PDA

View Full Version : USA Flight School Recommendations, Please

Dead Loss
15th Jan 2013, 22:02
I am looking at funding my son for his CPL, ME, IR in the US. He is British, and despite extensive Internet research, we are having great difficulty identifying a good school. All the comments we find on various forums are mostly negative about the various schools we have considered, but there must be some good schools out there. Can you help with positive advice, guys?

RedBullGaveMeWings
15th Jan 2013, 22:41
Skymates in Texas! I know many guys who studied there and some of them are currently flying for Ryanair.
It isn't expensive at all and he can also obtain a EASA CPL and then do the EASA IR conversion at Biggin Hill.
The fleet is nice, well mantained and he will hardly have trouble in booking one.

JAA/EASA Courses « Skymates (http://www.skymates.com/jaaeasa/)

I know the owner, who is Italian, and I can tell you that he is very kind and always helpful. This school is gonna be my choice!

BigGrecian
15th Jan 2013, 23:24
And this proves the internet because the above post is the first positive post I've ever read about Skymates.

Don't read any forums - go visit. It might cost you a thousand pounds - but it will be obvious which school you will want to train at. You'll easily save that money if you go to one of the good schools.

RedBullGaveMeWings
15th Jan 2013, 23:59
BigGrecian is totally correct! I have to agree with him. The best thing is taking your son there and give a look personally.

As to good and bad posts about Skymates, I can only say that it is very popular among Italians and many of them are very satisfied with their choice.
I had some chats with the owner who personally offered his help to me. So far I have only heard good reviews about Skymates.

But I repeat, if you can afford to visit a school you'd like to study at, first visit it!

gerpols
16th Jan 2013, 08:03
Yes, go and visit Florida for sure, before you make a choice.
Paris Air in Vero Beach I would pay a visit.
I am not working there, but did training there, and was very pleased.
Good luck and have lots of fun !

RedBullGaveMeWings
16th Jan 2013, 15:12
Also, I would say to visit California!
American Aviation Academy in San Diego and Long Beach Flying Club in Long Beach. The second one is not a flight school but a flying club where your son can get his licence at lower prices.
I don't know how the theory part works but I think he will have to study on his own. As to flight instructors, all of them are freelancers there. I might be wrong though.