PDA

View Full Version : new CAS

Jumping_Jack
24th Jan 2013, 09:32
So the worst kept secret in Air Command now official...Pulford to be next CAS. Peach to take up VCDS role.

beerdrinker
24th Jan 2013, 11:17
Beeb says "Pulford trained as a helicopter pilot, with 5,000 hours in Wessex and Chinook aircraft".

Is he the first non FJ CAS?

ShyTorque
24th Jan 2013, 11:27
There is a very pleasing irony in this.

Andy Pulford was the president of the BOI for the infamous Mull of Kintyre Chinook accident.

John Day's attempt to belittle him personally to the media after he over-ruled the initial findings was disgraceful.

JD was subsequently "overlooked" for the CAS job.

Especially, in view of that: Andy, congratulations, very well done, your airship!! :ok:

FODPlod
24th Jan 2013, 11:54
For those who may have missed the announcement:
New senior military officers appointed (https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-senior-military-officers-appointed)

The Gorilla
24th Jan 2013, 12:35
I am sorry but isn't Peachy over 55? Are we really that short (pun intended) of really senior occifers?:suspect:

Bismark
24th Jan 2013, 13:24
What a great set of appointments! AP is first rate as is SP. I sense that for once in several generations we may get a set at the top who will work together in harmony with the other S, especially with GZ at the head of the RN. Question is who will be CDS? Houghton or Stanhope?

As for the RAF where does this leave Garwood and Anderson - both discoloured by the FAA/RAF wars of the past 10 years.

Archimedes
24th Jan 2013, 13:40
Beerdrinker - I think you're right that he's the first CAS without any FJ (or equivalent) experience. Sir Peter Harding's career included a stint as boss of 18 Squadron in their early days on the Wessex, but he'd flown Canberras before that. So he er... bucked the trend (in more ways than one as it transpired).

Whenurhappy
24th Jan 2013, 14:24
Sir Timmo was in deep conspitorial discussion with a senior Army officer last Thursday in the Pillard Hall. I wonder...

Sand4Gold
24th Jan 2013, 14:31
I, too, would like to congratulate Andy on his appointment as the next CAS in July - as a rotary man through and through (Ret'd), his appointment is indeed a first; good to know there'll be a steady hand at the helm as the RAF prepares to adjust post Afghanistan/Defence cuts.

Flap62
24th Jan 2013, 14:45
Don't know any of the chaps involved but I'm sure they're all spiffing.

I did note that in his biog it says that ACM Peach flew Canberras and Tornado. As he is wearing Nav wings shouldn't that read "flew in" Canberras and Tornado?

dagama
24th Jan 2013, 14:57
CDS is earmarked for the Army - Wall or Houghton

Heathrow Harry
24th Jan 2013, 15:11
God forbid we'd choose the best man as CDS instead of the ridiculous buggins turn between the forces.........

alpha69
24th Jan 2013, 15:11
So the failed Linton / Valley , passed Shawbury boys did well in the end. Top dogs in both the RN and RAF

Bismark
24th Jan 2013, 15:40
CDS is earmarked for the Army - Wall or Houghton

Nothing is earmarked as it is the personal choice of the PM and recommended to the Queen.

As the requirement for the next 5 years will be to deliver the CEPP capability, in particular CVF, and replacement Vanguard etc one could see Stanhope as a likely contender. I would say Wall does not even feature, neither does Dalton (RAF told too many untruths in SDSR).

grundog
24th Jan 2013, 15:50
Congrats to Sir Pulford.
I always thought he was destined for greatness, but I didn't think he would go all the way to the top!

I will always remember the bollocking for the monthly Sqn history entry that included a joke and sarcasm. God I felt so small!

Top bloke for the top job :D

Courtney Mil
24th Jan 2013, 15:50
As the requirement for the next 5 years will be to deliver the CEPP capability, in particular CVF, and replacement Vanguard etc

...asuming we get our CVF (and, therefore CEPP) and a Trident replacement.

