PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a strip Coffs Harbour / Bellingen / Urunga

QDMQDMQDM
23rd Jan 2013, 20:18
I'm moving to this area from the UK with my PA18 Super Cub later this year. Does anyone know any strips in the area and especially anyone who might be willing to hangar my aircraft?

Thanks,

QDM

iPahlot
23rd Jan 2013, 20:48
Coffs Harbour is a big'ish airport so you shouldn't have much of an issue.

There is an airstrip in Nambucca Heads next to the Hacienda motel, not sure about hangerage. Map (https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=nambucca+heads&hl=en&ll=-30.667632,152.984533&spn=0.025212,0.042787&sll=-27.40739,153.002859&sspn=1.665316,2.738342&hnear=Nambucca+Heads+New+South+Wales&t=h&z=15)

There are a couple of private airstrips around as well, give the Coffs Harbour Aeroclub (http://www.coffsharbouraeroclub.com/) a call they might be able to help you further.

QDMQDMQDM
23rd Jan 2013, 21:15
Thanks, iPahlot, much appreciated. Will follow up. Any other personal leads from anyone will also be appreciated!

Aerodynamisist
24th Jan 2013, 00:41
There is also a airstrip at sandy beech, to the north of coffs, it is owned by an a retired Ansett Capt.

It's called stewarts the aero club might have Stewies number.

QDMQDMQDM
24th Jan 2013, 08:27
Thanks Aerodynamist. I will do!

poonpossum
24th Jan 2013, 11:21
You flying the plane here bro?

Dick Smith
24th Jan 2013, 20:21
Just north of Urunga are two high radio masts. Sometimes very hard to see.

Be careful!

hiwaytohell
25th Jan 2013, 07:02
Also Nana Glen??

QDMQDMQDM
25th Jan 2013, 07:40
Did think of flying, but it's 160 hours flight time and a lot of administrative hassle to get avgas available etc. These things are far harder today than in the golden era of the 30s or even up to the 60s / 70s. Also, would be a $25-30K+ adventure and take 6 weeks realistically, maybe longer. Also, I'm going to fit a belly tank when it gets to Australia, which would be really useful / essential for that trip and for various reasons to do with the UK CAA's inability to accept FAA STCs that would be difficult to do in the Uk and will be easy in Australia. I will bring it in a box.

Dick -- noted, thanks!

Nana glen -- thanks, will check it out. Probably slightly far from my intended radius of ops. Looking more for Bellingen area / Coffs Harbour South.

Sunfish
25th Jan 2013, 20:27
Qdm, my comment either got lost or deleted. BE Very Careful about shipping an aircraft in a container and supervise the packing loading and unloading yourself.

I have seen some real tragedies caused by ignorance, stupidity, curiosity and shear bloody minded ness.

VH-XXX
25th Jan 2013, 21:05
Holy smoke, 160 hours!!! That's a long way. One hell of an adventure but not without a few risks on the way. Planky from here did the reverse but that was in a Warrior or Cherokee from memory. Good luck with the import, lots of people doing it at the moment.

QDMQDMQDM
26th Jan 2013, 10:31
Thanks, Sunfish and VH-XXX!

topdrop
26th Jan 2013, 10:45
Supercub - should be able to land it at George's helipad , about 10Ks North of Bello.

QDMQDMQDM
26th Jan 2013, 21:43
George's heliport? More info? Feel free to PM.

aquadraco
27th Jan 2013, 11:37
To the best of my knowledge there are no airstrips currently active in the Bellinger Valley. At one time an airfield was suggested for an area west of Bellingen, but like most of the flat land in the Valley it was flood-prone. There was a private strip in a cow paddock near Urunga some years ago, but that no longer exists. There is an existing strip adjacent to the Nambucca Motel/Resort, but it is not mentioned on the Resort's website. It may be for private use only, or out of service.
Your best bet is certainly Coff's Harbour Airport. You may be able to operate out of some farm strips, but you will need to put the Super Cub in a hangar - which means the Airport.
BTW, I assume the reference to "George's helipad" refers to a pad owned by Australian TV journalist George Negus. A square concrete pad would probably be too small, even for a Super Cub.

QDMQDMQDM
27th Jan 2013, 18:44
Thanks. The last thing I want is to have an aircraft based at a controlled airport. Looks like I will have to see what I can sort out locally.

Super Cecil
27th Jan 2013, 21:32
I used to work out of a strip to the west of Bellingen, it took off over the Dorrigo road. Was a fair while ago, I think the road that went to the back of the airstrip against the hill and timber was Horseshoe loop road or something like that. From memory the strip was about 350 metres down hill with a large dropoff to where the road was. At the time the house and land was for sale and it had a big shed/hanger right beside the house and strip. That would have been at least 25 years ago so who knows what has happened there since. I'll try and find it on a map program.

QDMQDMQDM
27th Jan 2013, 21:36
Thanks, Cecil! You never know...

I am trying to avoid owning a strip myself. I'd much rather pay to use someone else's than have to invest in a whole estate with all that entails just for a strip.

Super Cecil
27th Jan 2013, 21:43
No problems, just found it on the net, it's looks like it's been 25 years since it was flown off as well. I measured the actual take off distance and it was closer to 300 metres.

QDMQDMQDM
27th Jan 2013, 22:02
300m would be fine, depending on obstacles, and it would be nice to be two way. I'm sure something will present itself.