PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Wellington veterans

Steve Bond
22nd Jan 2013, 07:52
I am in the planning stage for a new book on the Wellington in service, which will cover every aspects of its use in all theatres from 1938-1952 including; bombing, maritime, transport, 100 Group ops, training (OTU and post-war navigators), etc.

The book will make extensive use of personal stories, and although i already have guite a number, I am now looking more more. So, if you were air or ground crew in any role, or a Wimpey student, please get in touch.

thank you

Steve Bond

Sir George Cayley
22nd Jan 2013, 18:25
I'm sure Brooklands Museum could help. Maybe you know that already.

SGC

Steve Bond
23rd Jan 2013, 07:38
Yes I do, thanks.

CNH
23rd Jan 2013, 22:56
My father flew Wellingtons in the war. He's still alive, 91 and quite compos [just bought a new car], but you'll have to go to Sidmouth if you want to talk to him.

Steve Bond
24th Jan 2013, 08:01
Thanks CNH, a private message is on its way.

suninmyeyes
24th Jan 2013, 18:24
OldBOACpilot is still around age 94. He flew Wellingtons from 1940-1945 with 9 squadron and 70 squadron and instructed on them for 29 OTU at Bruntingthorpe, North Luffenham, Woolfox Lodge and Biddeswell. While instructing he also operated on one of the 1000 bomber raids when there were just under 1000 operational bombers and they used some of the knackered training aircraft and instructors to make up the numbers.

He is not very mobile but still has his marbles and has a better memory of those days than he has of where he left his spectacles or what he did last week. He has some good stories, was very fond of the Wellington and would be happy to talk to you. He hasn't been on this forum for a while but you can get in touch with him through me. He lives in Berkshire.

Steve Bond
23rd May 2013, 14:08
Many thanks Antony, private message sent.

Steve Bond

pzu
23rd May 2013, 16:38
FAO cyril edward, suninmyeyes and CNH

Gentlemen

You may not be aware, but there is one of the best threads ever currently running on 'PPRuNe' that is always looking for 'new recruits'

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/329990-gaining-r-f-pilots-brevet-ww11-191.html

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

Bamboobomber
14th Jun 2013, 09:53
Steve, just sent a PM

old,not bold
14th Jun 2013, 16:42
As a tiny footnote to the story, my father's logbook has an entry which is interesting only because of the date;

(1939) SEPT 4
Wellington 1A L.4259
F/O Macrae, Self
AC Hartnell, Corp Roberts, AC Wyndham
OPS Brunsbuttel 4/500 Lb GP.

Oddly, it was his first flight in a Wellington since June 13th ("Air Firing"). All he did in that period was a few trips in a Magister. The only thing he flew for the rest of that September was a Wallace, whatever that was. He was in B Flight, 149 Sqn, at Mildenhall, as far as I can tell, and converted from Heyfords to Wellingtons in January 1939.

Luckily he didn't do this again in a Wellington, AFAIK.
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/picshooter/HeyfordMildenhall.jpg

Steve Bond
18th Jun 2013, 12:57
Many thanks for that Oldnotbold.

sharksandwich
28th Jun 2013, 01:21
Nothing to do with flying etc but was not the last to stumble upon a crashed Wimpy in the Brecon Beacons if of any help.

Steve Bond
1st Jul 2013, 11:14
Cyril Edwards - please check your private messages.

Shark Sandwich - interesting, please tell me more.

Thanks

Pfothe
11th Jul 2013, 14:06
I was a Wellington pilot and completed a tour of ops from Foggia, Italy. Don't know if I can help but I may be able to answer the odd question.

Steve Bond
21st Jul 2013, 10:21
Dear Pfpthe,

Thanks for getting in touch, I have sent a private message.

Steve

Steve Bond
4th Aug 2013, 09:08
Dear all,

This has to be the FINAL CALL for new material for my Wellington book, as writing is now well underway. So please, any new offers out there? And one or two of you have offered help but not as yet followed up - Sharksandwich?

Thanks

Steve Bond