PDA

View Full Version : King Air Captain Requirements?

charlestaylor
14th Jan 2013, 22:57
I should probably know the answer to this (and I think I do), but here goes:

I recently applied for a job as a King Air Captain. Everything went well, but the employer said they would need to check with the CAA to see if I could legally fly as PIC. I have:

- A full JAA ATPL(A)
- 2400hrs TT (mostly multi-crew, multi engine turboprop (military))
- 780hrs PIC (mostly multi-crew, multi engine turboprop)
- 89hrs King Air, of which 9 are PIC.

Clearly I would need a type rating and IRT, but could I fly as PIC without 500hrs on type?

Sorry if this reminds anyone of those hideous air law mutli-choice questions, but just wanted to check my understanding.

Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

PT6A
15th Jan 2013, 00:13
500 on type is normally an insurance requirement.. Nothing to do with the CAA.

15th Jan 2013, 07:35
Charles - I know you've only just posted this, so people haven't had a good chance to reply yet. But I think you will get a better response if you post this in the 'Non Airline - Bizet, GA etc' section.

Good luck with the job.

mad_jock
15th Jan 2013, 07:57
There is an IFR requirement as well if its single crew.

If you can tick that box which is something like 750 hours.

Note thats IFR time not instrument time. Basically any flight you were IFR you can count.

I can't see any problems with the CAA side of things. Check that you have an ICAO 6 english which if you did your type rating with a UK TRE they can give you on the LST.

Apart from that its just the insurance that you need to satisfy. I would imagine that if the company contacted the insurance broker they wouldn't have a problem with you with or without 500 hours on type.

charlestaylor
16th Jan 2013, 13:29
Thanks for the responses, much appreciated!