PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Rating Training (Modular)

TangoDeltaJuliet
19th Jan 2013, 20:29
I'm looking at starting the 55 hour (35 Sim, 20 a/c) IR course at my school shortly, and to compare with other peoples experiences (so I know what I should expect)- If anyone else who has been down the modular route recently could spare the time to answer a few questions it would be much appreciated

Roughly, and assuming good availability on a full time course

1) How long do the Sim and Aircraft sections of the course take, respectively? 2) How long do the sorties/sessions last in the air and in the Sim?
3) Did you usually fly/have a Sim session every day?
4) How much home or "out of school" study did you do?
5) How useful was it back seating other flights.
6) Did your training schedule go to plan? (Were there any tech issues, weather delays or additional training required)

I'm just trying to gauge how demanding the course will be and how much time I will be left with.

Any other Pre-IR hints and tips will also be appreciated

Thanks!

Ty-Fry-Typhoon
19th Jan 2013, 22:55
Did mine two years ago so not sure how much help I'll be but here goes:

1) How long do the Sim and Aircraft sections of the course take, respectively?
MEP a week, sim 2 weeks A/C about 2-3 weeks.
2) How long do the sorties/sessions last in the air and in the Sim?
sim starts off 1 hour then goes to 2 hours, I hated it as I just couldn't trim the thing but I used it for what it is and learnt the procedures.
3) Did you usually fly/have a Sim session every day?
Yes apart from the usual sim/aircraft going tech poo weather etc.
4) How much home or "out of school" study did you do?
5) How useful was it back seating other flights.
Honestly for me not very but I always went and would always recommend going, CPL I found it very good.
6) Did your training schedule go to plan? (Were there any tech issues, weather delays or additional training required)
Nope, and we had a brand new A/C, that's flying though.

I found it easier than the CPL as my instructor said it's on rails, your always tracking too or from something. It did help me I was already instructing myself before I did it, my flying was at a high standard, any questions no matter how dumb they seem feel free to PM me.
Good luck
Scan, Trim, Relax.

Ty-Fry-Typhoon
19th Jan 2013, 22:58
Question 4, loads before the course, not much during apart from planning flights and a few bits and bobs as they came along.

TangoDeltaJuliet
20th Jan 2013, 20:08
Thanks Ty-Fry-Typhoon, that's cleared up all the questions I had about what to expect during the training :) Not so much step into the unknown anymore. 4-5 weeks is really good going and I'll be happy if I'm ready for the test anywhere near that time frame, although at my experience level and this time of year I expect it will take a bit longer.

I've heard that about the IR, not so unpredictable, and after the finishing the CPL its going to be a refreshing change, in fact I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into some proper flying! Thanks again :ok: