OML's allowed to operate together. Is this still the case with the changeover to easa?

4 JAA Operational Multi-Crew Limitation (OML)
4.1 JAR-FCL states that certain Class 1 medical certificate applicants, who had a small but increased risk of in-flight incapacitation, may be certificated if their medical certificate and/or licence were endorsed with a 'Valid Only As Or With Qualified Co-Pilot' Operational Multi-crew Limitation (OML). This prevented single pilot operations, but permitted multi-pilot operations, for either a captain or co-pilot. JAR-FCL 1.035 (d) (2) and JAR-FCL 3.035 (d) (2) do not permit two pilots holding a JAR OML from operating together on the same flight deck. This is despite a risk analysis showing that the chance of a double incapacitation is extremely improbable.
4.2 Accordingly, the Medical Division of the CAA has informed Central JAA that the UK will no longer apply the parts of JAR-FCL 1.035 and 3.035 which prevented two pilots holding an OML from operating together. The CAA's action is in full compliance with the ICAO Standards and Recommended Practices. However, should a pilot with an OML wish to operate an aircraft registered in a non-UK JAA member state, the regulatory authority of the state of registration is likely to refuse to allow two pilots, each with an OML, to operate together on the flight deck.
Operators may now roster two pilots to operate together on the flight deck, both of whom have an OML endorsement on their licence.[/I]

2close
18th Mar 2013, 13:41
EASA Regulations are EU law and cannot be superseded by the CAA - they will tell you this ad nauseam every time you ask them for any form of dispensation whatsoever.............until it suits them otherwise. :mad:

There was a document written back when JARs were the way of doing things (there is no point quoting JAR's any longer) which stated that the CAA had determined on the basis of risk assessment that two OML's operating together on the flight deck was acceptable as the chance of simultaneous medical incapacitation was highly improbable.

Nevertheless, that concession ended on 8th April 2012 and so far as I can see any operators employing two OMLs as members of the same flight crew would be operating in breach of EU Regulations. I do stand to be corrected, nonetheless.

:)

Denti
18th Mar 2013, 15:02
As far as i know that is correct. Two pilots with OML are not allowed to fly together under EASA rules which the local authorities can not supersede. Over here in germany that is not a change since it was handled that way before as well.

I have to do some research if that changes with EASA (we introduce it come april, not last one), however currently anyone with an OML entry is not allowed to instruct, train or check during actual flight since the applicant might not be a qualified pilot yet. Instruction in a simulator is fine though, however the LBA is of the opinion since no training can take place in flight the "highest" instructor rating anyone with OML can obtain is SFI.

For any multicrew operation OML is not a big issue, however single crew, instructing and getting employment without experience might a much more difficult issue.

mad_jock
18th Mar 2013, 20:19
I suspect that it will screw up a certain big airways rostering on certain fleets if OML arn't allowed to fly with each other which is the only reason why the CAA are saying you can.

And the UK CAA under JAR certainly allowed selected TRE's to do training in aircraft including lpc's and base checks with an OML.

Scoobster
8th Jan 2014, 22:13
Just to add to this thread.. I have now officially received the EASA Class 1 with OML restriction.

Aside from the restriction of OML, I have the VDL (Must wear Corrective Lenses) and AGL (Open Cockpit Aircraft).

I am aware if I was "already" employed by an airline then obviously the talk would be academic.

You are right about 2 OML's not being allowed to fly together under EASA.

My main concern is how to go about acquiring the experience and hours with an OML (before even having a CPL!) in order to get a position in the first instance?!

Single Pilot Operations for Reward are obviously a No-Go.

I do however hold an Unrestricted FAA Class 1 and was thinking of converting my PPL (A) to an FAA and getting the FAA CPL with Unrestricted FAA Medical and that opens up a lot more opportunity around Single Pilot Operations and allow me to build the experience requirements also...

Positions would then be applied for on an ICAO License.. but that obviously puts Europe out of the picture :ugh:

Fostex
9th Jan 2014, 07:03
however currently anyone with an OML entry is not allowed to instructNo necessarily true. A Class 1 OML should carry unrestricted Class 2 privileges and it is now possible to instruct up to PPL for remuneration under a Class 2. You could not become a commercial instructor but it gives you an option for possible hour building giving PPL instruction.

I would also add that you are not the first CAA EASA issued Class 1 OML, I know of at least one other issued last year.

mad_jock
9th Jan 2014, 07:18
it didn't used to work like that. They said that they could only instruct after the student had gone solo and for other ratings after that.

Fostex
9th Jan 2014, 08:10
I agree that it is slightly contradictory, but since the Class 2 allows you to be single pilot with pax as a PPL then you can still teach as a PPL instructor. The recent changes under EASA allow for remuneration as a PPL instructor which did not used to be the case in the past.

This is of course assuming your Class 1 OML has unrestricted Class 2 privileges which is nearly always the case.

Radgirl
10th Jan 2014, 20:12
I hope this doesnt sound too disheartening but your OML isnt due to a risk of incapacitation such as might be applied for cardiac disease but due to a field defect which is presumably permanent. I do wonder if an otherwise sympathetic employer will proceed on learning of this. Imagine you are the handling pilot and the other pilot has his head down and you fail to avoid. However low the risk (and it is presumably a small field defect to get your medical) I am not sure I would accept the issue in one of my pilots if only due to the risk from lawyers acting for bereaved passengers should the worst occur.

Denti
10th Jan 2014, 20:53
@Fostex: sorry i was only speaking about airline level flying and instructing. At least over here in germany one can technically achieve a TRI/TRE rating, however cannot use that in a real aircraft which require multicrew operation, which basically reduces it to an SFI state as simulator instructing is still possible.

As the medical over here doesn't make a difference in OML level between class 1 and 2 a class 1 level with an OML restriction will restrict the class 2 part to OML as well. It is the same for all other restrictions as well.

Ulster
10th Jan 2014, 21:12
As the medical over here doesn't make a difference in OML level between class 1 and 2, a class 1 level with an OML restriction will restrict the class 2 part to OML as well

That's an interesting observation, which is definitely NOT the same here in the UK. Our class 1 certificates which carry an OML ( I'm 100% certain of this, since I issued one only this morning ! ) carry a very clear statement that the restriction does NOT apply to class 2 privileges. I think this is because in PPL and light aircraft activity in the UK there is ( "officially" ) no such being as a "co-pilot". Your average C172 or PA28 is flown by the P1 . . . . . . period. He can, of course, also choose to fly said aircraft on his own ; a choice not open to your average B737 or A320 jockey !

The nearest equivalent here, which can be applied to a class 2 medical in the case of increase in perceived risk, is the OSL ( "safety pilot" ) restriction, which requires the holder to fly only with a qualified pilot in the other seat (as against a non-flyer passenger).

Fostex
11th Jan 2014, 08:19
It is my understanding that the whole Class 1 OML / Class 2 unrestricted arrangement with the UK CAA is based on a risk assessment.

A pilot flying with a Class 1 will be a commercial pilot trained to a higher standard. Therefore the majority of risk on any flight will come from a chance of pilot incapacitation rather that pilot skill / ability, the stipulations of a Class 1 medical attempting to mitigate against this. If an individual cannot satisfy them then an OML will be issued to attempt to allow the pilot to fly commercially whilst not increasing the risk.

A pilot flying on a Class 2 however will be trained to the standards of a private licence and so less of the risk during flight operations comes from the pilot's risk of incapacitation, but rather from the pilot's skill and or ability. Therefore it is deemed safe for a pilot with a Class 1 OML to operate with an unrestricted ( Class 2 ) for non-commercial operations.