PDA

View Full Version : Flying in the USA on JAA CPL

lvj
27th Jan 2013, 19:44
Hi
I have a FAA PPL that was issued to run along side my JAA PPL, here's the thing, my JAA PPL expires in a week and has been with the CAA since the beginning of December, they say its not even been looked at yet.
I go to Florida on Friday and was hoping to fly whilst there, I have a JAA CPL and was wondering if the FAA PPL can run along side this?
I have googled it but the info is a bit contradictory coming back!
Any help would be great.

Booglebox
27th Jan 2013, 22:23
FAA recency requirements are fairly simple... if more than two years have passed since your FAA PPL was issued you've got to do a Biennial Flight Review, otherwise it's just a set number of takeoffs and landings AFAIK.
I'm off to Florida in a few weeks for some flying myself (jncluding a BFR). Enjoy! :}

NuName
27th Jan 2013, 23:05
A FAA pilot certificate based on a foreign pilot licence is only valid when accompanied by the valid licence used for the issue of the FAA certificate along with a current BFR. Go to the nearest FSDO when you get there, if they can help they surely will.

S-Works
28th Jan 2013, 00:03
If you have a JAA CPL the you do not have a JAA PPL.....

If your FAA certificate is a 61.75 based on your JAA PPL then it is invalid as your JAA CPL replaced your JAA PPL.

MarkerInbound
28th Jan 2013, 04:05
Your 61.75 cert says it's based on your "country's license number 1234." If that license is no longer valid, your 61.75 isn't either.

Totally off track but I am continually amazed how convoluted some CAAs make pilot licensing.

AvEnthusiast
28th Jan 2013, 05:04
Will FAA issue CPL based on foreign license as well, providing that you have got FAA PPL based on foreign license conversion. And you even meet the requirements of FAA CPL (Hours and all other odds and ends) based on your previous experience and you have a foreign CPL/IR as well and now want to get FAA CPL based on it (Does it only require you to write CPL and IR test paper and checkride, or just a few hours with FAA CFI? or no a complete start from the scratch onward PPL?)

Regards,
AvE

lvj
28th Jan 2013, 10:24
Thanks for the reply, my FAA PPL says its valid when accompanied bu UK licence number ...... which my CPL is obviously the same license number as my PPL, crazy the CAA is taking months to replace with EASA!

S-Works
28th Jan 2013, 11:33
Your UK CPL is a different number to the PPL. The whole reference makes up you number not just the numbers. So a change from a PPL to a CPL invalidates the 61.75. When your CPL is changed to a Part FCL your number will change again.

You can't be issued an FAA CPL on the back of a foreign licence. You just get private privilege regardless of the underlying licence.

So if your 61.75 is invalidated through changes to the underlying licence you must go through the issue process again. Get the CAA to issue the validation letter and arrange a FSDO appointment. Once done, get a BFR and away you go.

MarkerInbound
28th Jan 2013, 20:15
Can't get the iPad to cut and paste the FAA FSIMS but this must have come up before, they have guidance for dealing with upgraded British licenses. Since the prefix is different between the private and commercial, they are considered different licenses and you have to go through the 61.75 process again.

AvEnthusiast
30th Jan 2013, 04:23
Bose-x,

"You can't be issued an FAA CPL on the back of a foreign licence. You just get private privilege regardless of the underlying licence." was that a response to my post above?

Regards,
AvE

S-Works
30th Jan 2013, 12:20
Yes in part. If you want to do a full FAA CPL then you will have to do the TSA and Visa stuff then the minimum 3hrs flight training for both CPL and IR then take the two check rides. You will also have to do the two written exams.

Any ICAO PPL upwards can be used towards converting to an FAA certificate.

Beyfan
17th Jan 2014, 21:13
I have a FAA PPL with IR add on that runs along side my JAA PPL, however I now have a EASA ATPL license, my license number is the same apart from the EASA type before hand, does this cancel out my FAA license as there is a slight difference before the number or is it wholly on the license number?
Thanks in advance