Backwards PLT
24th Jan 2013, 16:55
Isn't Stanhope already over 60? Also I would have thought his inability to get on with the other Services would be a black mark against him, just as it is for CAS. OTOH I have heard he is best mates with Cameron (which doesn't fit in with all the stories told by the RN but heyho!)

Bismark your view of defence's priorities could be seen as slightly service oriented! The Army probably see reconfiguring to a viable 82k man Army as quite important. Also going by General Whatever's speech in the Lords, Vanguard might not get replaced - there are far cheaper ways of still being able to say we have nukes when you know you will never use them than purpose built SSBNs (can't honestly see that happening though).

Agree on Wall or Houghton.

The great thing about this thread, unlike many others, is that we will see who is right in a few months - someone bookmark it up and resurrect it.

Courtney Mil
24th Jan 2013, 17:47
One might also consider that the last thing Prime Minister Dave would wish for is a Naval CDS when he might be feeling iffy about replacing Trident, feeling twitchy about the carrier order/future/configuration and feeling more than a little uncertain about the future of F-35B.

No RAF contenders, so that leaves the Army anyway.

Bismark
24th Jan 2013, 17:54
Wall was seen gloating too much immediately after SDSR when the Army seemed to have got away with it. he then was rumbled with the manpower funding black hole which resulted in reduce to 82K. The Army will be too focused on regrouping and working out what exactly will be their role and kit to worry about the bigger picture of defence. Contrary to Backwards my observations have been that Stanhope gets on quite well with the other Service Chiefs.....however, the answer is most likely Houghton - a very good Joint man (who trusts the RAF even less than Cameron does!).

Whoever gets the top job is going to have to resolve the question of "who owns what capability" - does it sit with the owner of the biggest risk or the one who thinks it is his God given right?

Courtney Mil
24th Jan 2013, 17:57
Ah. I was with you most of the way through that, Bismark. Lost it at the end, though. Not very joint, are you?

cuefaye
24th Jan 2013, 18:11
The way things are going, are we not hastening towards a very Single service?

CoffmanStarter
24th Jan 2013, 18:17
Question ...

I note that a few Station Commanders, Odiam and Lossie to name two, are now Tweeting ... will the new CAS be tempted to Twitter ? Perhaps the next time he's lurking on PPRuNe he might let us know his thoughts on such matters :confused:

Courtney Mil
24th Jan 2013, 18:27
Only if we're nice to him. Anyway, how do you know he isn't already?

CoffmanStarter
24th Jan 2013, 18:47
Courtney ... Most of us on PPRuNe are nice fellows :ok:

And yes I'm sure all the Top Team pop by in stealth mode from time to time :ok:

jayc530
24th Jan 2013, 18:47
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-senior-military-officers-appointed

Well as long as they aren’t being made redundant. Bad timing I feel.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/third-tranche-of-armed-forces-redundancies-announced

Lima Juliet
24th Jan 2013, 18:48
Way to go, Pulfs... :ok:

Don't forget there is also Harps as well as Timmo... So there are a couple of Sir three-stars in the wings (TBD).

MRA4Man
24th Jan 2013, 19:24
I think you will find that every CAS before the Meteor was non-FJ. This is great appointment and I win my bet from when I worked for him as AOC2.:):ok:

jayteeto
24th Jan 2013, 19:38
A good man, the RAF will do ok with him at the helm.

I believe he likes to holiday at Butlins........ ask him!

Backwards PLT
24th Jan 2013, 19:42
Again the whisperings I hear are very different from you, Bismark. Apparently Cameron was very impressed by the RAF performance in Ellamy from fast air to ISTAR and C2 and much in between.

Bet you can't believe your luck that Mali is landlocked - still I'm sure it won't stop the irrepressible RN PR machine.

Failed_Scopie
24th Jan 2013, 19:50
It will be General Sir Nick Houghton for the top job. As a member of the esteemed brown jobs, I can honestly say that Wall does NOT have the confidence of the wider Army and I have been very critical of him on another website. The fact that the heads of both the RAF and RNa re helicopter pilots is thoroughly good news because (i) it should stop the ridiculous turf wars and (ii) it recognises that rotary assets are critical to our current and future military operations.

