PDA

View Full Version : A333 Approach Category?

HERC
14th Jan 2013, 09:34
Hi,

Can someone enlighten me in which approach category does an A-333 fall?

C or D?

Is wing span a factor? As it changes the category. Or it is strictly based on approach speed at max certified landing weight? That keeps it in C.

Thanks in advance

CubaLibre
14th Jan 2013, 09:40
strictly based on approach speed at max certified landing weight That keeps it in C.

nitpicker330
15th Jan 2013, 04:48
True but some operators use Cat D

HERC
15th Jan 2013, 18:18
Thanks guys!

FlightPathOBN
15th Jan 2013, 18:57
http://www.airbus.com/fileadmin/media_gallery/files/tech_data/General_information/Airbus_ICAO-ARC_FAA-ADG_App-Cat-Oct2012.pdf

capt. solipsist
16th Jan 2013, 10:31
aircraft categories are not based exclusively on approach speeds but also include aircraft dimension in the categorization.

categorization also aims to ensure obstacle clearance.

it is fixed for each aircraft type during certification (the obstacle does not care how light your gross weight is, and therefore how slow your corresponding speed is).

CubaLibre
16th Jan 2013, 14:41
capt. solipsist, i didn't know that, would you happen to have a reference for that?

Thanks

FlightPathOBN
16th Jan 2013, 15:50
There is another thread on the board that has developed the Aircraft CAT pretty well. Its going to be based on Vref in a certain configuration. The AC manufacturers certify the CAT, and the State usually accepts this.

It really is per aircraft, as different airlines have different configurations and engines, and of course, ICAO has different FAS than FAA.

Some airlines even use artificially lower max landing weights, to get the regulator to accept a lower CAT for access, or in a case like Ryan, lower landing fees...

Here is Boeings list...the airport CAT includes wingspan CAT and approach CAT.... ie D-III

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/faqs/arcandapproachspeeds.pdf

HERC
17th Jan 2013, 02:59
FlightPathOBN:D

I am extremely grateful to you for the link on Airbus aircraft categories. I got misled on the issue because of a table with categories based on wing span.

Thanks once again.:ok:

capt. solipsist
17th Jan 2013, 11:29
Cuba Libre,

it's in the Jepps :ok:

Turbavykas
17th Jan 2013, 13:09
Does it only depends on the speed as the main restriction? If you are landing for some reason at high speed even in Cessna cat A you have to use appropriate higher category.
As the turning radius depends on the speed so the aircraft category. A bigger turning radius requires greater obstacle clearance. As far as I remember 737 can be C or D depending on the VREF.

That pdf says:
Aircraft Approach Category - A grouping of aircraft based on the indicated airspeed at threshold, as follows (source: PANS-OPS Doc 8168 Volume I, ICAO):

If you landing flap less on A320 you probably have to use D.

CubaLibre
17th Jan 2013, 14:51
Thank you capt. solipsist

FlightPathOBN
17th Jan 2013, 15:32
Turbavykas,

Yes this is true, you may, depending on circumstances, need a higher CAT. This is why you see the A330 series C or D, and a 737-700 C or D.

On final, you may not want to go full flaps to get below the CAT speed and use a higher one.

Turns include a max bank angle for the aircraft, which varies significantly between aircraft. The FD may limit the bank angle far below the criteria bank angle, so you may have to use a much larger radius.

While the 8168 doc states that, the design criteria is based on segment. For CAT C example, the max IAS cannot exceed 140/141 kts in the final approach segment. Turns to final, such as with RNP-AR, complicate the issue, as the criteria forces the final approach CAT speed through the entire turn. This is why you see such large turns to final (and while the ac can easily bank the turn at 20 degrees, you will see the ac bank about 5....)