PDA

View Full Version : Shipping an AS350

Efirmovich
20th Jan 2013, 04:55
Hi All.

Does anyone have any experience of shipping an AS350 in a 40ft High cube sea container, if so whats involved ?

Thanks E.

alpineflyers
20th Jan 2013, 06:13
Hi Efirmovich,
Not difficult. We have shipped 7 Jetrangers to Australia and NZ in 40 ft containers, actually put 2 helicopters into one 40 ft container. I guess you would have to pull the mast. Make sure the fuel tank is empty and you strap down all available tie down points. Nail down some wood blocks on either side of the skid tubes to prevent sideway movements of the skids. Blades can be stored an floor between skids, other parts you decide to take off (in our case it was the horizontal stabs) you can put into cabin. Make sure you wrap them and tie them down. And get insurance. Thatīs it.

vaibronco
20th Jan 2013, 07:12
I spent 4 years with P&O Nedlloyd dealing also with dangerous goods. I don't remember how we managed these cases. I would suggest you check properly with your shipping agent, regarding fuel, hydraulic and lubrication systems in order to avoid delays and fines.
Found this in the web:
OOCL - Customer Advisory: Upcoming Key Changes in the New IMDG Code Amendment 35 (http://www.oocl.com/usa/eng/localinformation/localnews/2011/Pages/22dec2011.aspx?print=true&rsimg=)

According to these pages, following a procedure will allow to ship them as "non dangerous".

Ciao

Efirmovich
20th Jan 2013, 07:55
Thanks Guys,

We have no problem with the actual paperwork side as we have a very good agent that is used to shipping machines, what I really want to know is more the engineering side, is it easier to remove the MRG etc. than to put it on short dummy skids ?

E.

BlueWhiteSky
20th Jan 2013, 08:38
Ask heli aviation (Heli Aviation GmbH - Hubschrauber Dienstleistungen, Ausbildung, Technologie - Heli Aviation GmbH (http://www.heli-aviation.de)) in Germany, the sent a AS350 some years ago to Haiti for humanitarian work after the earthquake. As far I know to Haiti by airfreight return by container.

PUMA RC Pilot
20th Jan 2013, 09:29
Please carried out preservation of helicopter before disassembly.

For 40 ft container Please remove the following items and store them on transportation equpt. (Box or stands)

1) Main rotor Blades
2) Main rotor shaft assy (install Dummy cover)
3) Vertical fins ( reinstall tail cone)
4) Reinstall MGB cowlings
5) Comms antenna if necessary
6) Horizontal Stabilizer
7) Center lower fairing (below fuel tank)
8) LH & RH fairings (Landing light)
9) Landing gear [install transpotation gear](Dummy L/G)

SECURE Helicopter with straps and bolts the dummy L/G down to container.
All items must be SECURE to container.

GOOD LUCK

J&K
20th Jan 2013, 09:56
Shipped loads of AS350.

You need to sit it on shipping skids, and remove the MR mast. So you need a shipping fixture for MRGB (other wise there's nowhere to fix the suspesion bars).

So skids off, vert and horiz stabs off, blades and MR Mast off. Shipping skids and MGB shipping fixture on.

PM me if you need more details.

Efirmovich
20th Jan 2013, 11:03
Thanks to all. I will PM you J&K later in the week when I have more details.

E.

baby spanner
20th Jan 2013, 15:01
last one we shipped we removed the MRGB and empennage. drained all the fuel, disconnected the battery and put the blades in a box below the aircraft. put to laths of wood either side of the skids and then one across the skids and screwed it all down as well as using ratchet straps! depending on that country it is you may need to use treated wood... i would suggest you price it in a local maintenance company!