PDA

View Full Version : Career development loans

tallbuilding!
18th Apr 2002, 00:11
Hi All,

I am converting from FAA to JAA and investigating a UK Careers Development Loan for some of the costs of ATPL Distance learning and Modular Flight Training - at zero percent interest it seems churlish not to...

It says on the information pack from Barclays that a "Training provider" has to be registered with the Department for Education and Skills.

Are Flight Training Organisations generally registrered with the DfES?

Does anyone else have experience with a CDL?

No doubt this has been covered in the past but I am new here!

TIA ;-)

easondown
18th Apr 2002, 08:54
I got one for about 6K several years ago to help convert my FAA licences to CAA(UK). I had no problem in getting one from Barclays.

Lucifer
18th Apr 2002, 11:00
The government information pack has an airline pilot on the front, so even if a school is not, I assume that they should be available to you.

trolleydollylover
19th Apr 2002, 06:27
I was awarded a career development loan last year. I dont know how they are viewing pilots at the moment.
I got mine from Banc-lays. They experdited the loan as I kept on their backs. The Scotish Bank didnt want to know.
I later returned the money after September, as I was worried that several schools might go under and I didnt want them taking my 8K.
I will apply for it again when the market picks up and I am ready to do my IR.
I have however got £20K fro HSBC, professional studies loan. I have used some for flying and invested the rest, until the market again looks ready to recruit. This can be paid into your account whereas the Career Development loan gets paid direct to your school.
If you are worried that they might go LA LA then do a credit search, or dont use them.
I am currently with Atlantic Flight Training in Coventry. They are excellent and very understanding.
If you require any more help then please drop me a line and I will see what I can do to help.
Good Luck
PS has any body seen PieLander recently

Grandad Flyer
20th Apr 2002, 14:55
I've had two CDLs in the past, both with Co-op, they were very efficient at issuing the loans. I used them for training in the USA and converting back in the UK. I think most UK schools who are used to dealing with people doing commercial level flying will probably be registered. I believe you do now need to specify which schools you are doing which part of your training with.
However, bear in mind the bit about "extra expenses". If you list loads of extras like books, headset, travelling costs, accommodation, etc.etc. you can have a large part of the loan paid direct into your bank account.
Also, just for interest, the airline pilot on the front of the CDL pack is a real airline pilot and did take out a CDL for the training, there is a case study with the pack which explains it.

Gareth17
22nd Apr 2002, 14:53
Hi everyone,

Could someone please help me!

I need around 25,000 pounds to do my flight training where can i get this from? I have looked into Carreer Development loans but can only get 8000? someone help please i really want to be a pilot!

Yours Sincerely

Gareth Williams:(