Courtney Mil
24th Jan 2013, 20:32
I think you make a good point there, Scopie. The only thing that worries me is, since when did not having the backing of the chaps ever stop anyone from being promoted. I'm sure I don't need to offer examples here.

Easy Street
24th Jan 2013, 23:03
Is he the first non FJ CAS?A better statement would be 'he is the first rotary CAS'. Back in the day it was bomber pilots who had a stranglehold on the top job, and in no way can you equate a Lancaster with a FJ! The last non-FJ CAS was Sir Michael Beetham (1977-82), who was a Lancaster and Valiant pilot. Admittedly that's quite a while ago, so a change was definitely due.

Got to agree with earlier comments about the SH force; if we're out of Afghanistan before SDSR-2, as expected, then it will be interesting to see how much effort Pulford puts into defending his old patch. SH will look ripe for culling, and there will be knives out for FJ as usual. Who knows where he will focus?

Hopefully the results of Timo and Garwood's inter-service warfare will put our airships off such antics in future. An unmitigated failure both for them and the Service. And that applies to those on the other side of the argument as well... time to kill off some single-service dinos...

a very good Joint man (who trusts the RAF even less than Cameron does!)I would observe that Cameron was reportedly forced into keeping the carriers because the contracts had been so comprehensively stitched-up by the Brown government and BAES (doubtless with the connivance of the Naval staff) that it was impossible to cancel them. Hardly the way to get off to a good start with the new PM. Ditto the way the RN got caught fudging the funding of its slew of one-way exchanges with the USN. Don't talk to me about trust.

(RAF told too many untruths in SDSR)That's a great line to hang out there without any back-up. If you're referring to F35C, well, the RN wanted it too, if their eagerness for those USN F18 slots was anything to go by. If it's Harrier vs Tornado, the continued good performance of the latter in HERRICK and its star turn in ELLAMY put that one to bed a while ago (although I accept that some fanatics will never acknowledge that). What else are you referring to? :confused:

flynavysomerset
25th Jan 2013, 01:31
Courtney Mil,

Are you so naive to suggest the RN will not get CVF, open your eyes.

:ugh:

Regards FNS

Courtney Mil
25th Jan 2013, 06:37
Naive? I'm well known for it around here. My concern is that nothing is given at the moment. Not getting the platform at all would be a disaster, hopefully highly unlikely. I also worry about what configuration it will end up in and whether we have any fast air operating from it; for a long time at least.

But that's massive thread drift. My point is which colour Dave C might not favour given his possible "difficult choices" yet to come.

Finnpog
25th Jan 2013, 07:51
Which Dave C do you mean Courtney?

The lightweight but massively expensive one with the larger spread, the heavier bottom and undercarriage, which cannot hook onto anything with any certainty and which certainly cannot shoot straight unless it has help bolted on; or the CATOBAR version of the F-35 destined for the USN?

:E

Courtney Mil
25th Jan 2013, 07:58
Good one, Finnpog. I walked right into that.

Bismark
25th Jan 2013, 08:25
Easy, it is widely recognised that Stirrup stitched up the RN and FAA in the final moments (literally) of SDSR - Cameron realised this later. The announcement re the Ferguson study are a direct result of all this.

The damage done to the RAF by Anderson et al will be felt for years to come as no one trusts the top of the RAF to tell the truth.

Ellamy was a huge success for the RAF but had nothing to do with those at the top.

The "fudge" by the RN re F18 was supported by both MoD and the Treasury. The FAA had to get the FW stream out of the hands of 22 Gp and the USN wanted to ensure the survival of proper Naval aviators as they were horrified by the RAF attitude to embarked ops (ie minimal exposure, hop on hop off). Again I refer you back to the Ferguson report.

I am very Joint in disposition but have totally lost faith in the RAF as a cooperative organisation.

CoffmanStarter
25th Jan 2013, 08:36
Sad really ... money and politics (small p ... and large P) are the root of all evil ... even in the Services :(

teeteringhead
25th Jan 2013, 08:39
the contracts had been so comprehensively stitched-up by the Brown government and BAES ... and remind me again in whose constituency (or very near) the carriers are being built ..... :rolleyes:

But a suitably Joint BZ for Pull-through, who is a very good bloke IMHO. :ok:

Tigger_Too
25th Jan 2013, 08:42
Don't forget there is also Harps

... who is likely to be staying in Brussels for another 3 years.

