PDA

View Full Version : Unknown buildings at RAF Fairford

dunc0936
14th Jan 2013, 20:34
HI All

I have added a link below from Google maps of part of RAF Fairford. I was wondering if anyone knew what the two mounds might be (no rude comments) Hope the link works

Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en-GB&ll=51.69154,-1.764271&spn=0.007569,0.01929&t=h&z=16)

Duncan

Just This Once...
14th Jan 2013, 20:44
Bulk fuel installation with pantograph couplings.

Flying_Anorak
14th Jan 2013, 21:09
I know Fairford really well - these are old photos as a lot of the building works shown here has been finished for a couple of years now.

sisemen
15th Jan 2013, 00:13
Once they've closed the base and dug up the runways to turn 'em back into fields then the mounds may well be described as "bronze age burial mounds" by some future archaeologist.

howiehowie93
15th Jan 2013, 06:52
Bulk Fuel Installation, if you look to the left of them on that broad concrete area there are several USAF Type Bowsers with the long shadows helping to show their shape.

Regards
Howie

barnstormer1968
15th Jan 2013, 08:01
BGG

Wasn't your post a bit harsh and dismissive?

The OP may well be a bonafide fuel thief or terrorist!
So no need to be calling them a saddo or weirdo, just because they are asking for info that other posters have no right to give out (it they are serving or have served).

:E

Courtney Mil
15th Jan 2013, 08:03
A terrorist called Dunc? I really don't think so.

dunc0936
15th Jan 2013, 08:55
Terrorist, Nah I to proud to be British to be one of them, sado maybe as I am interested in military architecture, airfields especially stuff from the second world war, barracks, cold war bunkers etc. My brother used to be in the RAF and I used to love wondering around the base, Base commander thought I was a bit sad but harmless and let me get on with it. doubt that happen today with all the security worries

Dunc

Pontius Navigator
15th Jan 2013, 10:54
BGG

Wasn't your post a bit harsh and dismissive?

The OP may well be a bonafide fuel thief or terrorist!
So no need to be calling them a saddo or weirdo, just because they are asking for info that other posters have no right to give out (it they are serving or have served).

:E

BS, no, he is probably trying to find a kindred spirit.

The Helpful Stacker
15th Jan 2013, 14:37
HH93 - Those are RAF OOA Bowsers and given the age of the imagery they were most likely there to support Op Bolthole.

howiehowie93
15th Jan 2013, 17:35
I stand corrected - no long nose of the USA types where the engine would be. Should have looked closer.

Warmtoast
15th Jan 2013, 19:47
Turn on Google Street View and you can see what they look like from the fence as here:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/PetrolDump_zps216c9730.jpg

Always a Sapper
15th Jan 2013, 20:24
Bunkers cunningly disguised as a BFI, rumour has it there's six of them at the secret place in Wiltshire...

dunc0936
15th Jan 2013, 21:29
LOL thats why I posted it in the first place, I remember in my early days of bunker hunting, I was very proud of myself when I thought I had discovered a semi sunk cold war bunker up in Cumbria, took loads of photo's of the outside only to discover it was a final stage water reservoir. Could make a photo thread of this of places around the country.

barnstormer1968
16th Jan 2013, 13:06
Aah, you're a bunker hunter.
I have a few mates who are really into that, and luckily we have Burlington not far from us, as well as all the other below ground places near to it.

dead_pan
16th Jan 2013, 13:32
duncs - you may be interested in the following site, assuming you don't know it already:

28DaysLater.co.uk Urban Exploration Forums (http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/)

Kind of a PpRuNe for people like you... There's a big section on military installations - interesting stuff.

CoffmanStarter
16th Jan 2013, 13:42
You are all wrong ... they are a secret underground deep freeze facility for storing ice cream essential to USAF operations :E

dunc0936
17th Jan 2013, 12:01
Yes I have used that site and posted on it, another good site is

Home - Subterranea Britannica (http://www.subbrit.org.uk). lots of great places on there

Blacksheep
17th Jan 2013, 12:42
I was wondering if anyone knew what the two mounds might be Could they be a couple of dozen Spitfires? Buried in shipping crates.

Captain Radar....
17th Jan 2013, 16:41
Helpful stacker said
HH93 - Those are RAF OOA Bowsers and given the age of the imagery they were most likely there to support Op Bolthole.

Don't quite know why I've let myself get drawn into a BFI/bowser spotting post but HS's comment made me wonder....................if the tankers were there to support Op BOLTHOLE, where are the boltholers? I can't see any sign of aircraft on base and assuming it would have been the Brize bolthole we'd probably be able to see the odd frame or two!
No tankers visible on street view so they obviously aren't there all the time. What gives? Why do I care? Actually I don't - but I do like a bit of a puzzle - bet someone knows the answer.

ZH875
18th Jan 2013, 08:29
The aerial pictures and street view usually have dates that are well apart from each other. Even street view uses images from different dates.

At my house there is a van parked on the drive in street view until you get to two pictures away then it disappears. It is not there in aerial view which is about 3 years older.

Cows getting bigger
18th Jan 2013, 14:35
Captain Radar, that's easy. In time-old stacker tradition, the fuel is in the wrong place at the wrong time. :)

Did I ever tell you about an SH exercise in RAFG mid-80s? Fg Off Tac Stacker plotted a grid reference "up then along"................ :}