PDA

View Full Version : Lost any WWII medals?

unclenelli
26th Jan 2013, 08:46
Police trying to trace owner of war medals found in Grantham Morrisons | This is Lincolnshire (http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/Police-trying-trace-owner-war-medals-Grantham/story-17939016-detail/story.html)

5 court-mounted (albeit badly - medals aren't level) WWII medals found in Grantham on 06 Jan (unusual date - ~11 Nov would be Remembrance, but not 6 Jan!)
Police don't report on the rear view of the medals - brooch/pin-bar, mounter's sticker, etc

1939-1945 Star
Africa Star (without clasp)
France & Germany Star
Defence Medal
1939-1945 War Medal

Anyone lost any?

Also posted on Arrse

ShyTorque
26th Jan 2013, 09:20
Never mind that, has anyone lost a great grandfather? :ooh:

Hope the two get re-united soon.

unclenelli
26th Jan 2013, 11:18
ShyTorque
I recently had my Grandfather's WWII Royal Engineer medals mounted and framed (with photos) as a Xmas Pressie for my Dad (aged 65) - How to make an old man cry!

The similarity was what stoked me to post.
My Granddad's medals were 3.5 out of 5 identical to those pictured. (My Granddad's Africa Star had a 1st Army clasp and an Italy Star instead of an F&G Star as pictured.)

As I type...
Sorry for questioning your use of "Great"
Len (1919-1976) was my Dad's Dad, my paternal Granddad and if he'd have lived a fortnight longer, also my brothers', but thinking about it, he would also have been Great Granddad to my niece, and Great Great Granddad to my brother's 2 step-grandchildren. (Yes, my little Bro is a Granddad!)
I recently attended the funeral of my maternal Grandma, who was Great Great Grandma of my brother's 2 step-grandchildren.

Tankertrashnav
26th Jan 2013, 14:27
Once again the short sighted decision at the time not to name WW2 campaign medals has had unforeseen results. The sad fact is this is a very common combination of medals, so unless the original owner reports the loss, there is little chance of their being reunited with the owner. With a name on the medals there would have been a much better chance.