Finningley Boy
25th Jan 2013, 09:11
A better statement would be 'he is the first rotary CAS'. Back in the day it was bomber pilots who had a stranglehold on the top job, and in no way can you equate a Lancaster with a FJ! The last non-FJ CAS was Sir Michael Beetham (1977-82), who was a Lancaster and Valiant pilot. Admittedly that's quite a while ago, so a change was definitely due.

Got to agree with earlier comments about the SH force; if we're out of Afghanistan before SDSR-2, as expected, then it will be interesting to see how much effort Pulford puts into defending his old patch. SH will look ripe for culling, and there will be knives out for FJ as usual. Who knows where he will focus?

Well said Easy Street, indeed, there were former Fighter Pilots who commanded the R.A.F. Sir Andrew Humphrey, Sir Neil Cameron and Sir John Grandy, all who flew in the Battle of Britain. What I did find obvious about the Telegraph article was the sweeping assumption that Fast Jets are already yesterday's weaponry and that the remote-piloted "high performance" air system is already with us. But I suspect the reason Helicopter pilots are being selected to head both the R.A.F. and the Navy, apart from the possible positive aspect of service harmony for a change, is for a more negative rationale. This has the thumb print of the Political mind set all over it. Increasingly, politicians and media alike have become very tunnel visioned about fighting insurgents in sand blown landscapes with a tiny Land arm, Sea arm and Air arm all tacked onto a Strategic Missile Force, just in case. What this will mean for retaining or pursuing a greater degree of balance I'm not optimistic about. As much of a good man as Air Chief Marshal Pulford may be, his appointment, at least in Government circles, I suspect is based to some degree on wishful thinking that he may be all the less resistant to further attempts to cut the FJ Section. I would ordinarily say Force, but I feel that's a little grand these days.:(

FB:)

Wrathmonk
25th Jan 2013, 09:16
he may be all the less resistant to further attempts to cut the FJ Section

Bear in mind he did 2 tours (back-to-back) in Air RP, the last as the Director. Take from that what you wish......

Backwards PLT
25th Jan 2013, 10:55
Hey maybe he got the job because he was the best man for it?

What I find most irritating in these discussions is the naval attitude that "it is all the RAF's fault". The RN top brass are equally responsible - they overtly and covertly campaigned for the end of the RAF (far more serious than wanting to fly some aircraft, I suggest) and far worse they have spread their vitriol throughout the RN so that all the way down to Lt you get very anti-RAF sentiment based on a specific agenda that most know nothing about. It is a very sad sight that the RN has come to this and it isn't something the RAF does. If the 3 and 4 stars want to have a playground spat then let them, I suggest the rest of us just stay professional and get on with the job.

The final point is that we need to accept that we no longer have sufficient cash to buy a fleet of modern aircraft that will sit on a carrier and another fleet that will be land based. The F35s will have to be shared and be based where they are best suited for defence, not for single-service agendas.

ps is the Ferguson report freely available? If so could someone post a link if not can someone explain it further (including who Ferguson is, who commissioned the report, where it is now etc, not just the content). Thanks

London Eye
25th Jan 2013, 10:56
"As much of a good man as Air Chief Marshal Pulford may be, his appointment, at least in Government circles, I suspect is based to some degree on wishful thinking that he may be all the less resistant to further attempts to cut the FJ Section. I would ordinarily say Force, but I feel that's a little grand these days.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/sowee.gif"

Or the man who is largely responsible for his selection (CAS) thought he was the best man for the job....

PARALLEL TRACK
25th Jan 2013, 13:08
He cannot do any worse than the present incumbent! Totally lost touch with anything apart from Typhoon which is apparently the answer for everything hence Combat ISTAR! Does he have a prang in his closet like Dalts?

