PDA

View Full Version : Your first/last GO AROUND

shmiddy
13th Jan 2013, 08:42
Just watching reruns of flying wild Alaska and love how they make a go around out to be a extreme risky event. Got me thinking about go arounds. So thought it would be good for everyone to swallow their pride and post about their first/latest go around.

Mine was flying into leeuwin estate in the southwest, 4pob and alot of fuel. So was still quite heavy. Simpily turned base to early, slightly high an slightly fast, the strip has a downslope about a third the way down and being gravel didnt want to go sliding down the hill at the end of the rw either got to 200ft call going aroind, went around, came back around and actually found there was a lot of runway there. Landed had lunch and got gone to ypjt

TOUCH-AND-GO
13th Jan 2013, 09:48
My latest go around was at YTQY. Coming into land on rwy 35 after a precautionary search only to find a herd of sheep standing in the middle of the bloody runway.! Thought that was bad, came in again for a second attempt to land and just as I flared one sheep ran across the runway, so again punched in full throttle and initiated a go around. And on take off we had to abort aswell, just wasn't our day. :}

DH164
13th Jan 2013, 10:15
^Same airport, same reason. :ok:

MakeItHappenCaptain
13th Jan 2013, 10:52
Same airport in 2010, but because some dope (new guy) from the council thought he could slash up to the edge of the runway while aircraft were trying to land.

Apparently the aircraft discontinuing the approach as he turned for a head on strip on three consecutive passes wasn't a big enough clue...:rolleyes:

Ultralights
13th Jan 2013, 10:58
YSBK, runway 11L just about to flair, tower call ABC- go around, dog on the runway

Ex FSO GRIFFO
13th Jan 2013, 11:17
A bit like the 'ole goldfish - in - the - bowl' theory....

He doesn't mind 'going around again'....and neither should you!

Cheers:ok:

TOUCH-AND-GO
13th Jan 2013, 11:17
Nothing ever beats the good old flight school days. Busy day in the circuits as per usual at YMMB. Would be doing at least 3-5 go arounds every time we visited. :8

VH-XXX
13th Jan 2013, 11:20
Apparently there are a lot of wild dogs in the vicinity of Tyabb airport in Victoria. As a result some pilots of warbirds are forced to do go-arounds so as to not damage their aircraft when they hit the poor muts. Perhaps they should call the pound.

Sunfish
13th Jan 2013, 18:15
Every set of circuits at YMMB usually includes a go around when the tower can't give me clearance by the time I reach the fence because they are overloaded or a student is a little slow getting off the runway.

Why would I care? Its good practice. Establish positive rate of climb, milk the flaps up and ask for an early turn crosswind.

The guys in the YMMB Tower are great. It's a pleasure just talking to them.

Stikman
13th Jan 2013, 18:45
Agreed.
Quite a few times when doing circuits on 17L/35R I've had to do a go-around for one reason or another....sometimes it's difficult to get the call in with so much radio traffic when it's busy.
On 17R/35L, if the tower hasn't given me a clearance, I give a call on finals if it seems they've forgotten about me.
As for my last go-around, that was yesterday..

185skywagon
13th Jan 2013, 19:45
Just remember the old saying " what goes around, comes around";)

Modesetter
13th Jan 2013, 20:15
A little bush strip at Burren Junction, near Moree.

Coming in with a heavy X-wind, and at about 50ft the wind suddenly dropped off to nothing, so it was go around or decorate the tree line to my left :}

NZFlyingKiwi
13th Jan 2013, 20:23
My most recent one as P in C I don't remember but I imagine it would have been either an unstable approach with a student or quite possibly another aircraft lined up in front or too close behind another aircraft on final.

The last one I've had to do where I was actually in control myself was at Ardmore flying a T-67 and was the result of a pedestrian deciding that to save time getting from one side of the airfield to the other he would walk across the runway; that would be about the third go around I've had to do in the last couple of years due to a person on the runway.

fujii
14th Jan 2013, 03:40
Ultralights

YSBK, runway 11L just about to flair, tower call ABC- go around, dog on the RWY.

Nothing like showing a bit of flair when about to flare.

Ultralights
14th Jan 2013, 04:11
YSBK, runway 11L just about to flair, tower call ABC- go around, dog on the RWY.

Nothing like showing a bit of flair when about to flare.

had a student on board. have to show em how its done!

