PDA

View Full Version : ILS for Gladstone

vme
30th Jan 2013, 09:55
Gas companies have combined to fund an instrument landing system for Gladstone airport. It is due to be installed by the end of the year.

New landing technology will aid Gladstone pilots in 2014 | Gladstone Observer (http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/news/system-will-aid-pilots/1735889/)

PLovett
30th Jan 2013, 10:05
Why the heck can't Australia get WAAS? Surely it would be cheaper, could be applied to more airports and provide almost the same minima?

Oktas8
30th Jan 2013, 10:20
Gas companies have combined to fund...

Who do you have in mind to fund the space based augmentation system for the Australian continent? It would be a lot more $ than one ILS (cheaper per airport, but a much bigger total investment.)

Related to that, how would the accountants get a return on their investment?

travelator
30th Jan 2013, 10:31
The return on the investment would be their workers arriving and working as scheduled.

So currently there are only 2 ILSs in Queensland. :rolleyes:
When the technology is built it will be the third device of its kind to operate in Queensland.

Jabawocky
30th Jan 2013, 10:32
And how will the ILS LOC equipment fit around all the railway lines etc on the other side of the fence?

Could be interesting.

Indeed, the federal government should be doing this WAAS thing for the benefit of all Australians and if the resource companies see benefit in Gladstone surely they would all see benefits everywhere else if WAAS was introduced.

Dumb lot in Cantberra. :ugh:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
30th Jan 2013, 11:13
Hear Hear Jaba......

Why oh why cannot the 'Mining Tax' pay for it, and when all of those 'hardworking OZ Family' members actually arrive at WORK - 'ON TIME' the whole nation will benefit!!

So there!!!
Vote for me in September.....:p:eek:

morno
30th Jan 2013, 12:13
I believe the ILS will be for runway 28. Perfect, the wind only favours that runway for about 2 days a year, :E.

morno

Flying Binghi
30th Jan 2013, 12:19
...Dumb lot in Cantberra...

OH, i wouldn't go getting to attached to them GPS thingys...

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/500557-waas-australia-4.html

VH-FTS
30th Jan 2013, 22:00
I believe the ILS will be for runway 28. Perfect, the wind only favours that runway for about 2 days a year

Simple - fly the approach to the DA then circle at 300/400ft, or 1100 at night. Easy! :ok::E

baswell
30th Jan 2013, 22:38
$10.5M seems a bit much. Maybe $9.5M for the project managers, $1M for the ILS?

rutan around
31st Jan 2013, 03:29
Workers arriving on time had nothing to do with it. The gas plants had 2 choices. Build long expensive horizontal burnoff pipes to burn off excess gas so the hot gas plumes stayed close to the ground or build cheap vertical burnoff chimneys with hot plumes rising into the circuit area and supply a $10.5 million ILS so aircraft could dodge the plumes. Option 2 was cheaper. They should have plenty of spare cash.Locals up that way pay 20% to 30% of a projects value to local government for various made up charges. The Gas Plants pay Council zero upfront charges and zero rates. A once only payment of 1% of project investment would give $600 million to Council-enough to fix most of it's woes. Meanwhile if you want to talk to someone from Gladstone you'd better visit Bundaberg or Hervey Bay.
Cheers RA

Username here
31st Jan 2013, 05:13
So currently there are only 2 ILSs in Queensland.

I guess there are if you don't count YBBN (2), YAMB, YBOK, YBCS (2), and YBTL...

morno
31st Jan 2013, 05:14
Simple - fly the approach to the DA then circle at 300/400ft, or 1100 at night. Easy!

Yes, simple, but why build an ILS to do that when I can already do that with an RNAV approach....

Aerodynamisist
2nd Feb 2013, 00:53
Good to see a few more ILS going in and at no cost to the aviation industry it is a bonus. If it's used or not they are handy to have around at renewal time. Bring it on I say, next we need them at Emerald and Mackay - heavy industry cam pay for those aswell thanks.

nitpicker330
2nd Feb 2013, 01:36
What, you think you won't be charged a fee to use the new ILS? Even if you don't land at YMAV you are charged to make an Approach :D

http://www.avalonairport.com.au/cms/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Schedule-of-Aviation-Charges-01-10-124.pdf

Ando1Bar
29th Oct 2013, 00:48
A current Gladstone NOTAM talks about the ILS being for runway 10. Is this the case or is it a typo in the NOTAM? Everything I've read/heard previously said runway 28 would (unfortunately) get the ILS.