Nimbus20
25th Jan 2013, 15:19
" The RN top brass are equally responsible - they overtly and covertly campaigned for the end of the RAF".

Go on, spill the beans and spoil us with some substantiated back up!:confused:

reds & greens
25th Jan 2013, 16:54
Who was that outgoing, dull, quiet, grey man...
About time we had an individual with a voice and bite.

Evalu8ter
25th Jan 2013, 17:17
Rotary ripe for picking? Perhaps, but, unlike a FJ, a RW is a true dual role asset, capable of significant MACP (or whatever it's called nowadays). When Afg is finished I bet you'll see Chinooks all over floods / civil disasters at home and abroad (carried by C17/A400M) as we try to regain some sense of being a 'force for good'. Typhoon may be multiple role but it ain't much good at building a flood defence, providing disaster relief or evacuating people...

Pully will not have much (if any) wiggle room; if, however unlikely, he decides to favour SH over FJ well, it's about time some would say. Air power is far more than just delivering kinetic effect or ISTAR via fast air - vital in some cases, but not all.

Easy Street
25th Jan 2013, 19:38
Re the outgoing CAS:

Who was that dull, quiet, grey man...

You clearly never had a beer with him!

Easy Street
25th Jan 2013, 19:44
capable of significant MACP

The utility of various assets for MACA should not be a consideration in their retention unless money to support them is forthcoming from elsewhere. MACA is something you do to make use of available spare capacity in a resource that's intended for combat. At least that's how I see it.

Evalu8ter
26th Jan 2013, 07:57
Easy,
Correct from a military PoV, but not necessarily from the public/politicos. The loss of mil SAR in 2016 will increase pressure on the govt to provide visible assistance to the civil authority (thanks for the correction!) and I'm sure (in the same way we couldn't wait to get Sentinel to Mali) RW assets would be released far more often (as they were at Boscastle, Foot and Mouth, Pan Am 747 etc) to fix the capability in public minds and make reduction harder.

Biggus
26th Jan 2013, 09:01
You don't need 7 odd SH squadrons to provide very occasional military assistance to civil authorities!

In addition, the civil world is already starting to work on the principle that help from the military is likely to be both less sizable and available. The military no longer provides backup to support a strike by firefighters, just one example of the way things are going.

CrabInCab
26th Jan 2013, 09:15
Biggus - 7 Sqns of SH? More like 4 (28/78 on their last RAF rotation already) with the duty rumour being that we'll lose 1 of the Puma Sqns if the MK2 extra buy does not come to fruition. I make that 3 gusting 4.
:=

Biggus
26th Jan 2013, 09:32
CiC,

Fine, I'll bow to your more in depth knowledge. I know a bit more than the average politician, and a lot more than the man on the street, about RAF SH assets, but I'm a long way short of being an expert (although before we get the "retired duffers shouldn't comment on things they know nothing about" statement, I should say that I'm still in the mob, albeit not for much longer).

As I see it we currently have 7 RAF SH squadrons, 3 Chinook, 2 Merlin, 2 Puma. Hence my comment. While I knew the Merlins were going to the RN, I didn't know exactly when. So yes, it will very soon reduce to 5(?).

I'll admit that getting things wrong doesn't add strength to my argument. However, in terms of MACA requirement, 3 Chinook and 2(?) Puma squadrons permanently based in the UK, without even mentioning how many of the Junglies are likely to be available in the UK (and not floating on a gin palace somewhere!) is far more than could ever be needed/justified.

Trying to justify SH numbers using MACA as part of your argument is, in my opinion, as pointless as trying to justify MPA on the basis of its SAR role.

Still, feel free to disagree, that's the beauty of such a site. I tend to find that people either disagree/correct my comments, or totally ignore them - I think I actually prefer the former to the latter! :ok:

Evalu8ter
26th Jan 2013, 09:49
Biggus,
By that logic how many AD Sqns do you need for a very occasional QRA? As with disaster relief, when you need it you really need it.

I don't think SH is that bleak Crab; I'd assume one of 28/78 will become a third CH47 Green Sqn with the Mk6 arriving. Maybe the other numberplate will become a joint CH47/Puma OCU? I reckon we'll lose one numberplate if it's managed carefully.