Keg
14th Jan 2013, 04:22
YMML RWY 27. About 20'. Southerly change hit us as we got to 30'. Probably could have fought it on but decided that I was going to have to be [b]VERY/b] good were something else befall us.

It's probably been about 12 months since my last one. I'm probably due again! :ok: I'm probably due for a diversion and a medical issue as well. Perhaps combine 2 out of 3 at some stage.

PA39
14th Jan 2013, 05:06
Auckland, pilot of KingAir didn't hear 3x "clear for immediate take off clearances"!! it is a nice view of the harbour!

slackie
14th Jan 2013, 05:17
Mercer, NZ about a month ago... Giles G202... just f.cked up the flare, floated past the point at which I wanted to be on the ground and lost sight of the RWY edge... no brainer... Go Around... quick circuit and was on the ground only a few minutes later... and was a greaser too!

fujii
14th Jan 2013, 05:27
Ultralights,
Good to see a sense of humour.

chimbu warrior
14th Jan 2013, 06:47
Just ensure your first go-around does not become your last go-around.

I find it somewhat amazing that blokes I fly with tell me all about what they will do if they don't get visual off an instrument approach, but if I ask what they will do if they need to go around off a visual approach, I get lots of blank stares (not all). A go-around can occur at any time, for a whole range of reasons. 2-engine go-arounds seem to be among the most poorly executed items in both the simulator and aircraft.

TOUCH-AND-GO
14th Jan 2013, 07:12
tower can't give me clearance by the time I reach the fence because they are overloaded or a student is a little slow getting off the runway.
Sunfish try going around for other student pilots who incidentally enter or cross the runway.! Happens quite often at YMMB. :E

FlyingKiwi_73
14th Jan 2013, 08:35
My last was at NZPP about 2 months ago In a nice new 172SP G1000.
All the GPS wizz bangs in the world won't save you from being high on approach arriving too fast and having a wee sideways gust.

Tail dragger student still on the runway when i was turning base gave me pause and i'd let the approach go out the window, had 3 pax, milked those flaps back in nice and slow...

I did manage to nail a landing in a Tommie a few weeks ago with 15 knot xwind... that was some serious foot work, even the bloke in the tower gave me a well done.. felt like a proper pilot! get in!

Homesick-Angel
14th Jan 2013, 11:57
The fun ones were when the students doing circuits sessions 1-5 in a 152 would choose their own adventure and retract ALL the flap 50ft above the ground in 40dg temps and only go to 3/4 power with the death grip on the throttle.. So much for the pre- flight brief and demonstration you think as your sphincter clenches tight..

Teaches you about the beauty of airspeed in a real hurry...

darkroomsource
14th Jan 2013, 14:20
I tend to think of every approach as a go-around until I decide it's good for a landing.

aileron_69
14th Jan 2013, 14:49
"You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one of them. Come to think of it, I've never landed a plane in my life."

flyinkiwi
14th Jan 2013, 20:33
My last was at NZHN when I totally screwed up an approach when practicing for my latest type rating. The usual excuse, I let the plane to get too high and too fast because my head was not in the game.

Probably my most memorable was at Raglan a few years back when some bloke decided to walk his dog across the runway when I was on final. For those of you who are not familiar with Raglan, there is a walkway across the middle of the airstrip but there are large signs at each end telling Pedestrians to check for incoming aircraft before crossing. This guy chose to ignore that sign. For those of you who might be wondering, no, there was no strafing run or any such dramatics, I opened the taps and climbed away as best I could. However the rapidly approaching and increasing volume of my 172's Lyco made the dog bolt for the gate, dragging the guy along, it was most satisfying to watch. :ok:

lilflyboy262...2
14th Jan 2013, 23:01
I remember having to go around in Raglan because a guy was playing golf on the runway. He was riding his quad to get the ball... he gave me this look as I went around of "WTF are you doing landing a plane on a runway?!"

Last go-around was into a strip in Northern Ontario, Canada. Was told the winds had died down so I left. Was a frozen runway, 90% ice patches, blowing snow, vis at 2 miles, and at night.
Turned out it was a 40kt crosswind and could barely maintain the centerline. Decided it was a smart idea to give it away and go home.

VH-XXX
14th Jan 2013, 23:13
I had to do a go-around when a Viper Jet powered Toyota van was cruising down the runway with afterburner cranking. That doesn't happen very often!

