PDA

View Full Version : 800(b) sqd Scimitars

NeilCP
14th Jan 2013, 22:35
Hello ,can anyone tell me if any of 800(b)sqd Scimitars carried sidewinders with the refueling pod whilst on HMS Eagle,i have a picture of an 803 sqd aircraft so equiped on Arkroyal and have some profile drawings showing 800 sqd aircraft carrying them but is that just artistic license as 800s aircraft were just there to refuel the early Buccaneers.I hope that makes sense lol,thanks for looking......Neil

Schiller
17th Jan 2013, 10:11
800B certainly had Sidewinders on their inventory, and I assumed flew with them on occasion, although probably not when the pod was fitted. They also practiced ground strafing from time to time, although, again, without the pods which had a fairly low 'g' limit; 2.5g, as I recall, although it was a long time ago.

We 'borrowed' the Sidewinders for the Buccs during the Confrontation, feeling we needed them more than they did.

NeilCP
17th Jan 2013, 13:05
Thanks for the reply,i thought that maybe the case,photos of them fitted seem to be as rare as rocking horse poo lol.thanks again......Neil

david parry
17th Jan 2013, 14:29
Sidewinders were never fitted to 800B Scimitars, in the refuelling role, onboard HMS Eagle quote from my bomb head oppo, on that commission;)

NeilCP
17th Jan 2013, 19:22
Thanks David,I have always liked the Scimitar and decided to make a model of one and as HMS Eagle is my favourite carrier it has to be an 800 Sqd machine.By the way does anyone have any pics of Scimitars they wouldnt mind shareing,Thanks......Neil

david parry
18th Jan 2013, 03:51
Send me your email address;)

david parry
18th Jan 2013, 07:19
Hope they all went through okay???

NeilCP
18th Jan 2013, 08:25
Yup they did,many thanks David,i did email you back.A great selection,thanks for taking the time to send them to me:),best regards.....Neil

Johnflex
21st Jan 2013, 08:14
Hi Neil,
I served as a young pilot on 803, mostly on HMS Hermes. I have a lot of pics some of which are on Facebook "John Flexman" is my public page so you should be able to see them. I'll put some more in that particular album.

Regards

John

david parry
21st Jan 2013, 12:27
FB don't mind if I do;)

NeilCP
21st Jan 2013, 13:37
Hello John,many thanks for that,i just spent a very happy half hour looking at your FB photos,what fantastic pictures:D,the one of the scimitar doing a bolter from the waist catapult especialy so:),the camera man must have been almost close enough to touch it.Judging by your photos you have had an interesting and varied career,thanks again for showing me the pics,best regards....Neil

Wyvernfan
21st Jan 2013, 16:50
Thanks for sharing those John. I've always like the Scimitar.. almost as much as the Wyvern ;)

Rob

NeilCP
16th Mar 2013, 13:30
Hi all,a little update,i came across a photo in a book called The Buccaneers by Air Commodore Graham Pitchfork,It shows the flight deck of Eagle in colour with 5 800 Sqd Buccaneers ranged to port and opposite Vixens and 3 Scimitars of 800b Flight.The middle one has a recon nose and is armed with a sidewinder,but frustratingly i cant see the aircraft code as is hidden behind a crane,but it is nice to see an 800b machine thats not just a tanker.
Oh and i have just finished johnflex's book,what an excellent read,i can recommend it:ok:

John Eacott
21st Mar 2013, 11:12
Hi Neil,
I served as a young pilot on 803, mostly on HMS Hermes. I have a lot of pics some of which are on Facebook "John Flexman" is my public page so you should be able to see them. I'll put some more in that particular album.

Regards

John

Fascinating photos of Warri & Pt Harcourt, but even more the shots of the Brent Field: I was there with BEAS, just before you by the look of it!