PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Wellington veterans

Steve Bond
22nd Jan 2013, 07:48
I am in the planning stage for a new book on the Wellington in service, which will cover every aspect of its use from 1938-1952, including; bombing, maritime, transport, 100 Group ops, training (OTU and post-war navigators), etc.

The book will make extensive use of personal stories, and although I already have quite a few I am now looking for more. So, if you were air or ground crew in whatever role, or a Wimpey student, please get in touch.

Thank you

Steve Bond

Al R
22nd Jan 2013, 09:00
Steve,

My (ex) father-in-law was an Air Gunner in the Wellington, Stirling, Lancaster and the Washington. He did more than 2 tours and retired after 36 years with a DFM and an enduring mistrust for Ground Gunners after one pinched his pushbike in 1943.

If you'd like to PM me your contact details, I can certainly pass them on for him to consider. He lives in Lincoln and is still sprightly with a good memory but doesn't get out much.

peppermint_jam
22nd Jan 2013, 10:43
Steve, I might be able to help. Drop me a PM with an email address I can contact you on.

Pontius Navigator
22nd Jan 2013, 10:45
Steve, write to the RAF Club and they may be able to publicise your quest.

I also recall reading many years ago, in Air Clues, an extract from a F540 written by the F540 officer on a Wellington Sqn in the Gulf of Aden. The narrative recounted how one of the Wellingtons had located a U-boat and how the prosecution was continued by a number of aircraft from that sqn. For the time, remarkably, the Wellingtons were spread around a number of airfields in the Gulf including Socotra and I believe Somalia. However what was remarkable was the style of the narrative.

It was not in a very dry factual style but was written in the third person as if by an observer in the back of the Wellington. It was a readable and enlightening narrative that deserved to see the light of day (hence its inclusion in Air Clues) but would be fitting for such a book as you are writing. Try contacting the RAF Air Historical Branch.

Steve Bond
22nd Jan 2013, 12:08
Pontius, many thanks for that.

PMs sent to the otjher two gentlemen.

Steve

Sandy Parts
22nd Jan 2013, 12:26
Sadly you've just missed my grandfather (ex-Wellington rear gunner) who passed away late last year. My mother does have a copy of his (brief) WWII memoirs so if you'd like to PM me with an email address, I'll pass it on to her.

Steve Bond
22nd Jan 2013, 12:46
Thank you, PM sent.

peppermint_jam
23rd Jan 2013, 08:11
Nothing recieved as yet Steve.

Steve Bond
23rd Jan 2013, 08:59
How odd, I have just sent you another message.

Steve

whalebone
23rd Jan 2013, 09:13
W/Cdr Ken Wallis of Autogiro fame and countless
other exploits is ex Wellington, sharp as a tack and well worth contacting.

Steve Bond
23rd Jan 2013, 09:57
Thanks Whalebone, he's on my list.

1.3VStall
23rd Jan 2013, 19:19
Steve,

My father-in-law started WWII as a WOp/AG on the Wellington and he is still going strong at 93.

PM me and I'll see what we can do.

GlenT
31st Jan 2013, 10:58
Hello Steve,

I have at least six Wellington air and ground crew that flew with 75(NZ) Squadron (and others) here in NZ on my Association listings. If you can give me any other detail, I'll contact each one and let them know about your request and see if they are prepared to talk, discuss etc...

Regards
Glen Turner
Secretary
75 Squadron NZ Association
www.75squadron-raf-rnzaf.com (http://www.75squadron-raf-rnzaf.com)
[email protected]

Steve Bond
3rd Apr 2013, 12:36
Glen, any news yet please?

The research is progressing at a furious pace tnanks to the enthusiasm of the surviving veterans.

The main gaps that still need plugging are:

DW.I - anyone out there?
Transport ops - ditto
Post-war French Navy
75(NZ) Sqn!

Regards

Steve

Steve Bond
4th Aug 2013, 09:11
Dear all,

This has to be the FINAL CALL for new material for my Wellington book, as writing is now well underway. So please, any new offers out there? And one or two of you have offered help but not as yet followed up.

Thanks

Steve Bond