PDA

View Full Version : Basair/Hunter Valley Aviation

James Ham
29th Jan 2013, 07:43
G'Day Guys,

Just throwing a post up after reading a lot of reviews about Basair and Hunter Valley Aviation. I don't think that they get a fair rap. I am a currently Part Time student at their Hunter Valley Campus in Cessnock, and when I first started, I'll admit, I wasn't dazzled. I have been there nearly three years now (a little longer than I would like because of work commitments and trying to pay for lessons along with all the other costs in life), and I'm really impressed with how things have gone.

Pre-GFPT, due to inconsistent attendance on my behalf, I had a few instructors, and it was "OK" training. Just before my GFPT, I was able to begin to be a little more consistent in my attendance, and started with a new instructor who will remain nameless. My new instructor was not someone who accepted "that's the standard, next flight!", their attitude is "we're not continuing until you can do this as good or better than me". Admittedly, this means a few more flight hours, but the positive is that once you move onto PPL, you "know" how to fly! This meaning, you do less remedial flights before PPL and CPL flight tests.

I have progressed with this instructor through to PPL, and am now doing CPL and NVFR with them. They have become a good friend, and someone I can trust to give it to me straight. Whilst doing NVFR and CPL, I have also started MECIR part time. My practical instructor for MECIR is someone with a few thousand hours flying charters and cargo in the Northern Territory. Not only is his knowledge of flying and theory awesome to learn from, but his insight into the industry, and what to do to get "the edge", is a true beacon to follow.

The facilities are a bit old, but as I have lived in the area a while, I am aware that this is not their fault, and they do their best to maintain the Council Owned facility. They currently have 8 aircraft at their disposal. Three Cessna C152's, three P28A Piper Warriors, a P28R Piper Arrow and a BE76 Beechcraft Duchess. The aircraft are well maintained, both mechanically and visually, and for their age, fly extremely well. I thoughly enjoy all my flight hours!

I can't speak for Bankstown Campus, but anyone looking for a great place to learn, Hunter Valley Aviation is seriously an awesome place to be! I strongly encourage anyone looking to learn to fly, come out for a Trial Introductory Flight! Honestly, the team out there is unbelievable!

Regards,