PDA

View Full Version : Late 1960s BEA liveries

MARK9263
22nd Jan 2013, 20:00
Fairly simple question hopefully.

When in the late 1960s did BEA introduce their new latest livery? Replacing the white colour scheme with the BEA 'box' logo...

DaveReidUK
22nd Jan 2013, 21:21
Unveiled in August 1968. I recall seeing Trident 2 G-AVFI at the Farnborough show the following month in the new livery.

MARK9263
23rd Jan 2013, 07:04
Many thanks..

The SSK
23rd Jan 2013, 07:26
Known as 'Speedjack' apparently. Strange, I never heard that name before, and I was sharing a flat with three BEA General Apprentices at the time.

DaveReidUK
23rd Jan 2013, 10:27
Known as 'Speedjack' apparently. Strange, I never heard that name before, and I was sharing a flat with three BEA General Apprentices at the time.

Me neither. When I joined BEA in '71 we still had a fair mix of aircraft in the new scheme and the old (red square) one, but I never heard the former being referred to by any name, official or unofficial.

Having said that, we engineers didn't tend to spend our time sitting around discussing what colour our aircraft were painted. :O

MARK9263
23rd Jan 2013, 11:34
That was possibly my next question....How long did the original BEA livery linger on?

Was this a similar scenario when they became part of British Airways. There were still Tridents in the 'Speedjack' livery in 1978, four years after the merger.

avionic type
23rd Jan 2013, 18:41
BEA red box on the tail ,Red wings ,black cheat line late 50s. Big BEA over the front doors and small BEA over rear doors and funny Union jack on tail middle to late 60s, [took a long time to repaint whole fleet normally painted after a major o/h ].BEA AND red wings disappeared after amalgamation in the early 70s and a small "Speedbird " forward of main door and British Airways added, please forgive there were a few other tweeks but these were the main ones.Please remember BEA had a big fleet of aircraft and it took a long time to repaint the whole fleet of differant planes.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
24th Jan 2013, 09:57
I don't normally give Wiki much credit but this might be interesting, if you've not already seen it; British European Airways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_European_Airways)

The next to last bit is concerned with liveries.

Discorde
24th Jan 2013, 10:44
Aerocard model of B787 in 'Red Box' BEA livery (http://steemrok.com/aerocard/BEA%20b787%20v5) (just for fun)