PDA

View Full Version : PA28-161 Warrior II Fuel Burn for Start Up, Taxi and Power Checks

Nickilaa10
26th Jan 2013, 14:06
Hi everybody,

Apologies if this thread has been started before. I cant seem the find out how much fuel is burnt for start up, taxi and run up in the aircraft's POH. I normally allocated around 15 mins for taxi time and was wondering what figures people use for fuel management?

Many Thanks

Nickilaa

jollyrog
26th Jan 2013, 14:33
My POH for the Warrior II 161 allows 7lbs of fuel for "Engine start, taxi and run up" (Section 6.7, Weight and Balance).

7.2lbs is an Imperial Gallon, so that's about 1 Gallon or 4.5 litres.

I know from records that my Warrior uses about 28 litres per hour of engine time (don't use that figure for flight planning!), so 4.5 litres is just short of 10 minutes but probably much more in reality as that 28l/hour figure is based on the engine running much harder for most of the hour.

A and C
26th Jan 2013, 15:36
Somewhere in the 4 to 4.5 ltr range sounds about right but it will of course depend on how much taxing you have to do I would think the taxi burn at Biggin Hill on a busy day would be much higher than for your average GA airfield.

As a general rule I use 4 Lts for taxi on my 180 hp Lycoming and just except that any extra burn can come out of the 5% contingency fuel built into the fuel plan.

Generally you only have to look carefully at taxi fuel when you are planning a long flight or your take off fuel is restricted due to the payload.

28 ltr/ hr sounds like a very low fuel burn, what power setting are you basing this on ?

UV
26th Jan 2013, 16:48
28 ltr/ hr sounds like a very low fuel burn, what power setting are you basing this on ?
Mine used 33 per hour, at 2350 prm and 105 kts. Seemed about right.

A and C
26th Jan 2013, 17:58
2350 RPM is not a power setting it is just an RPM, without a reference to density altitude it is meaningless as an indication of engine power.

( But I will take a stab in the dark and guess that it is about 55% at 2000 ft )

tmmorris
26th Jan 2013, 18:24
I'd like to credit A and C for being the person who made me actually read the placard in the cockpit of the PA28-180 Archer I I fly (which belongs to him) - which resulted in me flying at a higher RPM than previously. I'd been using 2300 taught to me at a previous flying school - he pointed out that this was below the 65% setting according to the placard (2350 at SL, more of course at altitude).

RTFM, for power settings, I'm afraid, unless they are placarded. Or make yourself a ready-reckoner for the cockpit.

Tim

dash6
26th Jan 2013, 21:46
Taxi burn usually enough to get you half way to the runway with the fuel selector off.(but don't bank on it!)