PDA

View Full Version : Britain to help the French with Transport

November4
12th Jan 2013, 21:59
Britain will provide transport planes to assist the French military operation in Mali, Downing Street has confirmed.

David Cameron spoke with Francois Hollande on Saturday evening as France attempted to contain al-Qaeda linked rebels in the north of the West African country.
"The Prime Minister has agreed that the UK will provide logistical military assistance to help transport foreign troops and equipment quickly to Mali.

"We will not be deploying any British personnel in a combat role.

Sky (http://news.sky.com/story/1037037/britain-sends-planes-to-help-french-fight-in-mali)

Good to see that the spare capacity the RAF AT fleet has being used at last....

Squirrel 41
12th Jan 2013, 23:05
N4

Agreed on the cynical question of what is available, but in principle this is exactly the sort of thing that we should be encouraging.

S41

Squirrel 41
13th Jan 2013, 00:26
And RIP Damien Boiteux, the French pilot killed yesterday in Mali.

Britain to send aircraft to Mali to assist French fight against rebels | World news | The Observer (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jan/12/mali-somalia-france-rebels-islamist-francois-hollande)

S41

Trim Stab
13th Jan 2013, 07:51
Are they sending Herc, or Voyager?

Onceapilot
13th Jan 2013, 08:09
Will the French be our friends after this?

OAP

ORAC
13th Jan 2013, 08:12
No good deed ever goes unpunished.....

Oldlae
13th Jan 2013, 08:20
How many euros is this worth?

5aday
13th Jan 2013, 08:38
Squirrel -quite right but they are a slippery slimy bunch.
As an aside virtually no British goods in their shops in Paris this week, especially fresh goods. It seems they would rather eat crappy meat than
buy overseas ie from us in the UK. Very protectionist as a nation so I hope
they might remember this military help. Hope springs eternal.

collbar
13th Jan 2013, 08:39
A day trip for a C-17 surely!

Heathrow Harry
13th Jan 2013, 08:49
THAT's why we are buying another C-17.....................

November4
13th Jan 2013, 09:36
Seems that it's not just the RAF being invited. The WSJ (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324081704578237283391240010.html?mod=WSJEuro pe_hpp_LEFTTopStories)reports that

the Pentagon was reviewing a French request for technical assistance to conduct the Malian campaign. Mr. Le Drian declined to comment on France's request to the U.S.

lasernigel
13th Jan 2013, 10:41
Very protectionist as a nation so I hope
they might remember this military help.

They didn't the last two times!!!

BOAC
13th Jan 2013, 11:03
Maybe someone in Whitehall is getting nervous about the prospects for 'borrowing' a French carrier (should it ever be needed, of course - cannot think of any reason at the moment.............)

Exactly HOW MANY troops are they going to send in that they cannot provide their own transport?http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif

wiggy
13th Jan 2013, 11:14
Very protectionist as a nation so I hope

Well if you're expecting marching bands parading up and down the streets of Paris singing "God Bless America" every July 4 forget it.

OTOH around France there are still many small acts of rememberance to their Allies... such as this:

Ponts-Jumeaux. Usine Saint-Eloi : hommage à l'aviateur américain - Toulouse : LaDépêche.fr (http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2012/11/13/1487631-toulouse-usine-saint-eloi-hommage-a-l-aviateur-americain.html)

Daysleeper
13th Jan 2013, 11:35
Exactly HOW MANY troops are they going to send in that they cannot provide their own transport?

It seems more likely that the C-17 will carry the various "outsize" equipment loads that can't go on the smaller transports. France is fairly poorly served for airlift with the C-130 being the largest ramp fitted aircraft, thus their order for 50 ish A400M.

Had the A400 been on time they probably wouldn't need the C-17.

Icare9
13th Jan 2013, 11:51
I see on another thread that apparently another C17 is arriving.
BBC BREAKING NEWS:RAF C-17 cargo plane will leave UK this afternoon destined for Paris to assist the French operation in Mali, the BBC understands
Perhaps that's where this one is going, but pardon my temerity, why use a C17 which I understand are practically committed round the clock in Afghan?

It's about time the Powers that Be accept we are no longer the world's policeman able to send a gunboat (or C17) anywhere at the drop of a hat.

Our boys first, please!

Courtney Mil
13th Jan 2013, 12:46
On the other hand, instability in Mali will potentially affect all nations. Alright, many nations. It's not just the French that should be concerned. In fact I would say 'well done' to them for stepping up to the plate (as they did very quickly in Libya).

So it's not surprising that UK and USA are offering help, even if we aren't actually putting troops on the ground.

Xercules
13th Jan 2013, 12:56
On the other hand flying to Mali will, no doubt, make a pleasant change from UK _ Afghanistan. It is an interesting country especially out in the desert although I doubt our aircraft will get there as that is where the rebels are. Probably Bamako will be the nearest to any action.