SH numbers are not going to be squeezed by UCAS over the next epoch, unlike manned Combat Air, so, who knows, maybe after a couple of obligatory Typhoon types next there could be a FJ mate with Pred/Reaper high in his/her competancies?

NutLoose
26th Jan 2013, 10:51
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-senior-military-officers-appointed

Congratulations, I recognise him from going through 240 0CU

On the photo front you think they would have used one for Air Chief Marshal Sir Stuart Peach with the popper on his pocket done up and where is his belt?

Also is it me or is the new Commander Joint Forces Command in April 2013
Is it just the picture that makes him look boss eyed?

CrabInCab
26th Jan 2013, 10:55
Biggus, fair enough I had discounted 7 by virtue of the different role and the fact that although badged as a Sqn they're more like a Flt in terms of size. Mk6 Sqn, Joint OCU: one of those - maybe, both - highly unlikely, neither - fairly likely IMHO.

Wrathmonk
26th Jan 2013, 11:37
a very occasional QRA

By occasional I guess you mean 24/7, 365 days a year?:confused:

Nimbus20
26th Jan 2013, 11:47
Just like the unused CASD Deterrence. It seems the British malady is resenting paying the premiums for insurance from MoD. Perhaps we should "Go Compare" and find it cheaper elsewhere - the Algerian AF could do our hostage rescue & AT, the Syrian AF the CIMIC. A thread on 3rd-party Defence service providers would make a welcome change from watching the RN & RAF "rats" fighting one another :ugh:

Melchett01
26th Jan 2013, 11:59
You don't need 7 odd SH squadrons to provide very occasional military assistance to civil authorities!

No you don't. But you do need 7 odd SH sqns to provide simultaneous 2 Coy lift, framework tasking, support to contingency and ABTF, SF support, UK national tasking, training and ops workup and cabs in maintenance.

I'm out of the HQ environment now, so unsighted, but what happened to the notion that the Merlins would go to CHF and the Merlin Force was to be backfilled with 14x CH-47?

Biggus
26th Jan 2013, 12:48
Melchett,

I never said otherwise - all I said was that you won't be able to keep SH asset numbers up on the tenuous basis of providing MACA - which you seem to fully agree with! Neither was I advocating a cut in SH numbers, just realistically saying it is probably inevitable...

By the way, I doubt the rest of your argument will hold much sway with the politicians and purse string holders in the post Afghanistan environment - best of luck!

Melchett01
26th Jan 2013, 12:52
You're probably right Biggus, I am expecting there to be a major push for a peace dividend post 2015. Although just what is left to cut is frankly beyond me. You know it's bad when a senior Lib Dem - Menzies Campbell - comes out on national TV and says defence of the UK has to be the first priority of the government and we have cut too far! :uhoh:

Finningley Boy
26th Jan 2013, 13:40
The next review will be coloured to some degree, I expect, by whatever threats to the realm and our Western and other overseas allies is perceived. It also depends on which Government we have, that will really carry some bearing.

If its Ted the Red, then for all the opposition complaints about Defence cuts (always carefully worded by Jim Murphy to attack the logic, not the depth of the cuts) then I think regardless of the military concerns and no matter how obvious we shall see all three services, and I'll put money on the R.A.F. especially, cut back below the irreducible minimum! That is, of course, imagining that it hasn't been achieved yet.:sad:

FB:)

Evalu8ter
26th Jan 2013, 13:53
Wrathmonk, as are UK standby SH aircraft. And they are called out about as often. Doesn't mean you need 6 Sqns of AD assets to generate a pair and and a spare does it? It's only called upon rarely, but when it is it could be of national interest - just like the national Sby RW assets. So, Typhoon is multi role and that justifies it? It's not more multirole than a CH47 though, especially in a UK homebase scenario.

Melchett - the original plan was Merlin 3/3a to CHF to be backfilled by 24 CH47F (UK Mk6). A 'peace dividend' has already been taken and the buy reduced to 14, hence why the original plan to re-equip 28/78 with Chinook needs to change; combined with the smaller Puma 2 programme there are potentially 2 Sqn plates at risk.

