PDA

View Full Version : FAA ratings to CAA

new career
27th Jan 2013, 12:29
Hi all, new to this and hoping to start a career in helicopter flying.

I have CAA PPL(H) with 130hrs on R22 I've also converted it to a FAA PPL(H). If I got a R44 rating in the USA can I fly a R44 in the UK? If not what is required to convert? The same question applies if I were to get an IR Rating in the USA
Is it a good idea to hours build in the USA where it's cheaper? I'm looking for any advice on the best way to break into a new industry. Currently an aircraft engineer, but fancy flying. Studying with Caledonian Advanced Pilot Training.

Thanks for any help offered

haihio
27th Jan 2013, 18:48
Hi, type ratings in the USA don't exist for Aircraft under 12,500 pounds. So you can fly the R44 in the US and log the hours but you will not get a type rating. Once you come back to the UK you have to fly with a TRE and get your JAR/EASA type rating in the R44.

I can't give you any good advice on how to break into the industry in Europe but I can tell you that the US has A LOT MORE job opportunities for low time pilots than the "old continent". The problem is how to get a green card!

cheers!:)

RVV85
28th Jan 2013, 23:53
Haihio, where is all this jobs for low time pilots?

I have 2300h, FAA CPL and IR. i cant seem to get a job on any turbines. Stuck on Robbies.

paco
29th Jan 2013, 05:18
Have a look at jsfirm. I'm constantly getting long lists of available jobs from them in about your experience range.

Phil

haihio
29th Jan 2013, 19:35
RVV 85. I've got no idea where to find jobs in RSA. Anyway with 2300 I don't think you are considered a low time pilot any more.
Your problem might be like mine... no type ratings on big or medium size helis

Helicopter Pilot Jobs - Jobs Vacancies Positions Salary for Helicopter Pilots (http://www.helicopterpilotjobs.co.uk/helicopterpilotjobs-vacancies.asp)

Just as a matter of curiosity, what type of flying do you do on robbies?

Cheers!

MartinCh
18th Apr 2013, 02:44
RVV85, if you qualify for FAA ATP or SA ATP/L, get it done and go to Middle East. They hire people with lower times for offshore and the ATP would ensure you won't get stuck as SIC and easier 'conversion'.

Presume you don't have any other 'handy' nationality/citizenship.
Still hard to believe you won't get break onto turbines 'back home'.

OP, if you had 100hrs on type, (small pistons) you could have it added to licence, obviously subject to flight test, but no 5hr course etc.