PDA

View Full Version : Busted a TFR, will any airline hire me now???

Jrw387
29th Jan 2013, 13:49
Hey guys, I nicked the P-40 TFR recently after a mix up happened with flight following and a bit of confusion. I didn't get greeted by any F-15s or secret service. Basically I am getting hit with "carelessness and recklessness", "TFR Violation", and 30 day suspension. All of the legalities have been dealt with so "lawyering up" is no longer an option. This first time offense can't be the end of my flying career can it??

My main question is will any airline/company hire me with these violations on my record? I'm an Instrument rated pilot working on my Commercial certificate with a little over 200hrs.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has been hired with a violation or knows of anyone who has. Thanks!

Sincerely
A fellow pilot in need of help

Prazum
29th Jan 2013, 16:59
The P-40 is a very serious violation , as I am sure you know. If your up against people of the same hours experience as you when applying for a job the p40 is seriously going to hinder you I would have thought.
Lets hope some Airline recruiter can give you a definitive answer

Jrw387
29th Jan 2013, 21:51
Yeah dumbest mistake of my short pilot career and now I feel like I put all of this time and money into flying for nothing!

Hearing from an Airline Recruiter would be great regardless of whether or not I get a positive answer from them, I just haven't really heard ANYTHING about people in my situation and I am really interested about the outcomes.

Tinstaafl
30th Jan 2013, 02:29
Did you submit a NASA report in a timely manner ie as soon as you were aware that you'd made a mistake? That NASA report protects you from being penalized if the error was a genuine mistake. Doesn't stop the infraction going on your record though.

If it was a warning letter you got then it will be cleared from your record in two years. In this case I don't think that applies.

Jrw387
30th Jan 2013, 03:43
Yeah filed a NASA the day it happened. Right now I'm in the process of appealing the sanction but mostly trying to get "careless and reckless" off of my record....which I doubt will happen.

Mainly I'm just looking to hear from anyone who had something similar happen to them or any airline recruiters that have dealt with this kind of situation.

PURPLE PITOT
30th Jan 2013, 11:41
Look up Truckmaster in the phone book.

Jrw387
30th Jan 2013, 13:53
Thank you for the constructive criticism PURPLE PITOT. :ugh:

Gulfstreamaviator
31st Jan 2013, 08:48
Seriously, put up the best defence you can, and then tell any recruiter the truth.
Severe weather, rotor cloud, hot air from the secret document incinerator.

Flying Mechanic
31st Jan 2013, 13:14
Yep just be honest in interview, there's a good chance the people on the other side of the interview desk have done worse! Everyone has made mistakes in aviation at some point.

I know a guy on an airline interview panel who landed a Sea King chopper....gear up on a Aircraft carrier.

Cherrypickers
31st Jan 2013, 21:28
Yeah, I trained with a guy who flew into the restricted airspace at Cape Canaveral, also flew into prohibited airspace, his excuse was he just wanted to take photos. He was also caught smoking in the plane while hour building. He got a job but had to pay for a type rating. I however done none of those things and am jobless. So go figure.

Jrw387
2nd Feb 2013, 00:27
I appreciate the feedback guys, I decided that I'm just gonna keep on flying since its what makes me happy and see what the future brings.....which with a little luck is hopefully a job!:)

OneIn60rule
2nd Feb 2013, 16:13
I don't know about American views on mistakes and so on.

MY own experience is that as long as you admit that YES you did in fact do something WRONG then the reaction will never be too bad.

I've busted airspace at least twice in my life but never denied it. ATC catches you best just say--- umm yes my apologize I really got that one wrong.

The last time I heard anyone go after a pilot was when said pilot was fairly old and authorities wanted to set an example.

I don't think your chances are less or greater but at least you learned something. When time cometh to an interview you just make sure you don't lie through your bottom.

People appreciate honesty.

To finish off,
I wouldn't worry over things you can't control.