Many, many moons ago we did famine relief into Mali to places such as Nioro, Kayes and Timbuctou. One crew had to night stop at Timboctou because a battery failure meant they were unable to start the GTC. It was not too bad until the roof of the "hotel" fell in in the middle of the night. The rest of the time we were greeted by convicts to do the unloading - all glowing skin and enormous grins, especially when unloading flour.

Trim Stab
13th Jan 2013, 13:23
Squirrel -quite right but they are a slippery slimy bunch.
As an aside virtually no British goods in their shops in Paris this week, especially fresh goods. It seems they would rather eat crappy meat than
buy overseas ie from us in the UK. Very protectionist as a nation so I hope

My local supermarket in France has a whole section devoted to British "delicacies". I can buy Heinz baked beans, Hobnobs, PG Tips, marmite, Jacobs cream crackers.

Also, doesn't the Aeronavale currently do our maritime surveillance for us?

TheWizard
13th Jan 2013, 14:13
I see on another thread that apparently another C17 is arriving.

Perhaps that's where this one is going, but pardon my temerity, why use a C17 which I understand are practically committed round the clock in Afghan?

It's about time the Powers that Be accept we are no longer the world's policeman able to send a gunboat (or C17) anywhere at the drop of a hat.

Our boys first, please!

So, when we need assistance plugging our gaping MPA gap perhaps the French will say 'NON' if we took that attitude?? :hmm:

Being able to help our allies and vice versa is one of the strengths of today's Armed Forces, politics aside.

(PS 99 Sqn are indeed busy people but they are not "commited round the clock in Afghan" these days.)

KAG
13th Jan 2013, 14:17
Britain to help the French with Transport

Thank you. :ok:

NutLoose
13th Jan 2013, 14:40
Shame they couldn't maximise the load capacity of the C-17, one would imagine they will be picking up troops and equipment in France, that means they will be departing the UK empty, thus they could easily fill them with illegal immigrants that have no doubt arrived from France in the first place and drop them off on the way to Mali when they call into France to collect the troops...

Pure Pursuit
13th Jan 2013, 15:14
The second C17 is flying out all of the white flags that the French will need. Better safe than sorry!

Heathrow Harry
13th Jan 2013, 15:35
I' amazed they could dig out TWO sets of senior RAF officers to fly this operation - on WEEKEND as well :eek::eek::eek::eek:

- no doubt the question of medals will be uppermost in certain heads - probably an AVM as load master...................

Uncle Ginsters
13th Jan 2013, 16:08
(PS 99 Sqn are indeed busy people but they are not "commited round the clock in Afghan" these days.)

Really?

99 Sqn's moral has always been the same - "the answer's yes"

The question the big-wigs need to answer though, each and every time, is what gives way to allow additional tasking to happen...it's not a bottomless pit of jets or manpower by any stretch, quite the opposite with current afghan commitments.:ok:

TheWizard
13th Jan 2013, 16:21
Really?

99 Sqn's moral has always been the same - "the answer's yes"

At no point was that in doubt or question, quite the opposite.
It was meant to highlight that there are 'other' things going on, rather than 24/7 Afghanistan runs which was once the case.

Jonty
13th Jan 2013, 16:31
Nelson would never have stood for it! :}

November4
14th Jan 2013, 09:04
Oh dear...reported on Radio 2 news that the first C-17 is u/s in France.

TBM-Legend
14th Jan 2013, 09:18
at least it's not U/S in Mali!

glojo
14th Jan 2013, 10:45
The second C17 is flying out all of the white flags that the French will need. Better safe than sorry!
Not funny and we need to respect them for what they are trying to do.

They certainly led from the fore over Libya and are very prominent in numerous African states.

As we speak they are trying to prevent this horrible spreading of radical religios believes and that is not something we have managed in the last two conflicts. Hopefully they might have more success than we have had.

Shame about the aircraft unreliability but it is not the first time and will definitely not be the last.

Respect to those brave French warriors that have sadly made that ultimate sacrifice.

collbar
14th Jan 2013, 11:04
The movers probably dropped the combat media kit breaking the cameras!!

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
14th Jan 2013, 11:16
The BBC made a great point this morning that one of the machines has gone U/S. Nothing positive was said to balance the bad news and no hint that it's a US supplied aeroplane.

Remind me; does the GISP programme provide direct support to deployed AOGs or did they only contract for the easy stuff?

Blue Bottle
14th Jan 2013, 11:24
David Cameron praises C17 plane just moments before it breaks down - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/mali/9800099/David-Cameron-praises-C17-plane-just-moments-before-it-breaks-down.html)

Cornerstone958
14th Jan 2013, 14:42
So what's wrong with it? Do tell:rolleyes:

brakedwell
14th Jan 2013, 16:05
How many drones will fit into a C17? IIRC the terrain in Mali is ideal for zapping terrorist pick up trucks. :ok:

Just This Once...
14th Jan 2013, 16:12
The C-17 going u/s was even reported to parliament today.

Easy Street
14th Jan 2013, 22:44
Embarrassing?

Well, since it's 99 Sqn, I guess the answer must be yes :p

keesje
14th Jan 2013, 23:35
Canada sends a C-17.

Canada to send C-17 aircraft to support French troops in Mali | CTV News (http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canada-to-send-c-17-aircraft-to-support-french-troops-in-mali-1.1113448)

Harper said Canada will send a Royal Canadian Air Force C-17 cargo plane to Mali for a period of one week – on direct request from France.

keesje
15th Jan 2013, 17:14
http://www.timeslive.co.za/Feeds/Reuters_Images/2013/01/15/mdf65164-15-01-2013-08-01-39-832.jpg/ALTERNATES/crop_630x400/MDF65164-15-01-2013-08-01-39-832.jpg

Members of the Royal Air Force Air Movement Services guide a French armoured personnel carriers as it is driven of a C17 aircraft as they deliver them to Bamako, Mali.
Image by: ANDREW WINNING / REUTERS

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
15th Jan 2013, 23:56
"Royal Air Force Air Movement Services guide a French armoured personnel carriers as it is driven of a C17 aircraft"

English is your reporter's second language?

Sorry, not getting at you but it grates.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
16th Jan 2013, 00:01
PS

It's interesting that my original GISP programme question was so difficult or so unworthy of comment.

Anyway, well done the jumping pumas. You can only work with what you are given

AlphaZuluRomeo
16th Jan 2013, 01:09
Britain to help the French with Transport
As KAG said, thanks indeed, UK, Canada, USA, Belgium, Denmark... :)

It seems more likely that the C-17 will carry the various "outsize" equipment loads that can't go on the smaller transports.
Not really outsize things for now, but C-17 clearly brings its big capacity, for lots of stuff.
The only thing that would not have fitted into C-130s or -160s would be a Tigre helicopter or two, but those travelled over there onboard an An-124 instead.

Had the A400 been on time they probably wouldn't need the C-17.
Agreed. But it's late (*), so thanks (again). :D
(*) won't last much longer, now: Aviation Week announced yesterday that the first A400M Atlas airlifter in the colors of the French Air Force has broken cover in Seville.

On the other hand, instability in Mali will potentially affect all nations. Alright, many nations. It's not just the French that should be concerned. In fact I would say 'well done' to them for stepping up to the plate (as they did very quickly in Libya).

So it's not surprising that UK and USA are offering help, even if we aren't actually putting troops on the ground.
Thanks also for that, Courtney Mil and other posters with similar educated & reasonable answers. :ok: An appreciated difference over free :confused: bashing :uhoh:

Reinhardt
16th Jan 2013, 08:13
Thanks my fellow british ex-colleagues for all your positive and smart comments.
Strategic transport is something any Army/Air Force will never have enough on theater - so yes, any C130 and other C17 trip is welcome. Belgian and Canadian aircraft will also be enjoyed for that reason.
Now regarding combat troops on ground - well, you are enough committed in Afghanistan, from which this time we withdrew quite rightly because we had nothing to do there except "helping" another ally, this one is not even a real friend of you (consider its Falklands diplomatic positioning....) and each country had its own "zone of interest" throughout the world.

That Mali operation does enjoy a 75% approval rate in my country...
and some older heads from yours will remember some support being given from Dakar, to a specific operation in Sierra Leone - which this time is one of your "places"....

and yes as one of you said, MPA or carrier OPS might be part of the deal in the future, so everybody will be happy...

Cheers

Reinhardt, used to fly Hunter and Jaguar in the RAF many years ago.

Blue Bottle
16th Jan 2013, 08:51
It's not only our C17 that went U/S

Canadian C-17 departs for Mali after brief technical glitch (http://www.theloop.ca/news/all/article/-/a/1138011/Canadian-C-17-heading-for-Mali-to-support-French-troops)

Pontius Navigator
16th Jan 2013, 10:59
GBZ, I wouldn't normally defend keesje but it was not spelling, it was a quote.

Had the A400 been on time they probably wouldn't need the C-17. or C130J and C17 for us too?

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
16th Jan 2013, 14:30
Pontius Navigator: I did realize that keesje was quoting Reuters and that it was their use of "of" when they meant "off". That's why I asked if English was the second language of the reporter. I was by no means criticising keesje's use of English and I'm sorry if that was the impression I gave.

Pontius Navigator
16th Jan 2013, 15:49
GBZ, the photographer is British so either he made the mistake or someone at Reuters who captioned the image did it.