PDA

View Full Version : SA 315B Lama

African Eagle
28th Jan 2013, 11:01
Does anyone have any info on how many Lamas are left flying and which countries remain the biggest operators, is it still Switzerland and Italy?

Are there any plans to keep them going?

HeliHenri
28th Jan 2013, 12:40
Hello AE,

24 used by 7 operators in Switzerland, Heli Glaciers is the biggest with 12 Lamas.

Zishelix
28th Jan 2013, 13:35
A reliable source of Alouette & Lama info
ALOUETTE & LAMA (http://www.alouettelama.com)

... current operators - ALOUETTE & LAMA (http://www.alouettelama.com/ops/index.html)

haihio
28th Jan 2013, 17:19
In Italy there are still quite a few Lamas but they are gradually getting phased out.
The internet page posted here by zishelix does not give the correct info about lamas flying in Italy. There are many more companies than just Airgreen.
Just of the top of my head I can name 3 companies that operate lamas on Italy Airstar, Elimast, Elifly and others

Cleared-HOT
28th Jan 2013, 17:21
Pellissier Helicopters in Aosta just recently added one to their fleet. And there is one based in NZ up north being used for ag work. Haven't seen many here in the USA though.

Savoia
28th Jan 2013, 17:28
The internet page posted here by zishelix does not give the correct info about lamas flying in Italy.

Ciao Haihio!

You are correct.

There are around 46 Lamas/Alouette II's registered in Italy (less than there used to be) of which I think about 18 are currently flying.

I stand to be corrected.

Currently registered Lamas and Alouette II's in Italy:

I-AFET
I-AMAY
I-APEX
I-ASIO
I-BLIM (Alouette II)
I-BXWB
I-BXWD
I-BXWE
I-BXWF
I-COOP
I-CTEC
I-CUDP (Alouette II)
I-DEBS (Alouette II)
I-DOCG (Alouette II)
I-EFLY
I-ETIK
I-FLAC (Alouette II)
I-FLAR
I-FLAX
I-FVBD
I-FVPD
I-GREN
I-ICGR
I-IRPI
I-ISAF
I-MAEL
I-MERC
I-MICU
I-MROS
I-MURE
I-NKAS
I-OLEY
I-PAAD (Alouette II)
I-PAFA (Alouette II)
I-PATI
I-PCET (Alouette II)
I-PITO
I-PLLY (Alouette II)
I-PRVV
I-SERY
I-SESI (Alouette II)
I-SOCO
I-SOFI
I-SOND
I-SWSA (Alouette II)
I-VIOL

Torque and temp
28th Jan 2013, 18:20
In early-2010 Eurocopter announced that the Lama and the Alouette III will be supported until the end of the decade.. 2020 that is. The type certificate is said to be revoked that year. They showed some graphs with the active Lamas throughout the world, but I don't remember the numbers though..

We have one here in Sweden, as well as two Alouette IIIs.

vfr440
28th Jan 2013, 21:45
Am delighted to see fellow Ppruners who love this aircraft as much as I do :)

For info.
I have a JV arrangement with a fully CAA/EASA approved Part 147 Company for the B1.3 course, which we completed before Christmas 2012 at the request of a company in Asia. They had approached EC for a training course, but were told no such animal exists any more, :uhoh: so we spent a great deal of time putting the course together, and gaining full approval for it from all the interested Regulatory Authorities

If anyone is interested please pm for more details.
(Mods - I apologise if this may be considered 'advertising' but it isn't intended that way, just there may be some organisations out there who could use a course and there aren't currently any available than ours - unless some one else knows differently, of course).

In my book it is still a unique and wonderful aircraft :D
Best to all - VFR

alouette3
29th Jan 2013, 02:01
If this was only about Lamas in civil aviation this info is pretty accurate.However, if you include Lamas and Alouettes in military service then no list would be complete without naming India.The Armed Forces of that country have more than a few hundred of both types, with the indian Army fielding the lion's share of Lamas because of their high altitude needs.Of course, they are license manufactured under Indian names (Cheetah and Chetak respectively) by Hindustan Areonautics Limited.Last I read, the country was looking for a suitable replacement for both types and for all three services as well as their pretty substantial para military arms.But,given their slow and bureaucratic acquisition process, it will be well past the end of this decade before the stalwarts of the Aerospatiale stable are put to pasture.
Alt3.

Zishelix
29th Jan 2013, 06:12
I appologize, seems I pointed out you on the part of the website which is not updated yet :O Please find a better (and more accurate ;)) overview here Zenfolio | Pierre GILLARD | Alouette & Lama (http://pierregillard.zenfolio.com/alouettelama) ... or check out individual A&L histories my friend and the website owner trying to complete day after day Alouette & Lama (http://www.alouettelama.com/msn/index.html) :D

Btw, he intend to became a PPRuNer later, too busy to join us now ;)

piggybank
29th Jan 2013, 09:17
VFR440 where's the course being held?

Savoia
29th Jan 2013, 10:46
VFR: Well done on this initiative. Bravo! :D

I wish you every success.

Given the fact that I was weaned on executive aircraft, some may be surprised to learn that the Lama is in fact one of my all time favourite helicopters.

For while she looks as though she may have been designed by Frank Hornby, and though she shakes like a drunk in withdrawal, and despite the poor leg room of her rear-seat passengers, and even though she can't accommodate their baggage, yet .. for her size, her performance is dazzling .. and who, pray tell, can resist the exquisite shrill of her ancient Artouste as it leaps into life - a call to flight for anyone within a kilometre of her frame!

And all this talk of Lamas reminds of a little poem I once read, composed by a boy who had once watched live Lamas working in the Italian Alps.

Lama dear lama, rugged and rare,
built with conviction, a strong sturdy mare.

Who can compare, with your perspex and tin,
for even you fly, while lacking a fin!

Even the Dalai, who shares in your name,
could never deny, supporting your gain.

Your framework and wires, might others repel,
but for me you shall always be my dear belle.

Fly high lovely lama, breathing thin air,
for there you belong, for those who will dare.

ixjwtO8KSMY&feature=endscreen

HeliHenri
29th Jan 2013, 11:04
One of my favorite :

(Pyrénées France)

Une journée avec PAGES Hélicoptères - Helico-Fascination (http://www.helico-fascination.com/photos/294-une-journee-avec-pages-helicopteres.html)

http://nsa32.casimages.com/img/2013/01/29/130129010532254897.jpg (http://www.casimages.com/img.php?i=130129010532254897.jpg)

Savoia
29th Jan 2013, 11:14
Bellissima! :ok:

Fun Police
29th Jan 2013, 12:45
Skydance in the US use Lama's to support seismic drills. they look like fantastic longline platforms.
i've never been in one but i'd like to try one out!

soloviev
29th Jan 2013, 13:00
Hi.
EASA regulation does not mandate a theoretical training to add type rating to the AML. As Lama is a single engined helicopter, demonstration of experience plus examination is enough. It's very difficult to find someone wishing to afford type training plus practical element costs to add a single engine to the license.

500 Fan
29th Jan 2013, 16:56
Two great videos of the surprisingly nimble Lama. I could watch this first video a hundred times and never get bored.

SA 315B Lama extreme flying - Bex 07 - YouTube

SA 315B Lama extreme flying by Bernd van Doornick at Tracouet - Switzerland - YouTube

500 Fan.

haihio
29th Jan 2013, 19:09
Hey, Cleared Hot, what's your game???? you're in LA and you know that Pellisier helicopter in italy added a Lama to their fleet and some other guys in New Zealand are using Lamas. Are you spying on us all!!!!!!!!:)

Helicopter at work in the Italian Alps.mpg - YouTube[YOUTUBE]

Elimast - YouTube

Lama fans: check out these videos!:)

Ciao Savoia, Saluti dal Lago di Como!

vfr440
29th Jan 2013, 19:10
Piggybank - Course location would normally be at your maintenance base. We have duly approved facilities in UK near Oxford, but the rub is we must have an aircraft (close) which we can visit and identify all the parts discussed during the theoretical training. Unfortunately there are no longer any Lamas G-registered, or, AFAIK, based in UK. That's the only stumbling block. CAA have been hard work but accept remote site approval with procedure/checklist highlighted in the MTOE. We have a portfolio of courses and have completed training in Asia, Middle East and Africa on this basis.

Soloviev - I am sure your statement is/may be correct in your country.One of the VERY tedious aspects of Part 147 is that EASA have devolved admin of the approvals to the local NAA, thus the aspect you highlight is, unfortunately, not across-the-board. So far we have completed training in several European countries, to the EASA standard, and yet on completion there are always queries raised by the individual NAAs. It's extremely frustrating. (and leads to the consumption of huge quantities of Vino Rosso - Savoia would approve :ok:)

More seriously we sought the wisdom of the CAA's Man-in-Charge on this point and Licensing and Training Standards were firm on the point (adamant in fact) that since the Eurocopter SA315B Lama/TM Artouste III has an EASA C of A, training standards would have to be to a Part 147 approval. ECF, as inherited TCH, don't do it any more, of course.

And you are quite right, the practical element is not as involved as that prescribed for Twins and more complex helicopters, but a complete, not necessarily airworthy, aircraft with engine was a requirement to fulfil at least the intent of the practical element.Note that the pre-requisites for undertaking our approved course specifically includes prior experience, and thus the duration is just two weeks long; 1 each for A/F and engine, and the end result is a duly approved Part 66 certificate that is presented to the Regulatory authority, together with the prescribed fee to have the endorsement made as the type-rating upon your Part 66 AML

We understand that your defined route of experience, worksheets and exam only applies to Annex 2 aircraft for which EASA has not validated a C of A, and thus National Rules apply (and this includes a National Licence; it is not legal to sign off an NAA aircraft with a Part 66 licence).

As I say, it would be helpful if all members of the EASA 'club' were to sing from the same hymn sheet - not the case at present.

S- mille grazie, we try (and we do pretty much only drink Italian wine - just huge quantities of it................:))

VFR

cpt
29th Jan 2013, 20:54
In EASA rolling mill world, RIP friendly Lamas and Alouettes...:sad:

Now, composites, digital monitoring and plastic brains. Next, drones....

Pilots, the weak link, will become optional ....

md 600 driver
29th Jan 2013, 21:40
There's a lama ,allouette 316,and a allouette 319 based leeds uk, allouete318 based Kent uk ish, allouette 11 based hull

vfr440
30th Jan 2013, 08:17
MD, Thank you VERY much indeed for the info; could make a huge difference to courses in UK :ok:. My (limited) research was confined to the Midlands area looking for remnants from the old Dollar operation.

Pm me with the detail/people I should get in touch with? Many thanks and I owe you some Italian wine :O - VFR

African Eagle
30th Jan 2013, 10:50
Some top responses and very interesting reading - thanks guys. :ok:

In early-2010 Eurocopter announced that the Lama and the Alouette III will be supported until the end of the decade.. 2020 that is. The type certificate is said to be revoked that year.

What will happen to Lama owners then?

In Tanzania Viking Helicopters had a Lama in about 1980 and Evergreen have had them in West Africa but also in Ethiopia and Sudan as far as I know when they were fitted with the particle filter.

There are a couple currently in the Congo and recently there was an Italian registered one in Kenya.

Would like to know how much longer they will last. If you buy one now will it only be allowed to fly until 2020?

soloviev
30th Jan 2013, 12:06
vfr440, thanks for additional infos about your training schedule.
Regarding type training and type examination, please check GM.66.A.45 for Group 2 aircraft. That's all. Nobody stops you to complete a full type training but, as regulation alleviates the requirements for non complex machines, that's helping our job.
Regulators amongst Europe are, as you say, unfortunately not aligned and it's always fair competition between operators that's made difficult. I've experience with Swiss UFAC, Italian ECAC, UK CAA amongst the others and the difference between them are quite evident. But, on my opinion, regulation is regulation and operators must fight to have it applied commonly.
Regarding wine, let's have a taste of Franciacorta Brut then tell me something about. Ciao

vfr440
30th Jan 2013, 13:15
Soloviev -
Now there's a good idea :ok:
Absolutely understand and agree the GM and several other points you make. Next time we (all) in EASA gain a 'level playing-field' it will be a first :(

This wasn't designed to be a treatise on EASA and NAAs, nor was it marketing either. Just that if faced with an intransigent Regulatory Authority, anywhere in the world, if the buzz words "Part 147 course" eases the passage to Certifying staff authorisation, we are only too pleased to help. And we are MILES cheaper than an OEM, since we have less overheads and we are "of" the industry (both principals are Part 66 LAEs and occasionally practising ones since it is less frustrating :uhoh:)

BTW the Lama was an add-on to the current portfolio of all the EC and Bell singles and twins, together with the engines; it is not the lead-machine on our books though personally I wish it was (Lama people are rather special people - and they drink wine too, well most of them do) PM me for details if you are interested.

African Eagle - in 2020. This may be an interesting scenario. Assuming that spares can be acquired prior to the cut-off date, without doubt the aircraft can be maintained to an airworthy standard BUT.......... if they no longer have someone underwriting the Type Certificate, I really suspect they would not be allowed to operate CAT. Private, yes, CAT no. What does anyone else think? They are NOT Public transport aircraft anyway (really), so maybe a concession could be given for Aerial Work as a category - at which they excel - but it is a good question, since what is decided by EASA may well have a domino effect throughout the global regulatory authorities.

Look forward to any comments fielded, thank you in advance -VFR

Torque and temp
30th Jan 2013, 17:07
What will happen to Lama owners then?They will most likely (unfortunately) have to prepare for Alouette / Lama fleet succession..

Here are some of the highlights that were presented by Eurocopter at the Alouette seminar on December 2nd, 2010:

60% of the Alouettes and 50% of the Lamas are without customer data inputs since more than 4 years, making it difficult for EC to forecast customer needs.

Alouette II: 1326 aircraft produced until 1975
Alouette III: 1437 aircraft produced until 1985
Lama: 447 aircraft produced until 1985
I guess they are not including the license built helicopters?

A number of issues leading to the retirement of the fleet, with one of the main reasons being loss of technical knowledge (EC & vendors), high effort to maintain erratic spares production & R&O capacities, obsolescence affecting majority of low rotation items. Another aspect is that the reindustrialization or redesign is getting more &and more complex:

Old technologies
Lack of equipment / parts specifications to reallocate
Development / industrialization processes and Certifications basis far more demanding today
EC and Major suppliers tendency to allocate in priority design resources to new developments increased by lack of forecasts on Alouette needs

This is leading to

Increase of sustaining costs & lead-time
Focus on high rotation parts / equipments
EC price / availability parts database not kept permanently updated (erratic parts, unforeseen obsolescence), which leads to a reduced spare part catalogue.

Eurocopter says that the type certificate will be supported until the end of the decade, with the EC support scope reduced step by step. Degradation in the following order: Blades/Equipments, MRO, New Spares and untimately TC revocation. Alouette II will be retired prior to Lama/Alouette III (2018 vs. 2020).

Fleet breakdown per end of 2009:
Europe: 60 Alouette II, 200 Alouette III, 110 Lama
America: < 100 aircraft
Africa: < 100 aircraft
Asia: < 200 aircraft

Fleet leaders 2009:

a/c type - s/n - status - last info date - flight hrs end 2009 - region

SA 316 - 2351 - In service - 10/31/1988 - 29.100 - Europe
SA 315 - 2322 - In service - 12/31/2000 - 26.900 - South Africa
SA 316 - 1923 - In service - 03/31/1999 - 26.500 - Europe
SA 315 - 0004 - In service - 08/31/2005 - 24.500 - Europe
SA 3160 - 1667 - In service - 06/30/1997 - 23.200 - Asia
SA 316 - 1762 - In service - 06/1/2002 - 22.000 - Europe
SA 315 - 0006 - In service - 11/3/2009 - 21.700 - North America

African Eagle
30th Jan 2013, 17:50
Torque and temp, thanks for this info. Sounds a bit sad.

I'm guessing a company could buy the type certificate from EC and maybe contract HAL to provide the support?

Is that a possibility do you think?

Torque and temp
30th Jan 2013, 18:06
Is that a possibility do you think?

Well, similar stuff has happened in the past. Scott's did buy the TC for Bell 47, but I personally doubt that the TC for Lama/AL.III will be sold. The helicopters are still, at some levels, quite potent competitors to some of EC's current civil range.

Savoia
31st Jan 2013, 12:13
Sounds a bit sad.

It shall be a sad day indeed when the sound of Lama traversing the hills of Northern Italy is no longer heard. :( They have been such a constant feature of rotary-wing aviation here - iconic in fact!

Evergreen had had them in West Africa but also in Ethiopia and Sudan as far as I know when they were fitted with the particle filter.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-JiAsY4csPHA/UQppsZmOGnI/AAAAAAAALvk/prphy2T-38k/s829/Evergreen+SA315B+3+N55963+Aug+12+Portland+Hillsboro.png
Evergreen SA315B Lama N55963 (wearing sand filters) at Portland's Hillsboro Airport

Haihio: Grazie, è un bellissimo posto quello dove ti trovi. Saluti da Milano (anche se non sono lì spesso). Bellissimi video! :ok:

ericferret
31st Jan 2013, 12:53
N reg might be an answer for some as the FAA have their own type certificate.

vfr440
31st Jan 2013, 13:44
Eric,
Good suggestion, however................... is not the FAA Type Cert dependent upon EC (in this instance) accepting responsibility for the airworthy standard? Certainly that was the case in UK, since a Regulatory Authority is hardly in a position to legally direct maintenance and airworthiness activities on an aircraft for which they have no direct input to the actual design engineering? I am thinking here primarily of the product liability aspect so often exercised within USA :sad:

Before EASA, for UK, CAA would assess an aircraft and its National TC; then if it met the standard of BCAR (with possibly the addition of the infamous 'Special Conditions') a UK TC would be granted.I think the same principal would apply, now, to FAA given the rationalisation of the spat over reciprococity and the validation of the EASA/FAA bi-lateral.

But I may well be wrong, guidance appreciated - VFR

peeush
31st Jan 2013, 13:53
Guess I'm late in posting in this forum. A couple of more than what has been spoken in this forum about the numbers of LAMA are still flying in Indian subcontinent. I do agree that it may not be so by the end of this decade but at present they do have the numbers.

ericferret
31st Jan 2013, 15:18
VFR 440
I know what you are saying but the Bristol Brittania and DeHavilland Comet both have FAA type certificates as does the Djinn with Sud Aviation stated as the holder. The Americans have their own way of doing things so..........

I was at the Eurocopter operators conference just over two years ago when they announced that they were intending to stop blade production.

Did not go down well. One of the operators pilots was in the same hotel as us and took the time to explain where the Lama beats the Squirrel hands down in a number of areas.

As early as the mid-eighties the Lama was an embarrassment to Aerospat.
We were asked what we would like to see at the factory, unanimous we all wanted to see where they built the Lama's. They refused point blank to show us. We had more chance at getting in to one of the top secret areas.

I think I also owe you an email re Lama tech instructors from before christmas. Not forgotten just in the to do list.

ericferret

African Eagle
1st Feb 2013, 07:11
peeush, are these Lama or Cheetah?

Also, do you know if when EC pull the type certificate for the Lama whether this will affect Cheetah production also? Are they licenced under the same TC?

HeliHenri
1st Feb 2013, 07:47
Nice video of a Lama in Sweden from our friend Tat in the RATW thread :

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/243966-rotorheads-around-world-videos-50.html#post7663057

enstrompilot
1st Feb 2013, 21:14
hi

I have 3 x al2's

1 x 313b and 2 x 318c's

are these any good for your courses

they are based in Eastbourne, but often in Alcester so could drop in when needed - do you have hangerage ?

ian

vfr440
2nd Feb 2013, 05:38
Ian,
A very kind offer, which I'd be pleased to explore if something should come up in the future, thank you very much.
Er..... no, no hangarage immediately adjacent, but I can look into that for 'near by'.

Offer much appreciated - VFR

Torque and temp
4th Feb 2013, 18:00
N reg might be an answer for some as the FAA have their own type certificate.
Good suggestion, however................... is not the FAA Type Cert dependent upon EC (in this instance) accepting responsibility for the airworthy standard?
The Americans have their own way of doing things so..........

I'm not fully sure, but you might be able to register individual Lamas as national "experimental aircraft" in order to keep some of them flying after 1 Jan 2020. They would (of course) be private-only, but the surviving aircraft would be of great sentimental value.. just imagine hearing that old Artouste engine slowly spooling up when the other ships are long gone! :ok:

500guy
4th Feb 2013, 23:48
Heliservices in Hong Kong has several SA 315s and possibly a few other varients. Last I was there I believe they had 6 airframes 3 of which were operational.

Heliservices | SA 315B LAMA (http://www.heliservices.com.hk/info/detail/SA315BLAMA/en/)

African Eagle
23rd Apr 2013, 11:01
The Indian Army has placed a $77 million order with Hindustan Aeronautics (HAL) for 20 Cheetal helicopters, a re-engined variant of the AerospatialeSA316B Lama that was built under license in India as the Cheetah. The order is a short-term measure for logistics support to the Indian troops on the Siachen Glacier because of delays to the twice-bid competition for 197 reconnaissance and surveillance helicopters (RSH). The future of that requirementis uncertain.

http://www.ainonline.com/sites/default/files/uploads/3-2013-1-hal-cheetal.jpg

HAL has committed to “supply 20 Cheetals over the next four years besides providing training to its pilots and technical crew,” the company said in a statement. It has already delivered nine Cheetals from the 10-aircraft order the Indian Air Force placed as long ago as 2006, a HALofficial told AIN. The company is building Cheetals at a rate of one every 16 months.

The new version is powered by a TurbomecaTM333 2M2engine. “Cheetal is just a lifeline. It is needed urgently because the troops are in a rarified atmosphere and casualties have to be evacuated as fast as possible,” an army official told AIN.

But with the production of aluminum rotor blades now ended in France by Eurocopter and the TM333 engine also now out of production, there is concern about the supply chain for the Cheetal. With HAL insisting on paying only the price for these items that was charged when they were in full production, a delay in deliveries is inevitable, an MoD official told AIN.

The Cheetal can operate at an altitude of up to almost 23,000 feet and has a range of 346 nm with an endurance of three and a half hours. The TM333 2M2 is fitted with a full authority digital engine control system (Fadec) and an electronic backup control box system that automatically takes over engine control in the event of a Fadec failure, said HAL.

The company describes the Cheetal as “a multirole helicopter, best suited for missions such as personnel transport, casualty evacuation, reconnaissance and aerial survey, logistic air support, rescue operations and underslungloads.”

HAL?S CHEETAL MEETS INDIAN ARMY?S URGENT NEEDS | Article - Sat 02 Mar 2013 05:31:00 AM UTC | airsoc.com, reach for the sky. (http://airsoc.com/articles/view/id/5131bb31c6f8fa2e66000002/hal-s-cheetal-meets-indian-army-s-urgent-needs#.UXZk3qJTCd5)

I feel really sorry for those Indian troops caught up in that rarified atmosphere! :ooh:

enstrompilot
28th Apr 2013, 21:53
Hi

I have EASA reg al2 in uk

Can bring along for the course to poke at if that is any help

Based in south uk

Ian

C-Zico
29th Apr 2013, 18:29
Here's a picture I took in Switzerland in March

http://helixo.weebly.com/uploads/3/9/5/0/3950609/772370_orig.jpg

Bcopters500
1st May 2013, 00:15
:{Cascade ,Idaho was my last fire season with this machine(Denali Lama) and it showed up to HAI and it recieved a 25 hour inspection after the show at my other job and then EVERGREEN go bye bye!

African Eagle
1st May 2013, 20:27
C-Zico, its a nice photo. :D

It would be nice to see any more from other Lama operations around the world.

