PDA

View Full Version : Good Conduct badges/ stripes RAF airmen

langleybaston
24th Jan 2013, 10:10
I would like a steer here, please.

1. does anyone have a photo of an airman wearing GC badges, chevron, point up, lower left sleeve? The RFC airmen, being army, were certainly entitled after 2 years service, and would almost certainly have retained them when RAF formed.

2. and, arising from that, how about between the wars and during WW II ............

The formal introduction for RAF was by Air Ministry Order 720 of 12th August 1920, with up to three available. The badges were to be worn in the same manner as the army, but it was not until two years later that they were confined to ranks below substantive corporal. No less a character than TE Lawrence, under the pseudonym of Aircraftsman TE Shaw qualified for his first badge 12th March 1925, and his second on 12th March 1931. Unless his previous army service counted, we might deduce that these were awarded for two and eight years. King’s Regulations and Air Council Instructions 1940 gave the periods as three, eight and thirteen years, and the awards were still being made through the Second World War.

Kitbag
24th Jan 2013, 11:02
Surely this would be better placed in AH&N?

sisemen
24th Jan 2013, 11:45
This might help

50th Entry RAF Boy Entrants (http://www.50thrafboyentrants.co.uk/in-the-beginning.php)

ian16th
24th Jan 2013, 14:52
sisman

The question was about Airmen wearing GC's.

B/E's and Apps schemes were different.

From my fading and unreliable memory, Airmen's GC's ceased to be awarded after the 1951 Trade Structure was invented. I have vague memories of seeing them around Yatesbury 1952-53'ish.

Shack37
24th Jan 2013, 15:43
sisman
The question was about Airmen wearing GC's.
B/E's and Apps schemes were different.
From my fading and unreliable memory, Airmen's GC's ceased to be awarded
after the 1951 Trade Structure was invented. I have vague memories of seeing them around Yatesbury 1952-53'ish.

The B/E three stripes indicated "Senior Entry", the last four months of the course. The working uniform (hairy blue) may have been the same but in 1960/61 we also had the T63.

langleybaston
25th Jan 2013, 15:45
Many thanks so far ............ my question was prompted by vague memories of my father, LAC 930305 RAFVR sporting one at the end of WW II.

Shack37
25th Jan 2013, 16:10
Many thanks so far ............ my question was prompted by vague memories of my father, LAC 930305 RAFVR sporting one at the end of WW II.

LB, coincidentally your father and I share the same "last three"

langleybaston
26th Jan 2013, 09:29
I/c a barrage balloon and associated winch vehicle, [Fighter Command!] Coventry Blitz, N Africa, Suez Canal with balloon on ships trogging up and down, D-Day landings, on ship again ............

"Never call it raff ............ Royal Air Force in full!"

papajuliet
28th Feb 2016, 10:04
Something on another thread triggered a thought and led me to this thread. My father was an RAF regular SNCO. I can recall him having what he said were good conduct stripes. They were on a chevron shaped badge, black background with three red chevrons, point uppermost. Indeed I might still have it somewhere. Curiously I don't recall it ever being worn on his uniform. Nor have I ever seen any images of anyone wearing such a badge.
The book " Per Ardua ad Astra" mentions good conduct badges as being an inverted single stripe for each occasion when awarded. Worn above the left cuff. One stripe for three years service, two stripes eight years service They were worn only by AC2, AC1 and LAC ranks and were discontinued in 1941. The book doesn't give the colouring of the badge.
As my father joined in 1929 he would have served 12 years to 1941. So I don't see how that fits the lengths of service stipulated. Maybe my memory is wrong, the book's wrong or the stripes were being issued later than 1941.

SOSL
28th Feb 2016, 10:35
Later came the Long Service and Good Conduct Medal (LSGCM). A Flt Sgt on my flight qualified for the medal and general office sent me a resume of his career asking whether I would approve of the award because he had a civilian conviction - he had been fined £2. 10s for removing a roller towel from the gentlemen's toilet in the Nags Head, Sleaford, at 1130 on Dec 31 20 years earlier. I felt he had repaid his debt to society and approved the award.

Rgds SOS

NutLoose
28th Feb 2016, 12:11
http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/uniforms/raf-sgt-air-gunners-service-dress-jacket-3891/

NutLoose
28th Feb 2016, 12:15
This is an LAC sporting one

Squadron Leader Tommy Broom | The Times (http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/obituaries/article2540008.ece)

kaitakbowler
28th Feb 2016, 15:05
This might help

50th Entry RAF Boy Entrants (http://www.50thrafboyentrants.co.uk/in-the-beginning.php)

But the Senior BE 50th entry was the one at No2 SofTT. Sept '63 to Mar '65.

papajuliet
28th Feb 2016, 16:08
The chevron I'm talking about was nothing like the one shown worn by Tommy Broom. Think of a shape like an elongated Sergeant's stripes made of a black smooth material about two inches by one and a half upon which were three red inverted stripes, about an inch across.

camelspyyder
28th Feb 2016, 17:49
SOSL

General Office sent you his resume?

How things change - I had to write my own LSGCM citation (2nd award) because no-one in my command chain could be arsed.

Tankertrashnav
28th Feb 2016, 22:06
Papajuliet - The stripes you are referring to are war service stripes, not good conduct stripes (strictly speaking "badges"). We had some discussion about these some time back and I seem to remember that member Danny42c told us he was issued with these sometime around 1942-43, although he didnt recall ever sewing them on his uniform. They were certainly authorised for the RAF but they didnt seem to "catch on" and it's difficult to find any reference to them, let alone a photograph of them being worn on RAF uniform.

Good conduct stripes, as discussed above, were abolished by AMO A 594 in 1950.

sled dog
29th Feb 2016, 10:15
Slightly different topic : when was the Marksman Badge ( crossed rifles worn on the left sleeve cuff ) discontinued in the RAF ? I qualified for one as a B/E but cannot remember how long I wore it. Annual renewal ?

claron
29th Feb 2016, 11:31
Sled dog.

Gained my Marksman badge during B/E 1978, and wore it until discharge in 2001.

papajuliet
29th Feb 2016, 15:24
Thanks Tankertrashnav - I thought I'd read all of Danny's posts but that one clearly didn't register.
These war service stripes are something of a mystery. I wonder why they didn't catch on ? People taking the mickey perhaps ?

kaitakbowler
29th Feb 2016, 22:08
Sled dog.

Gained my Marksman badge during B/E 1978, and wore it until discharge in 2001.

I thought Boy Entrants finished in '65 when the 51st graduated?

claron
1st Mar 2016, 07:44
Opps sorry! Kaitakbowler.

Should have read Basic training 1978, Not B/E.