PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Rating Renewal after 12 months

QJB
19th Jan 2013, 02:00
Hi,

I have been reading the regs and I think I understand this but just wanted to get confirmation. I passed my MECIR test on February 20th 2012, nearly a year ago. Therefore my instrument rating will officially expire on the 20th of February this year. I am currently working full time and don't really have the time or money to renew it at present. Is my understanding of the regs correct in that I can sit a renewal anywhere up to the 20th of February 2014 and only have to pass a renewal test rather than re-sit an initial issue?

Cheers,

QJB

PPRuNeUser0163
19th Jan 2013, 02:05
QJB,

Yes you interpreted CAO 40 correctly!

Just be wary the longer you leave it, whilst still perfectly legal to renew , the longer it will likely take to be up to standard on the approaches/assymetric work if you haven't done it in a while.. hence the cost of doing a few flights might be more then doing it earlier when its fresher!

good luck:ok:

blacklabel
19th Jan 2013, 02:08
Mate there is something called CAO 40.2.1 freely pdf downloadable off google. Your MECIR will expire on the 28th of next month and then you got 12 month do renew it !
Geeeeeee i wonder what the rest of your theory knowledge is like ! :ugh:

flywatcher
19th Jan 2013, 03:21
Well Blacklabel, that is pretty encouraging for him, I thought he was just enquiring.

Username here
19th Jan 2013, 03:24
Geeeeeee i wonder what the rest of your theory knowledge is like !

Probably as good as the rest of your people skills d!ckhead... :mad:

Pitty you can't download them on google...

blacklabel
19th Jan 2013, 04:12
My people skills are fine thank you very much, and i stayed polite.

Capt Fathom
19th Jan 2013, 04:14
Pity you can't download them on google...

Actual I just did exactly that!

QJB has no doubt spent a considerable amount of money gaining that instrument rating. He/She had some idea of the renewal requirement.

But I don't understand why you would look for confirmation here on prune when logically your first port of call should be your training provider or a local CFI or ATO.

rhorgan
19th Jan 2013, 04:30
Why do you have to behave like a prick?

morno
19th Jan 2013, 04:59
What about checking your logbook. It has the expiry date there.

Do people really study things these days to expand their knowledge, or do they simply study things only to pass an exam?

That sort of thing is what would be learnt during your instrument rating.

morno

MakeItHappenCaptain
19th Jan 2013, 06:42
Maybe the suggestion here, QJB, (and anyone else without the motivation) is that rather than asking a public forum for an answer that you as a "professional" pilot should be aware of, if you don't know the answer, use your "skills" to find the answer in the documents or under the "current rules" tab of the CASA website.:cool:

You may come across some other tidbits of information while browsing that would help your professional knowledge.:ok:

Username here
19th Jan 2013, 07:03
Actual I just did exactly that!

I was talking about blacklabel's people skills...:}

Tankengine
19th Jan 2013, 08:51
My logbook does not have my expiry date?:confused:
My licence re-print does though.:rolleyes:

kellykelpie
19th Jan 2013, 10:13
blacklabel Mate there is something called CAO 40.2.1 freely pdf downloadable off google. Your MECIR will expire on the 28th of next month and then you got 12 month do renew it !
Geeeeeee i wonder what the rest of your theory knowledge is like !

Weren't you my FO once blacklabel.....

QJB
25th Jan 2013, 03:17
Thanks nkand for your original reply. As for the PPRUNE trolls, get a life. I did read the CAO's and as I said I was just seeking confirmation, PPRUNE seemed a pretty logical place go for that. Perhaps your time would be better spent elsewhere.

anothertwit
25th Jan 2013, 03:46
QJB, the one thing blacklabel said that was of any use is the 28th part. your IR runs out one year and at the end of the month in which you did it. so if you done it on the 1st of the month in effect you would hold your IR for 13months

jas24zzk
25th Jan 2013, 07:03
What an exciting thread!

What I saw...........

QJB has question, researches rules that are very open to interpretation.
QJB makes interpretation
QJB seeks the thoughts of others in his field for their of his interpretation.
<nothing wrong so far>
QJB gets lambasted for asking said peers.
Username Here comes in with one of the funniest and most appropriate retorts to anything on the web I have seen in donkeys:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:
----------------------

Captain Fathom said

But I don't understand why you would look for confirmation here on prune when logically your first port of call should be your training provider or a local CFI or ATO.

Probably on the guys mind, but everytime he fronts one, the question due other discussions escapes him...happens to the best of us :)

------------------------------------
Tankengine comes in with

My logbook does not have my expiry date?
My licence re-print does though.

VERY USEFULL!

Another twits post was also equally usefull!

-----------------------------------

QJB,
you might be working out of field atm, and unable to afford the flying at the minute and looking to renew at the last possible minute. If you do that, there is the risk of the added cost of recurrent training when you finally do the renewal. I hold an ME-NVFR, whilst I don't get to do it as often as I would like to due cost, I spend a lot of my spare time on the flight planning componant. Maybe this is something you could do short of flying to keep some of your skills from entering the back blocks of your mind, and if you can find some funding some sim time to practice those intercepts etc.

ANYTHING that makes your brain think about those things you have learnt will aid in having that knowledge available when you want it will help.

(i'm awaiting someone to call bullsh*t)

Good luck with the renewal when you can do it dude.

Cheers
Jas