PDA

View Full Version : British Military Parachuting Fatality - Oman 1970

teeteringhead
16th Jan 2013, 10:19
AH & N Ppruners may recall that I mentioned in a previous thread (http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/493012-post-1945-raf-actions.html) last year on Post 1945 Actions, a paratrooper who was killed in the Mussandam Peninsula (Northern Oman) when his 'chute(s) failed to open during Op INTRADON in December 1970 (17th or 22nd - logbook not clear!).

I said I was hoping to drive from Abu Dhabi to Khasab this year, and hoped to find the commemorative cairn which was erected, and which I understand is still there. My trip is now definitely on for next month, and I've told some erstwhile colleagues of the deceased trooper that I hope to get an up-to-date photo of the cairn.

So what I'm looking for now is some accurate info on the location. I know (very) roughly where it would be, but given the enormous changes in the last 40-odd years, I'm not confident of finding it without help!

All contributions gratefully received, be they Lat/Long, UTM, Google Earth coords or whatever, and I'm happy to accept them posted here or by PM.

Many thanks in anticipation! :ok: