PDA

View Full Version : Southport Flying Club

Guptar
28th Jan 2013, 07:13
Was trying to find their website today but it wont come up. has it gone under? or have they made it secret so only the "chosen ones" can see it.

VH-XXX
28th Jan 2013, 09:24
You mean the "chosen" ones that cough up the $20k+?? joining fee???

Rich-Fine-Green
28th Jan 2013, 20:41
It's a deliberate strategy by the SFC.

They want to keep under the radar - so to speak.

No 'visable' website, no road signs and no circuits at the airfield (few local noise complaints), no visiting aircraft allowed and no commercial ops allowed.

The land is leased from the council and the SFC don't want to rock the boat in a potentially noise sentitive built-up region.

Apparently very few local residents are even aware they live 'next' to an airfield...

Also, it's no secret they also like to be exclusive...

It is true the joining fee is $20k+. I'm not sure but I also understand applications may be by invitation only or need to be seconded by exisiting members to keep out the 'riff-raff'.

However, they sell their own fuel at close to cost (Jet and Avgas) and their bulk insurance deal offers substantial savings to a member/owner (a typical owner may get their $20k back via insurance savings over some years).

VERY nice clubhouse and facilities.

'Captive' LAME that charges about 40% less than YBCG shops in exchange for little/no rent/overheads.

Rant and flame clause: I'm not a SFC member. The above was told to me by a SFC member a year ago.

BronteExperimental
29th Jan 2013, 07:07
AFAIK you can visit if invited. At least i did it a few years ago.
Fantastic setup.
As far as cost is concerned, in PV terms it looks cheaper too me than most capital city hangarage - which in my experience is generally feral, expensive and of uncertain tenure...
If I lived on the GC instead of where I do, i wouldn't hesitate for a minute.
Whether theyd have me of course....

Mange1dog
3rd Apr 2015, 03:04
I had occasion to visit Southport Flying Club on the Gold Coast this Easter. I was accepted as a visitor and extended every courtesy to their wonderful facility. It is understandable that this very unique establishment is kept under strict supervision as any abuse of local restrictions, accidentally or otherwise, could jeopardise their operations. I felt priveledged to have been allowed as a guest and given such a warm welcome.
Johnn Gillett OAM

Ndegi
11th Apr 2015, 05:36
I just googled and found a working link to the website

Welcome to Southport Flying Club (http://southportflyingclub.com.au)

Also webcams that give a good idea of local weather conditions

Ejector
11th Apr 2015, 08:09
Interesting, not one mention on the site that I could see as "Mason Field". :=

Without the likes of Kieth Mason, John Boner etc there would be no club today.

Many people learnt to drive there !!!! Towing a fence up and down the strip t break up the cow poo.

It is more about lawyers trying to out do each others :mad: size now.

Lovely facilities non the less. :ok:

catseye
11th Apr 2015, 08:51
Mason field is on the circuit digram:ok:

Frank Arouet
12th Apr 2015, 00:21
I believe Ron Ray had some input into it's establishment. A good bloke, was my Landlord at Burleigh Gardens factory.