PDA

View Full Version : CRM Training

Spunk
17th Jan 2013, 16:58
What are the requirements to train CRM under JAR-OPS 3? Can any FI(H) train it or do you need any special "add on"?

The reason why I'm asking is that I'm having a small discussion with my local CAA guy.

Bravo73
17th Jan 2013, 17:13
Our CRM training is conducted by CRMIs.

The CRMI course requires specific training and testing. IIRC, CRMI is then a licence rating (like FI).

Spunk
17th Jan 2013, 18:10
Thanks for the quick reply Bravo73.

In Germany we don't have that kind of rating. The aviation authorities keep telling us that there is no such thing as an approved CRM Instructor (approved by the CAA) however there are a lot of them calling themselves that way.
So when participating in a refresher / initial CRM course at an external school you'll be issued a certificate which could basically be signed by anybody.

JAR-OPS 3 states that during refresher training the instructor has to built in some aspects of CRM which leads me to the conclusion that any instructor should be able to instruct CRM.

During the line check the examiner is supposed to rate the CRM ability of the crew (SP cockpit). Doesn`t that mean that an examiner requires a CRM rating? Does that authorize an examiner to teach CRM?

Thomas coupling
17th Jan 2013, 19:18
In the Uk, the CAA recognise and support: CRMI and CRMI(E). Instructor and examiner.

National courses available to qualify you.

Interesting handle...old boy???

handysnaks
17th Jan 2013, 20:22
EASA has (what appears to me to be), a somewhat less formal stance on CRM than we currently do in the UK.

AMC1.1 ORO.FC.115&.215 Crew resource management (CRM) training
CRM TRAINER
The acceptable means of compliance are as set out in AMC1 ORO.FC.115&.215, except for (b)(2) of that AMC, for which the following qualifications and experience are also acceptable for a CRM trainer:
(a) a flight crew member holding a recent qualification as a CRM trainer may continue to be a CRM trainer even after the cessation of active flying duties;
(b) an experienced non-flight crew CRM trainer having a knowledge of HPL; and
(c) a former flight crew member having knowledge of HPL may become a CRM trainer if he/she maintains adequate knowledge of the operation and aircraft type and meets the provisions of AMC1 ORO.FC.115&.215, (b)(2)(i), (iv), (v) and (vi).
GM1 ORO.FC.115&.215 Crew resource management (CRM) training
GENERAL
(a) Crew resource management (CRM) is the effective utilisation of all available resources (e.g. crew members, aircraft systems, supporting facilities and persons) to achieve safe and efficient operation.
(b) The objective of CRM is to enhance the communication and management skills of the flight crew member concerned. The emphasis is placed on the non-technical aspects of flight crew performance.

MightyGem
17th Jan 2013, 20:30
During the line check the examiner is supposed to rate the CRM ability of the crew (SP cockpit). Doesn`t that mean that an examiner requires a CRM rating?

In the UK, that examiner would require a CRMI(L) qualification, with the L being for Line. Whereas the CRMI(G) instructors course is 5 days, the CRMI(L) course is only a day and concentrates on the non-technical aspects of flight crew performance(NOTECHS).

Spunk
18th Jan 2013, 08:47
@ TC If you consider 42 to be old...

Spunk is the name of a danish liquorice. It tastes a little bit salty and I used to eat tons of it. This is what it looks like.Spunk (http://www.worldofsweets.de/Lakritz/Extra-starkes-Lakritz/Spunk.html)

In the UK everything seems to be a little bit more structured. I have never heard of a helicopter pilot in Germany being CRMI (L) rated.
The aspects of CRM during the OPC or Line check are simply signed of by the FE/TRE. I guess if it wasn't that way we would be seriously in trouble being short off qualified examiners.

Non-PC Plod
18th Jan 2013, 11:21
The JAR-ops requirement is that CRM trainers are "suitably qualified" if IIRC.
There is little to clarify what that qualification should entail.I think it works much the same way under EASA rules. In the UK, the CAA has interpreted this by creating a structured system of CRM instructors and examiners for 3 different areas: ground training, line training, and base/simulator training. At least this means that anyone acting as a trainer or examiner should have demonstrated their ability to teach or assess the subject.
Every TRI, TRE, SFI,SFE, line training captain etc now must also be a CRM instructor too - the qualifications are inseparable.

handysnaks
18th Jan 2013, 12:14
Non-PC Plod.

Even our rules have had a slight change from the way they were originally laid down
1.9.7.2 Each Unit must have access to a CRMI (Ground) who will conduct initial and recurrent ground training. Training Captains (TREs) will be authorised by CAA Training Inspectors as CRMI (Base/Simulator) for the purpose of incorporating CRM assessment at the OPC. A Senior LTC is to be appointed as a CRMIE (Line) to qualify all other LTCs and OTOs in Unit CRM assessment at the Line Check. It is envisaged that Units may contract in Ground training staff and possibly qualify LTCs by workshop at regional level using an experienced CRMIE (Line) employed by another operator.
1.9.7.3 The CRMI (Line) qualification may be gained through a workshop run by CRMIE (Line) concentrating upon facilitation skills and application of the Unit’s Non-Technical Skills (NOTECHs) marking system

Note the use of the word 'May' rather than 'shall', in the parts I have underlined. This is (I believe), in keeping with the EASA ethos of self regulation by the operator (I appreciate that we are not an EASA operation but as we all know that the aim is to look like an EASA operation)! Thus the operator has the freedom to satisfy himself/herself (and of course the FOI), that at a line check level, all CRM training complies with the requirements even if it does not necessarily use externally qualified instructors. The ground training must still be carried out by an old fashioned CRMI(Ground).

MightyGem
18th Jan 2013, 14:59
Spunk is the name of a danish liquorice. It tastes a little bit salty
It has a slightly different meaning here in the UK. But also tastes slightly salty at times. Or so I'm told. :O:O