PDA

View Full Version : For Dual Citizens FAA or Easa/Jaa in Florida

nyfinest
16th Jan 2013, 06:10
Hello Aviators,

I really need help here, I have been going through the forums but everyone is in a different stuaition so couldnt find the right answer.

I am an American citizen, lived in ny for 11 years, and Turkish citizen, My ultimate goal is to hopefully get a job at turkish airlines in Turkey. Now for those Easa/Jaa schools in florida cost arround $70K. Which will be difficult to find.(If there is any cheaper please let me know)

Should I do FAA first, work for a year in the states, build some hours, then do the conversation for easa? Do they pay good? Or do I need to bartend on the weekends to save money for the conversation?

There are schools for around $40s,(I would appriciate recomendations) which is arround my budget but then how much the conversation would cost?

I would appriciate if you give advice what would you do if you were in my shoes?
by the way I am 29 have a career in International Trade but i will give that all up for the love of flying. :confused:

BigGrecian
16th Jan 2013, 14:49
Or do I need to bartend on the weekends to save money for the conversation?

Simply put yes.

$40,000 will not be enough to become dual qualified.

$70,000 seems like a bargin considering some European schools are over $100,000 just for the EASA qualification.

In my opinion and experience I have yet to meet someone who managed to save by doing FAA then converting.

zondaracer
16th Jan 2013, 15:38
I did my FAA training at a part 141 school in Arizona that was relatively small, and it wasn't even the cheapest way to do it. Total costs came to around $40,000 and I got CPL SE, ME, and IR. The JAA conversion cost me around $17,000 including MCC.

I could have saved some money if I had utilized a Cessna 150 or 152 for most of the SE VFR training and a C172RG for the CPL, but I didn't have those available to me at the time. I could have saved even more money if I had been willing to move to do my training at a lesser expensive flying club.

The JAA conversion probably could have been done for slightly cheaper had I chosen different countries for my training but probably not much cheaper. If I had stayed in the US until I got a regional airline job and an ATP, the conversion would have probably been cheaper with a type rating on a JAA ATPL.

nyfinest
17th Jan 2013, 12:34
thanks I think I will do the FAA ATPL first and try to get an airline job, then do the conversation to JAA.

now the hard part is to find schools in fl, any suggestions? I head good things for skyeagle.

B2N2
17th Jan 2013, 20:51
As of early next year you will need 1500 hrs for the airline job.
https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=13373

nyfinest
15th Jun 2013, 12:56
guys I think I am gona go to EFT where I can get easa atpl and graduate.I have read some good reviews but all the feedbacks are old from 2011.

suntorytimo
18th Jun 2013, 23:07
I would agree that EFT is your best bet. They are good, but not perfect, but if you're anything like me you don't fancy spending $150,000 at Oxford Aviation in the UK when you can achieve it for less than half that amount...

EFT is a good middle ground which offers good training and affordability. And they are most certainly the only EASA school to consider outside of Europe.