Savoia
2nd May 2013, 14:54
Idaho was my last fire season with this machine (Denali Lama).

Yes well, there is the Dalai Lama .. and then there was the Denali Lama!

Mount Denali - (aka Mount McKinley)
Elevation: 20,320 ft.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--IQuj0rsxfE/UYJ5o4fwEoI/AAAAAAAANOA/PA186D6tSoM/w767-h510/Alaska_Mount_McKinley_Denali_alpenglow.jpg
Mount Denali at sunset

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Vfj-83qNz1Y/UYJ2vVQFfnI/AAAAAAAANNM/4aeTxliYtDk/w680-h510/Mount+Hunter+and+the+Denali+Lama.jpg
The Denali Lama (or at least one of them) within the Mt. Denali environs

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-g4CyczQdwQw/UYJ2yeNPybI/AAAAAAAANNA/f7tHZ05mKIc/w765-h510/National+Park+Service+personnel+load+the+high+altitude+Lama+ helicopter+evacuating+Claude+Ratte+and+another+injured+climb er+from+14+camp%252C+West+Buttress%252C+denali+Photo+Matt+St een.jpg
The Denali Lama evacuates Claude Ratte and one other injured climber from 14 Camp, West Buttress (Photo: Matt Steen)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4bOS3eNv1PM/UYJ21c7CMeI/AAAAAAAANM0/zsRkDUThZmA/w500-h331/s.jpg
One of the Denali Lama drivers

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-GC5KYHxUbrE/UYJ5mj0H1cI/AAAAAAAANOI/jhkWu1PPLOw/w800-h398/Mt+Denali.jpg
Mt. Denali in flight

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-FtsYjdtwVDI/UYJ2wSyTEoI/AAAAAAAANNg/SkFnMGgZeCw/w681-h510/Denali+Lama.png
The Denali 'Rescue' Lama

Perhaps there are others with some more shots from Evergreen's days running this contract.

Heli-Union
6th May 2013, 10:46
Encore des photos d'altitude plus hautes

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8280/8712801499_e0a09f76da_b.jpg

Himalayan Heli Services (India) VT-WEX SA315B Lama

ericferret
12th May 2013, 15:14
Some Lama shots from 1979, Dollar in Scotland.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7291/8732204356_9b3dac1626_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericferret/8732204356/)
2013-05-12 (61) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericferret/8732204356/) by ericferret (http://www.flickr.com/people/ericferret/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7372/8732206910_86ac710870_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericferret/8732206910/)
2013-05-12 (70) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericferret/8732206910/) by ericferret (http://www.flickr.com/people/ericferret/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7287/8732193274_3667120abc_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericferret/8732193274/)
2013-05-12 (39) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericferret/8732193274/) by ericferret (http://www.flickr.com/people/ericferret/), on Flickr

About a minute after I took this photo a guy in a Morris Minor with glasses as thick as beer bottle bottoms ignored the guys waving him down and drove under the aircraft which he never saw!!!

EX Dollar hands will recognise the "Great White" parked in the background.

Heli-Union
1st Jul 2013, 22:11
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3820/9185634323_eb5b9f4c54_o.jpg

Grenoble Le Versoud 1998

HeliStudent
5th Jul 2013, 09:08
http://www.nordicrotors.com/images_2/display_2/SE-JNA2012-02-24_18:44:43_display_3346.jpg

A Lama helicopter in Sweden. Nordic Rotors - SE-JNA (http://www.nordicrotors.com/SE-JNA/5362#3)

Also a nice Lama at work video.

Levage à Zinal avec Air Glacier - YouTube

On the lama instrument panel in the bottom right corner there is a dial to the right of the instrument with the plane on it, can anyone say what this does please?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--b1DsaCdeGE/UdaLCIK1g4I/AAAAAAAANvs/SAL7784rda0/w481-h401-no/1162517.jpg

Downupside
5th Jul 2013, 09:36
Hi HeliStudent,

It's a circular slide ruler type of computer that surround the collective pitch indicator. With noting the outside air temperature and pressure altitude, the pilot can determine the maximum gross weight at which the outside condition will permit. you can also get from it the maximum pitch setting, actual gross weight (under hovering condition) and density altitude.

I'll try to get a hold on my 35 years old training manual and get you more details.

Very clever at the time.

Cheers
kami

HeliStudent
5th Jul 2013, 09:58
Downupside thank you very much, this is really interesting.

There is a company in Japan which flies the Lama - you can see it in the video below, do you know who they are?

SA315B LAMA Engine-startup ????????? - YouTube

Downupside
5th Jul 2013, 10:22
you're welcome!

It is Akagi Helicopters.

Actually 2 companies are still flying the Lama: 1 at Toho Air Services and 3 at Akagi Helicopters.
They are switching to B3e so Toho will stop operating next year. Akagi may keep them flying a bit more.

Kami

HeliStudent
5th Jul 2013, 10:31
Kami thank you again.

