PDA

View Full Version : Information request about first class medical certificate in Gatwick

davidteen14
29th Jan 2013, 17:14
Hello everyone ! I'm David, 18 years old. This is my first post on this forum, so, please be patient with my little faults. :sad:
As the title says, I'm requesting some information about this medical exam.
I want to mention that I'm from Romania and I'm loooking forward to passing this exam in England because I trust more the English authorities. The Romanian doctors told me something but I became more confused...they're doing it in a vert complicated way here.
First of all, I want to know what the medical examination is about ? What kind of medical test will I have to do ? How much is this examination ? How long does it last ? Will I receive the certificate in the same day ?
Secondly, how do I get there ? What means of transport will I have to use ? I'll be landing in Luton and Gatwick is on the other side of the city... :rolleyes:

Thank you very much for your help !!!

P.S. : I've done a little research before creating this thread but I figured out that it would be better for me to ask you guys here, directly. The information I've found was a little bit unclear and outdated. (2007 or so... )

GlasgowBoy
29th Jan 2013, 21:58
Hey David!:ok:

I went for my Class 1 medical towards the end of last year. Failed the class 1 but was given a class 2. I failed it on my eyesight - particularly my left eye. I just fell short of the acceptable parameters to be granted a class 1.

My best bit of advice (which I, myself, deeply regret not adhering to) is to get an eye test done before your class 1. Have you already booked and paid (the £370 / approx €415) for the class 1?? If not - GET AN EYETEST FIRST!!:ok:

Seriously, this is the part which many folk fail on.

About the medical itself. Mines lasted about 5 hours. However, I should stress that I had to undergo additional eye tests, which took much longer than the usual 4 hours.

All my medical consisted of, was: eye tests; hearing tests, blood tests, urine sample, spirometry tests (lung functions and the hideous "blowing" test where you blow into a tube until you're eyes are almost bulging out your head!!) and a general check-up of my body.

Another guy who was there at the same time as me, had to run around the entire CAA building as he was suffering from mild asthma. He passed his medical though, with no issues.

Assuming you're in pretty much good health, you should be fine. However, I can't stress it enough: have an eye test carried out before going to your medical. It might just save you a load of hassle!:ok:

I can't help with getting to LGW from LTN as I stayed at LGW the night before my medical and flew back up to GLA when I was finished.

I wish you the very best of luck David!! Pprune is an excellent source for advice and information - it helped me a great deal, and no doubt will continue to do so in the future!:D

Good luck!;):ok:

gingernut
29th Jan 2013, 23:18
First of all, I want to know what the medical examination is about ? What kind of medical test will I have to do ?Worth a search? Be yourself on the day of the examination. Don't put anything positive on the "past medical history" form without checking with us guy's first.

Don't ever lie:)

davidteen14
30th Jan 2013, 08:39
Nope, I have not booked yet and I didn't pay the 415 Eur. I guess I will have to book my appoinment by phone, but, how do I pay ? I have some relatives in London, they will help me with the phone call. I guess that I can't pay from Romania, or I might have this posibility via a credit card ?
I never had eye problems or any medical problems, just little colds. Anyway, I'll follow your advice and I'll do an eye test, just to be sure.

Thank you very much !