PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Information.

Cornerstone958
13th Jan 2013, 11:41
PPRuNers can you help and point me in the right direction.
I am trying to get some information for a lady who lives across the road who's brother was lost in WW2. I have alrady established that he is buried in Reichwald Forest War Cemetery. (She was unaware of this thinking that he had no known grave.) The details are:
971971 Sgt David Watson Bond Air Gunner.
RAFVR 57 Sqdn.
Died 26 March 1942.
I believe that 57 Sqdn was located at Feltwell but this is where the trail dries up as I can find no further reference to him his aircraft or crew.
Any help would be appreciated.
CS

JW411
13th Jan 2013, 14:55
One of my books has 57 Sqn at Feltwell until 05 January 1942 when they moved to Methwold. They were equipped with Wellingtons at the time.

proteus6
13th Jan 2013, 15:36
26/27 March 1942

Essen

104 Wellingtons and 11 Stirlings. 10 Wellingtons and 1 Stirling lost.
The bombing force encountered heavy Flak at the target and many night fighters on the routes. Hits on the Krupps works and fires in Essen were claimed but the raid was actually another failure on this difficult target. Only 22 high-explosive bombs were counted in Essen, with 2 houses destroyed, 6 people killed and 14 injured. The bombers had suffered nearly 10 per cent casualties.
from
RAF History - Bomber Command 60th Anniversary (http://www.raf.mod.uk/bombercommand/mar42.html)

DeepestSouth
13th Jan 2013, 15:42
Several of the RAF online resources show 57 Sqn at Feltwell with Wellingtons (the Sqn code was DX) until Sep 1942 when they re-equipped with Lancasters. So - it looks like he was part of a Wellington crew. A bit more searching showed that on the night of 25/26 March 1942 Wellingtons were involved in 2 raids. One , on St Nazaire, lost 1 Wellington. It is unlikely that is your aircraft. The other, a force of 242 mixed aircraft included 192 Wellingtons raided Essen. Three were lost - one of which was (I think) Z1321 which crashed near Vlaardingen in the Netherlands, hit by AA fire (Source: RNZAF Wellington website). I could find no more but if you can find someone who has a copy of the Bomber Command War Diaries, or the 57 Sqn Operational Record Book (ORB) you might be able to find out more.

I expect you've noticed, from the Commonwealth War Graves site, that he is buried in a collective grave with 2 others. Their names are Freeman (Observer) and Hill (WOp/AG). No sign of any other crew so their bodies may never have been found or they may have been repatriated after the War.

I wish you the very best of luck with your search on behalf of this lady - well done you for helping out!

JW411
13th Jan 2013, 17:05
Well, I have found another reference:

"Methwold was prepared before the war as Feltwell's satellite........."

"When 57 Squadron reached Feltwell in November 1940 (20.11.40) it soon used it (Methwold) and by 1942 (05.01.42) operations were mounted from Methwold."

"In September 1942, 57 Squadron moved north (to Scampton 04.09.42)."

DeepestSouth
13th Jan 2013, 17:41
Cornerstone.

Just another thought - if the 3 in the collective grave were previously buried elsewhere - perhaps near the crash site - and then moved after the War, the CWGC may well have records showing where they were originally buried. If you can establish a few more links in the story you might end up finding the crash site.

Regards,

DS

Cornerstone958
13th Jan 2013, 20:16
Thanks to all the posters that have offered help so far. I will follow up the leads.
CS