I have found a photo of an Akagi Lama and it has the same green stripe as in the video -

http://images2.jetphotos.net/img/1/3/9/7/21059_1305634793.jpg

There is also something I have not seen before - this Japanese Lama has something connecting the landing gear assembly to the back of the skids like a wavy piece of metal or something?

Also it has two sets of mirrors in front, is this for training purposes?

HeliHenri
5th Jul 2013, 11:21

Some very nice pictures (among 350 and Al3) of Air-Glaciers (Swiss) Lamas :ok: :

Le jeu de pales d'Air-Glaciers, par Richard Chapuis - Photos - Le Nouvelliste Online - Quotidien Valaisan (http://www.lenouvelliste.ch/fr/photos/le-jeu-de-pales-d-air-glaciers-dans-l-objectif-de-richard-chapuis-2274-1198986?idPhoto=1#tn3-0-next)

Heli-Union
6th Jul 2013, 08:23
HeliHenri - Merci pour les photos d'Air-Glaciers. :ok:

Elle sont tres belle.

back of the skids like a wavy piece of metal or something?

Is for stop sling cable to touch skids.

Lama spare parts (http://www.aeroxs.com/blog/aeroxs-news-alouette-lllll-and-lama-parts-and-components-for-sale/)

HeliHenri
6th Jul 2013, 12:44
De rien HU :ok:

And if I'm not mistaken, Heli-Union was in the good days the biggest civilian Lamas operator in the world !

500 Fan
31st Jul 2013, 17:07
Does anyone know the rate of descent for the Lama in autorotation? I am trying to figure out how long it took Jean Boulet to come down during his world record "longest-autorotation" in 1972. Thanks.

500 Fan.

Heli-Union
31st Jul 2013, 17:34
Ah Jean Boulet - what a great man.

I will try to find information for you on this but what I can say now is that he does not have constant ROD in this flight. To start he will drop very fast and lower altitude he slow down.

Savoia
27th Oct 2013, 16:53
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7xzhTty2hQY/Um1EWgFvuFI/AAAAAAAAO4g/VjPw4TxkHRQ/w958-h449-no/Heliswiss+SA315B+Lama+cn+2596+HB-XTD+at+Gruy%25C3%25A8res%252C+Switzerland+18+Jul+08+%2528And y+Davey%2529.jpg
Heliswiss SA315B Lama cn 2596 HB-XTD as seen at Gruyères, Switzerland on 18th July 2008 (Photo: Andy Davey)

Lama SA 315B Heliswiss Beautiful flight over the Swiss Alps 2009 on Vimeo

Deeko01
28th Oct 2013, 07:59
Anyone ever know what became of G-LAMA???

Used to work on that one as well as G-BNNF (where is this one now?) which we rebuilt then it's was put on its side in Ireland not long after......MV was not a happy bunny!!

African Eagle
28th Oct 2013, 20:47
Are Eurocopter still going to revoke the Lama's type certificate in 2020?

Savoia
11th Nov 2013, 17:18
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-jQUn4LZcbhQ/UoEesFRceRI/AAAAAAAAPTU/YzteJR0HKrI/w885-h585-no/Air+Glaciers+SA315B+Lama+HB-XJN+Switzerland+17+Jan+09+%2528Soren+Lindegaard%2529.jpg
Air Glaciers SA315B Lama HB-XJN, Switzerland, 17th January 2009 (Photo: Soren Lindegaard)

Torque and temp
11th Nov 2013, 18:20
Nice post (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/506448-lamas-3.html#post7923942) Helistudent!

For those of you Lama guys that missed it in the video thread (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/243966-rotorheads-around-world-videos-50.html#post7663057) earlier, here is a short video of the Swedish Lama that was featured in one of Helistudent's photos:

d7Jvkv3qlTA

AW_ia_TOR
22nd Nov 2013, 08:44
Anyone know of or can make a recommendation as to companies offering training on the Lama in Europa or even the US? One of the things I have to do before it is too late.

AWiaTOR

Savoia
22nd Nov 2013, 09:04
You may try these to begin with:

Airstar Elicotteri (http://www.airstarelicotteri.com/)

Air Glaciers (http://www.air-glaciers.ch/)

Air Walser (http://www.airwalser.com/company.html)

Air Zermatt (http://www.air-zermatt.ch/air_zermatt_2007_en/content/index1_EN.php)

Eli Ossola (http://www.eliossola.it/index.html)

HelOps (http://www.helops.it/default.htm)

Savoia
23rd Nov 2013, 11:37
ZfrtnxD5wJM

Alouette316
3rd Dec 2013, 00:31
One of my favorite picture that I took last year :

http://pierregillard.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v57/p181040211-3.jpg

Other pictures of Air Walser's Lamas : click here (http://pierregillard.zenfolio.com/airwalser)

And another one of Heli Rezia's HB-ZWA :

http://pierregillard.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v47/p658841172-3.jpg

More here (http://pierregillard.zenfolio.com/helirezia).