Con_G
14th Jan 2013, 23:27
My last go around was during my PPL test in a C182 at YMRY Rwy 05. It was a clear day with broken cloud sitting right over the top of the airport (just like the forecast said), so after trying to recall the legal requirement re distance from cloud and descending through a hole in the cloud, then dealing with a meat bomber plane which had just made a drop then I almost forgot the base call, as soon as I turned final I knew I was way too high but I continued the approach to make it look like I was atleast trying, about 200 ft agl I told the ATO that this isnt going to happen and asked if he would like me to remain in the circuit, he told me to continue with the flight, oh and I did pass (just).

The most memorable go around was during my GFPT with a close friend in a C172, after 3 bounces I could picture the ATSB incident report that would follow if I continued trying to land. That was the most scared I have been while flying a light aircraft

criticalmass
15th Jan 2013, 01:54
Did two in a circuit-training session a few days ago.

First due to a Tiger Moth which didn't vacate at the first taxiway but rolled through to the second one.

Second due to a Caribou backtracking on the runway as we turned final.

Always a good exercise in decision-making and airmanship for the students...and a few extra minutes in the flight-log.

Slasher
15th Jan 2013, 03:27
Last GA I done was at Kunming in perfect wx when the cadet under training
tried to take out the LLZ for 16.

"DUAL INPUT! PRIORITY LEFT! PRIORITY LEFT!" is standard FWC* screamouts
for cadet training on the 320 suck-squirt!

*Flight Warning Computer

Howard Hughes
15th Jan 2013, 03:41
Young - Night RNAV approach, didn't see a cracker! :eek:

truthinbeer
15th Jan 2013, 04:25
Done a few now in circuits at YSBK. Once or twice I have been a bit high, and another couple when I did not received clearance on final and one oops moment from ATC when the circuit was busy and I was cleared when it wasn't. Glad to have had an instructor on that occasion.

LeadSled
15th Jan 2013, 08:19
First GA, on first solo, second on first solo, landed of the third approach ---- is a Chipmunk different when you take an 18 stone instructor out of the back seat --- but it had been well drummed into me that if I wasn't satisfied with the approach, go around and have another go.
It did cost me a lot of Stones Green Ginger Wine that night in the bar, "Tiny" Marshall, the instructor, thought I had flipped my lid.
Last go around, YMML 16, 200' ILS, not visual at minima. Made it in on the second approach. The aircraft was just a little bigger than the Chipmunk.
There have been countless in between, probably the most interesting was of a Carnarsie approach to 13R at KJFK.
Tootle pip!!

Slasher
15th Jan 2013, 09:10
....a Carnarsie approach to 13R at KJFK.

Thanks for restarting me nightmares! :bored:

CPT733
15th Jan 2013, 14:59
First Solo at YSBK, Cleared to T/O after a C152 just completed a touch and go and me in a PA28, even a slow cruise on downwind couldn't stop me from catching it. 50m from threshold 'FOXTROT **** UNIFORM GO_AROUND' Thankfully got a early crosswind and finished up with a greaser :ok:

Dufo
15th Jan 2013, 17:55
First one.. don't remember, must have been a practice on C152 or 172 years ago. Most recent one was last week in Saab 340, when RVR dropped much below minima and we were just before DH.

LeadSled
16th Jan 2013, 05:36
Iron Man,
Speaking of Wellington, somewhat the opposite to a GA on 34 ---- on approach in a B747SP, we were going around due a huge shear, and touched down during the GA, so the Captain (I was the F/O) just pulled the power off (4 by RB211 full chat) and "landed".

At the time, every QF Wellington arrival was being observed by a DCA ( I think it was still DCA) Examiner of Airman on a jump seat.

Said Examiner had no idea that it wasn't just a normal approach and landing, and we didn't think it was necessary to tell him otherwise.

One lesson here, never retract the gear until you have an irreversible rate of climb going.

Tootle pip!!

PS: Slasher, and it was 13R, not 13L, so the "Holiday Inn Marker" was not available.

34R
16th Jan 2013, 08:13
My first trip after being checked to line I copped 2 after repeated efforts into the Goldy, via the 14 VOR.
So far, it remains my last (outside of the sim anyway!)

gerry111
16th Jan 2013, 10:05
CPT 733.
Was that FTU, a Schofields Flying Club Piper Warrior? If so, I flew the same aeroplane on my second solo on 27 Nov 1983 at Schofields AD. The great news is that, many thousands of flying hours later, the old PA-28 is still flying.