PDA

View Full Version : EASA Certification Mi 172 (or similar)

POBJOY
25th Jan 2013, 16:35
Hi Folks
Am from the f-wing side of aviation therefore would appreciate any pointers to the situation of EASA certification of 'Eastern' machines for use in the UK.
I read a PR recently that the Russian Helicopter industry was intending to certify all 'new production' in the future to comply with EASA certification.
Is there any evidence this is happening,and specifically have they got around to the Mi 172 variant (cert and sold in India) as yet.
Thank You PC.

I ask this as it appears to be a contender for work prev undertaken by the S61.

Shawn Coyle
25th Jan 2013, 18:20
The main stumbling block will be the hydraulics - unless they've changed their philosophy and system. The Mil series uses a single hydraulic actuator concept for each relevant actuator, where the 'Western' system requires redundant actuators.
I'm sure there are other issues that would preclude EASA certification, but that would appear to be the main one.
Plus a completely different approach to certification than anyone else uses in the West - there is more than a language difference.

9Aplus
25th Jan 2013, 18:28
Upgraded to sustainable FAR/CS29 level on Mi 171 A2 model
Second major "problem" is APU, but solution exist.

Will be one day, when/if other market for type show some slow down :cool:

PR goes in Mi 38 direction, not far from serial production.

POBJOY
26th Jan 2013, 20:15
Thanks for that 9A; Does this machine have a identifiable market in the west.I say this as 'one' of the reasons that the (UK) Isles of Scilly route closed was due to the cost of keeping the S61 going.
There is no doubt that this service was the making of the Islands holiday trade,and having got used to the rot wing 'bus/train like' convenience the fixed wing only alternative is proving less of a 'service' this winter.
With a potential pass trade of 100,000 PA can a large helicopter be made to pay its way in the current economic climate.

9Aplus
26th Jan 2013, 20:45
S61 is still feasible for UK scheduled flights.... reasons are :mad:

Mi 38 have chances, chances are influenced by big political and economic games.
Even with virtually no EU civil presence Russian Helicopters are more than positive
on WW sales.