PDA

View Full Version : Near miss on approach...

Captivep
22nd Jan 2013, 08:37
LiveLeak.com - Mid-air near miss

GWYN
23rd Jan 2013, 06:32
Bankstown??

Captivep
23rd Jan 2013, 07:23
Apparently it's Moorabbin, according to Liveleak.

aditya104
25th Feb 2013, 05:41
Original description from the longer version at YouTube,
JD3fZMgTzNQ

In July 2012, a friend and I were returning from an overnight trip to northern NSW, and were inbound to Moorabbin Airport. I was the PIC for this flight, however my friend is also a licensed private pilot. We were flying VH-EOP, a Cessna 172SP. The flight had preceded uneventfully, and we had just reported inbound to the airport at the Academy reporting point. The video begins shortly afterwards.

We were instructed to join downwind for the active runway, 35R, and were following VH-NEG, a Cessna 182. Traffic levels were very high that afternoon, and when we approached late downwind we were number 4 to land. Sensing that we were too close to the preceding landing aircraft, we elected to extend the downwind leg slightly. As we were on mid-base, VH-EWE, another Cessna 172, reported downwind and was told to follow us. However, the pilots EWE never saw us, and instead followed the aircraft in front of us and completed a very tight circuit. Once we were established on short final we were given clearance to land by the tower. A few seconds later, I looked to the right and saw VH-EWE a few meters directly above and in front of our right wing. I pulled the power back and raised the nose just enough to slow the aircraft down, and VH-EWE descended in front of us. I advised the tower of what had happened, and EWE was instructed to go-around. I confirmed we were still cleared to land, and we completed an uneventful (though rather hard) landing on 35R.

I uploaded this video not only because it's an impressive piece of footage, but it shows how important it is to maintain situational awareness at all times, even if you are receiving instructions from ATC. It was recorded on a GoPro camera that was fixed to the side of the windscreen, it was not at all distracting or had any impact on the flight. The incident was later investigated by the ATSB.

Pilot.Lyons
25th Feb 2013, 07:01
Jesus christ! Was he a student?

Or just another one of those people who can do it right :-/

I know we all make mistakes but that is shocking!

Unusual Attitude
25th Feb 2013, 08:04
Jesus christ! Was he a student?

Or just another one of those people who can do it right :-/

I know we all make mistakes but that is shocking!

He mis-identified the aircraft he was supposed to be following in a busy circuit, not a good situation but it happens. If in doubt ask the tower for a heads up, no shame in it, I had to do that on Saturday when I'd lost sight of the traffic ahead of me in the circuit whilst I orbited for spacing.

Regards

UA

pfeinstein
1st Mar 2013, 15:05
Re. the first video, what's interesting & crazy is that the intruding plane (supposing it was THAT plane that DIDN'T have clearance....) drops into the recorder's line of sight and seems to settle into final approach to land. And then he just swans off and aborts the landing. Didn't even try to make use of his intrusion! Was he having engine or some other type of mechanical trouble?Crazy!

EddieHeli
1st Mar 2013, 17:12
Re. the first video, what's interesting & crazy is that the intruding plane (supposing it was THAT plane that DIDN'T have clearance....) drops into the recorder's line of sight and seems to settle into final approach to land. And then he just swans off and aborts the landing. Didn't even try to make use of his intrusion! Was he having engine or some other type of mechanical trouble?Crazy!
I didn't watch the first link but on the orginal one he was told to Go Around by ATC.

I have had something similar happen to me 3 times now so my head is on a swivel whenever I am near an airfield.

Tankengine
2nd Mar 2013, 00:26
The tower controller has to shoulder a little blame too for not watching what was going on.:eek:

India Four Two
2nd Mar 2013, 03:09
For those who are not familiar with the GoPro camera, it has an ultra wide -angle lens. The Cessna that cut-in was very, very close!:eek:

astir 8
2nd Mar 2013, 04:24
It's what you teach in gliding - keep a good lookout outside the circuit as well as towards the landing area! That's where the guy who will kill you is usually coming from!