PDA

View Full Version : Sully on a smaller scale? Cherokee Six goes "splash" in Hudson

Blind Squirrel
28th Jan 2013, 00:53
Few details as yet, although some sites are saying that a Mayday was transmitted before the ditching.

Small plane crashes into Hudson River - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57566082/small-plane-crashes-into-hudson-river/)

Blind Squirrel
28th Jan 2013, 01:11
Aircraft went down at 1722 local (i.e. sixteen minutes after sunset); aircraft out of Trenton-Robbinsville airport in New Jersey (N87); pilot and passenger wearing life vests and many police launches quickly on scene, both of which factors no doubt account for their survival; aircraft not receiving ATC services, so presumably they were flying the Hudson low-level VFR corridor.

I've flown that route myself, and great fun it is too, but I've done it in daylight, during the summertime, and always wearing a life vest. After dark, below 1,300' AMSL (the ceiling of the corridor) and with water temperatures close to freezing (hence, survival time measured in minutes) seems to me to be stacking the deck against oneself just a bit.

Dagenhamdave
28th Jan 2013, 07:35
While having a quiet day at work yesterday I started to research a trip to New York to try out the Hudson "skyline" VFR route , showing The Mrs what a good idea it would be Then she read this News | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article) ... River.html she is sensible and she still would like to do it and we will be wearing life jackets but it will be on a warm day :E

Blind Squirrel
28th Jan 2013, 11:36
Agreed. The water temperature yesterday at King's Point, NY, in the estuary of the East River (about 3 nm east of the accident site) was 34.8 F. According to the standard hypothermia chart, that typically results in unconsciousness in 15-30 minutes. The two rescuers who pulled the pair out of the Hudson said that they had been in the water for about 20 minutes; being swept away by the current at a rapid clip; and would certainly have died had they been immersed for just ten minutes more.

Couple fished out of the Hudson River after single-engine plane crashes near Yonkers - NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/plane-hudson-article-1.1249078)

Other reports are now saying that the aircraft was bought by its current owner only last Thursday. No doubt one of the things at which investigators will be looking is whether unfamiliarity with the PA-32 and its systems may have played any part in the accident.

India Four Two
28th Jan 2013, 13:35
Well done CBS :=

Scroll to near the bottom of the CBS page in Post 1, where there is a link entitled "Small plane crashes into Hudson River", illustrated with a picture of a C150!

jecuk
29th Jan 2013, 23:05
No doubt one of the things at which investigators will be looking is whether unfamiliarity with the PA-32 and its systems may have played any part in the accident.

No kidding. You have no reason to think it did however.

wsmempson
30th Jan 2013, 09:22
One of the big potential 'gotcha's' with a Cherokee six is that of fuel management; with two main tanks and two tip tanks, totalling 84 usg and no option to select "ALL" on the fuel selector tap, it's all too easy for a pilot inexperienced on type to find himself running on an empty tank, but still have hours of fuel on board.

If you don't catch the situation and select fuel pump "on" and change swiftly to a tank with fuel whilst the engine is coughing and before it actually stops, it can take between 7 and 12 seconds to restart the motor, presupposing that the pilot gets the start procedure right in what will feel like and engine failure.

The second surprise for pilots new to the type is the rate of decent, power off - 1,200-1,400 fpm is typical for a reasonably laden C6, trimmed for 80 kts, with a stationary prop.

I flew 300 hrs in my C6 before moving on to a Saratoga, and loved it to bits - but recognise that, like every aircraft, it had it's wrinkles.

stickandrudderman
30th Jan 2013, 17:26
I think this one in particular has a few more wrinkles now!
Proctologically speaking.

harpf
2nd Feb 2013, 12:56
No mention of a large bang ot rough engine, I'd say fuel startvation. Hate to say it happen to me after 30 years of flying in a belanka, 20 gallons on board, Got lucky, was on short final made the field it restarted on the same tank once the nose was level :yuk: