PDA

View Full Version : 15 hr FAA/ICAO IR Conversion - Question, Can someone answer please

zimbizee
26th Jan 2013, 12:01
The 15 hr FAA/ICAO IR Conversion states a minimum of 10 hours synthetic flight training in an AS 350/355 simulator and a minimum of 5 hours flight training in a multi engine helicopter. taken from the starspeed site.

What if the applicant has never flown a twin before. Is a twin rating required before commencement of the IR conversion course or can it be carried out as part of the course?

Any idea of the cost of the above 15 hr course?

Thanks

Ed Thrust IV
26th Jan 2013, 12:28
This is an extract from CAP 804 which is what the UK CAA is applying against EASA FCL:

Subpart 2 Conversion of Non-EASA licences issued by
States other than the UK

1.1 Conversion Requirements:

1.1.1 Course Credit Policy
In accordance with the provisions of Article 8 (2 & 3) of EU Regulation 1178/2011
applicants for Part-FCL licences already holding an equivalent licence, rating or
certificate issued in accordance with Annex I of the Chicago Convention may be given
credit towards meeting the requirements of Part-FCL. The credit given to the
applicant shall be determined by the Member State on the basis of a recommendation
from an Approved Training Organisation. The UK CAA is applying the following policy
which may be utilised by an ATO conducting conversion training on ICAO licence
holders for a Part-FCL IR(A) or(H) to be issued by the UKCAA without seeking prior
approval from the Authority for each individual applicant.
These arrangements will provide a route to a UK CAA-issued Part-FCL IR(A) or (H)
qualification for the following holders of a current and valid equivalent ICAO IR(A) or
(H) as applicable, issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1.

1.3 ICAO IR(H) holder to Part-FCL IR(H)

1.3.1 Undertake Part-FCL-IR(H) theoretical knowledge instruction as determined by the
Head of Training of an approved training provider and pass all Part-FCL theoretical
knowledge examinations at IR level. Applicants who wish to attempt the ATPL(H)
examinations must undertake the full 650 hour course of approved theoretical
knowledge instruction and pass all Part-FCL ATPL(H) examinations.
1.3.2 including Complete a minimum of 15 hours instrument time under instruction
recommendation for test in accordance with the procedures approved at the ATO, of
which 5 hours may be in a FNPT I or 10 hours in a FNPT II or Full Flight Simulator.

1.3.3 Pass the Part-FCL IR(H) Skill Test.

Note that the rating must be current and valid.

You will need to attach the IR(H) to a type to open it on your licence. If it is your first twin you will need an eight hour type rating course as well as the IR training.

Check your PMs if you need more information.

zimbizee
26th Jan 2013, 13:35
Ed

Many thanks for the info, Great help

Z

haihio
27th Jan 2013, 18:55
Hi, just last week I got some quotes from the three main helicopter schools in the UK that do this training. ir+ rating on a twin= £31000= a hell of a lot of money!

You can get cheaper prices on the continent but I think the UK schools are probably better in terms of experience, instructors, facilities, organisation and so on.

ec155mech
27th Jan 2013, 21:10
UK CAA seem to be the only ones hooked on the ME IR. a SE IR will do with most operators as you most likely will be receiving a TR anyways.

I've seen that in Spain they do IR on a H300 and in Denmark they dont it on a 206 Long ranger if you do want turbine time.

zimbizee
28th Jan 2013, 06:44
Wow £31,000 that's a bridge too far. Interesting about the single engine in europe though, may look in to that further