Easy Street
26th Jan 2013, 17:22
You know it's bad when a senior Lib Dem - Menzies Campbell - comes out on national TV and says defence of the UK has to be the first priority of the government and we have cut too far!

I suspect that Mr Campbell is of that view primarily because he is annoyed at the loss from his consituency of the northern Typhoon squadrons, and their accompanying legions of personnel. The promised arrival of thousands of squaddies from Germany sometime in the next 5 years probably doesn't hold that great an attraction to the more genteel denizens of East Fife, who provide 'Ming' with the core of his support. Let's just say that while there will still be cash flowing into the local economy, less of it might be spent on restaurants and golf...l

Ivan Rogov
30th Jan 2013, 23:18
Don't know the bloke, not an easy job as has been proved in recent years!
I don't care what his background is, he needs to build a balanced force that we can afford without any agendas, stop fleets looking after their own interests and stop papering over the cracks. There is still a lot of money in defence and we need more bang for our buck, real tangible improvements, not ambitious projects that fail to deliver.
I stayed through 2 redundancy tranches because I still think the job is worth it, fingers crossed he is up to the job :ok:

Might want to sort the RAF website out, not a good impression with 13 and 14 Sqn still on GR4 and other mistakes, looks like we are even counting disbanded Sqns RAF - Recently Disbanded (http://www.raf.mod.uk/organisation/recentlydisbanded.cfm)

Tocsin
20th Mar 2013, 18:02
Nothing is earmarked as it is the personal choice of the PM and recommended to the Queen.

As the requirement for the next 5 years will be to deliver the CEPP capability, in particular CVF, and replacement Vanguard etc one could see Stanhope as a likely contender. I would say Wall does not even feature, neither does Dalton (RAF told too many untruths in SDSR).

Well, as suggested in a later post, I bookmarked this :p

Can anyone confirm that ACM Peach gets VCDS vice Gen Houghton?

sedburgh
20th Mar 2013, 18:17
From: http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/A2C32BC9_5056_A318_A80F230364F982FF.doc (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/A2C32BC9_5056_A318_A80F230364F982FF.doc)

AIR RANK AND COMMAND APPOINTMENTS LIST 2.13

Air Chief Marshal Sir Stuart Peach KCB CBE ADC to be Vice Chief of the Defence Staff in the Ministry of Defence in May 2013 in succession to General Sir Nicholas Houghton GCB CBE ADC Gen.

Air Marshal Sir Andrew Pulford KCB CBE to be promoted Air Chief Marshal and to be Chief of the Air Staff and Air Aide de Camp to Her Majesty The Queen in July 2013 in succession to Air Chief Marshal Sir Stephen Dalton GCB ADC who is retiring from the Service.

Al R
20th Mar 2013, 21:09
What about the future; is there still a glass ceiling?

NATO - Allied Joint Force Command Brunssum | Air Marshal Graham Stacey (http://www.jfcbs.nato.int/jfcbrunssum/page13062316.aspx)

(not that AM GS hasn't done badly to date of course!)

Jacks Down
20th Mar 2013, 23:08
Graham Stacey is an exception, not a precedent.

alfred_the_great
21st Mar 2013, 10:11
Why is he not a precedent?

Red Line Entry
21st Mar 2013, 10:35
Because only a republic has a precedent, we have a monarch.

Jacks Down
21st Mar 2013, 16:15
Alfred,

Because he isn't aircrew! GS has managed to get to 3* without doing any 'core' RAF roles since his first 1* tour. That's because those jobs are almost exclusively reserved for aircrew (there are a few engineers about above 1*, and I'm not counting the chief vicar, chief doctor etc). A shrinking pool of aircrew means they will start to edge the other branches out of the non-core jobs in the not too distant future, as a matter of policy (albeit not published). GS has got there just as the window of opportunity is closing.

Whether this is right or wrong is another matter of course.

Geehovah
21st Mar 2013, 18:41
In my humble opinion, both are fine officers and I wish them well with the task they face. I even saw Peachy smile on one occasion!