Going Nowhere
29th Oct 2013, 01:21
Nope, it's runway 10.

Most of the red and white bits and pieces are in place.

frothy
30th Oct 2013, 03:32
http://oi43.tinypic.com/4v5wlw.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/dy8vwj.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/1zd9qn7.jpg

Some of the red and white bits.GLT ILS Rwy 10

Frothy

startingout
30th Oct 2013, 04:09
Will it be runway aligned? unlike the current rnav which is off by a fair way. If so I expect a fairly steep approach path.

alphacentauri
30th Oct 2013, 04:35
Yes it's runway aligned. Approach path is standard 3 degrees

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

Capn Bloggs
30th Oct 2013, 05:09
Will it be runway aligned? unlike the current rnav which is off by a fair way.
Waddya mean? It puts you on the CL at 1nm out. That should be enough... :E

Jabawocky
30th Oct 2013, 06:31
I hope all them electric coal trains do not do nasty things to the signals :uhoh:

I will have to go up there and try it out, especially now the new rules mean I have to keep my CIR current despite having a PIFR to back me up. :{

frothy
30th Oct 2013, 06:38
Should be commisioned early in the New Year

Frothy

Capn Bloggs
30th Oct 2013, 06:40
I hope all them electric coal trains do not do nasty things to the signals
Wait for the AIP amendment: ILS protected area includes no trains!

I will have to go up there and try it out, especially now the new rules mean I have to keep my CIR current...
At last I can safely share the clouds with Jabba; he'll finally know what he's doing! :}

Jabawocky
30th Oct 2013, 11:53
No bloggs......bad assumption....big time.

Hey the closest you came to Retard Vehicle mayhem was Port Hedland I think? Or was it somewhere else?? Memory is foggy now. PH I reckon. Close call that one :}

Capn Bloggs
30th Oct 2013, 12:34
Hey the closest you came to Retard Vehicle mayhem was Port Hedland I think?
Correct. Best part about that encounter was I could just get up out of my seat and run! Being on the ground has it's advantages when confronted with pushy VFR pilots... :E

VH-FTS
25th Mar 2014, 12:14
How'd the Gladstone ILS fair today given it's the first day of really bad weather since it was commissioned. Does the amended DA of 560' make it any use? The RNAV was close to that anyway...

Capn Bloggs
25th Mar 2014, 12:45
Haven't been there but...

RNAV-Z bent. RNAV-Z over big hill! ILS always nicer!

Pretty poor form that the DA got lifted so much!! What's with that?

VH-FTS
25th Mar 2014, 12:48
The ILS is over a big hill too. Plus a whole bunch of restrictions to the north west due to terrain. And the PAPI doesn't match up for a few more days.

alphacentauri
25th Mar 2014, 19:57
DA was amended to match LOC minima at CASA direction, at the last minute.

CASA have some issues with the runway and are currently claiming that it does not comply to support a precision approach.

megle2
26th Mar 2014, 04:17
"Casa have some issues" you can say that again
Either the runway complies or it doesn't
So who hasn't done their homework

Capn Bloggs
26th Mar 2014, 04:33
And the PAPI doesn't match up for a few more days
Arr, yes, that'd be the ERSA MEHT of 49ft when in reality it is only 38ft, and has been that way for months, if not years... :=

alphacentauri
26th Mar 2014, 05:39
Meagle, you are preaching to the converted.

When the project began they were advised they were compliant. An inspection of the current Mos139 and Mos173 supports this. Turns out CASA are now questioning the contents of their own MOS's and at the end of project have declared that the goalposts have changed.

frothy
26th Mar 2014, 06:00
We see the ILS at Gladstone is now on line. Seems to have got a good workout over the last couple of days. How is it People ?

Frothy

frothy
27th Mar 2014, 08:02
Sorry about starting a new thread on this (locked). I haven't checked in for a while and wasn't up to speed with the current state of play.
Just wanted to see how the ILS was going as the ceilings have been down to a couple of hundred feet with ground vis to probably 100metres at times.
There's talk around the length of rwy 10 being reduced to about 1600m due to the new CASA (ICAO) Runway width requirements due to the culvert under the runway at the 28 thresholder end. That takes it back to the length prior to the $65m upgrade. Great Mate !!!!!

Frothy