Pierre.

Savoia
12th Dec 2013, 09:59
India to deliver two Cheetah helicopters to Afghanistan

According to reports, India will deliver two helicopters to Afghan security forces next month, as part of its support to reconstruct the Afghan national security forces.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-5glA9l29v38/UqmUBNX5dBI/AAAAAAAAQJU/a2HyvZeZGfo/w667-h443-no/Cheetal+Helicopter.jpg

Manufactured by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited in Bangalore, the Cheetah choppers would be used for reconnaissance purposes, sources quoted by local media agencies said.

Defence News - India to deliver two Cheetah helicopters to Afghanistan (http://www.defencenews.in/defence-news-internal.asp?get=new&id=2630)

500 Fan
12th Dec 2013, 14:37
I wonder if the Indian Cheetahs going to Afghanistan will be new-builds or a pair of machines from the current IAF fleet? Presumably they will be ex-IAF machines.

Going back to the Air Zermatt video (all 1 hour, 24 minutes of it); is the Lama still the airframe of choice for high mountain rescue work with AZ or is the AS350 and EC135 also operated in that role? The AS350 seemed to be in use almost solely as a ramp ornament!:ok:

500 Fan.

helipixman
17th Dec 2013, 18:31
Hi Deeko01

G-BNNF as you mention rolled over at Upper Church,Eire on 30.7.96 and was sold in the USA to Roberts Aircraft Co. becoming N345RA from 6.12.96 to 15.10.98. It was then sold in Costa Rica as TI-AXW.

G-LAMA was cancelled from UK register by PDG on 20.6.08 and as far as I know is stored outside at Marignane. It has never been registered in France so wonder why its been stored for so long ?

Anyway some memory jogger pics for you all G-BNNF and G-LAMA all at Cumbernauld as well as another machine briefly used at Cumbernauld LN-OMU which is now in Sweden as SE-JNA

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3773/11423120165_09de1c31b5_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7400/11423143686_ef90d970de_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/3789/11423142314_bfa95641dd_z.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2868/11423286263_ce463c1a14_z.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3771/11423286323_8651fb9beb_z.jpg

Hedski
18th Dec 2013, 15:19
First photo of G-LAMA gets my vote for best colour scheme.

FLY 7
2nd Jan 2014, 20:17
.....purely out of academic interest, what would be the pros and cons of buying one of these for mainly private use in the UK? (not withstanding the contradictions in the ad)

Eurocopter SA 315B Lama Private Jet for sale on AvBuyer.com (http://www.avbuyer.com/aircraft/detailed.aspx?ae=true&AId=34210&NlId=2506&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1)

Nigel Osborn
2nd Jan 2014, 22:00
Very nice helicopter to fly.

Bad points.
Expensive to operate, high fuel consumption, no luggage space, slow cruise.

Good points.
Strong, great for sling loads, huge tail rotor so cross winds no problem, reliable engine, good vision, autos quite easy,

I enjoyed flying them but then I didn't own it!

spinwing
3rd Jan 2014, 03:02
Mmmmm ....

Exactly as Nigel said ... but he forgot to mention the NOISE ...

(a brilliant bit of kit though) :E

cpt
4th Jan 2014, 15:05
hmmmmm spinwing, that's not a "noise", but a song....you can't call a "noise" the melody of an Artouste 3 in a valley or over a jungle...it's unforgetable :)

Remember ?

spinwing
5th Jan 2014, 09:37
Mmmmm ...

Ok then, I'll compromise ...

.... we'll put the 'noise' down in both groups as both GOOD and BAD points .. :)

Jungledog
3rd Sep 2014, 05:31
How many Lama's still operating in the southern hemisphere, and are any on Ag work.

JD:E

fadecdegraded
3rd Sep 2014, 05:46
one on Ag just down the road from your place JD, a bloke williams i believe
Ex northland

KiwiNedNZ
3rd Sep 2014, 08:10
fadec - you are correct. Lakeview Helicopters at Taupo are operating the one that Jay had at Northland Helicopters.

EMS R22
3rd Sep 2014, 08:19
Wonder if they have to still load it in the hover........ :}

Jungledog
3rd Sep 2014, 23:30
Are any of the Indian Cheeth (Lamas) in civilian use any where in the world.

JD

spinwing
4th Sep 2014, 04:36
Mmmm ...

JD ... I believe the Indian machines are military use only and thus do not meet any civillian certification standards.

Cheers

Jungledog
4th Sep 2014, 05:08
B@gger that would breath life into the worlds best helicopters ever made:ok:

SuperF
4th Sep 2014, 11:57
Not sure how that would breath more life into the Huey.... :E

Jungledog
4th Sep 2014, 21:19
Awwww I prefer slim French girls rather than fat A.......n girls, so am sure which one I'd breath life into lol.