PDA

View Full Version : Parked Helicopters

Anthony Supplebottom
22nd Jan 2013, 15:02
As prisoners let out to the exercise yard so EC have granted approval for the global 225 fleet to stretch its legs before all their joints get creaky.

This leads me to ask, can anyone advise what is generally accepted as the longest period you can leave a heli before some mechanical attention is needed, especially in the light category such as 407/350?

I'm not talking about calendar maintenance which obviously continues regardless of whether the aircraft flies but the longest gap which can occur between calendar scheduled maintenance. Is it similar across most types or are there large differences according to type?

Some private owners can go several months without flying. What are the things to look out for if this happens and what helps in terms of preparing an aircraft for long-term parking. What should you look-out for if you have to fly an aircraft which has been parked for several months but which has apparently been maintained?

Any thoughts, advice, experience is this area will be appreciated.

hueyracer
22nd Jan 2013, 15:15
I personally like to start-up the engine(s) every 14 days.
This helps to get everything lubricated and sealed......

Other companies i used to work for use 21 days.....

twisted wrench
22nd Jan 2013, 15:20
Maintenance manual for the airframe and engines should give you all the instrucitons for short term and long term storage. Should also explain what is the difference in short or long term, normally is in time on how long you plan to not operate the aircraft.

Anthony Supplebottom
22nd Jan 2013, 15:25
Thanks Huey.

Do you have a section in your technical log for recording starts for ground runs?

ShyTorque
22nd Jan 2013, 16:23
This leads me to ask, can anyone advise what is generally accepted as the longest period you can leave a heli before some mechanical attention is needed, especially in the light category such as 407/350?

Normally no longer than over lunchtime, especially in the rain. ;)

hueyracer
22nd Jan 2013, 17:12
No special section-but a "tic out" box.....

The starts are logged with the next flight only......we just sign it of...

500e
22nd Jan 2013, 20:36
Shy
That long :( are you sure

spinwing
22nd Jan 2013, 22:20
Mmmm ...

Anthony .. dear chap ... your answer depends on many things ... primarily
the aircraft type and its age ... also whether it is inside or outside ... and if outside what the seasonal conditions are and then whether the engine(s) had been properly inhibited or not etc etc etc.

The particular aircrafts 'Maintenance Controller' would be the appropriate person to talk too with regard those requirements ...

Most airworthiness authorities (and Insurance companies) will require at least that the aircraft has its 'Form1' (aircraft return to service) or equivalent be valid and signed off prior to any starts or runs ... and then of course any un-serviceabilities entered for action if found.

Cheers