PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 757s

rocket66
12th Jan 2013, 09:43
Heres a question for ya folks, why are there no 757s in Australia?

Is it because they arent suited to our average routes or too expensive to run?

Rocket

Capt Fathom
12th Jan 2013, 10:42
Too big.... And too small at the same time!

If I recall correctly, Singapore Airlines had them for a while!

training wheels
12th Jan 2013, 14:42
Too big.... And too small at the same time!

If I recall correctly, Singapore Airlines had them for a while!

Yes, I do recall being a pax on a SQ 757. Singapore Airlines had operated quite a wide range of different aircraft types in their history including the DC-10, A300 and 727. They even had the Concorde at one stage sharing it with British Airways with one side painted in SQ colours.

By George
12th Jan 2013, 20:32
SQ even had a 737 Freighter once.

Many years ago this question came up at a pilots meeting in Ansett. They claimed the Aircraft could not be turned around quickly, too long and narrow cabin.

They are like flies in the US. Paxed on them a few times, funny step down into the cockpit. Nice looking aeroplane but it gives off a wake vortex that is bad enough to move it up from 'Medium' to 'Heavy'.

LeadSled
12th Jan 2013, 22:53
----- funny step down into the cockpit.

Folks,
For those of us who are B757/767 dual endorsed, the big difference is, with the 767, you step up into the cockpit.
There is one B757 in this part of the world, the DHL freighter, I seem to recall the RNZAF had one or more for their VIP flight.
Tootle pip!!

aileron_69
13th Jan 2013, 00:51
RNZAF have 2 of them. Its their entire 'Jet' Fleet. Replaced the old 727s.

Transition Layer
13th Jan 2013, 06:16
RNZAF have 2 of them. Its their entire 'Jet' Fleet. Replaced the old 727s.

And they know how to have a bit of fun with them too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50BRFzVxDH8

Capn Bloggs
13th Jan 2013, 07:08
Load times would be similar to A321?

For those of us who are B757/767 dual endorsed, the big difference is, with the 767, you step up into the cockpit.
If one was dual endorsed, I'd be worried if they'd needed reminding... :cool:

Kick it straight on the roundout next time, Hoskins...
Jw4PHhLBbrU

Capt Fathom
13th Jan 2013, 08:47
Even for Toncontin, that one was short!

Gate_15L
13th Jan 2013, 21:38
Kick it straight on the roundout next time, Hoskins...

What was wrong with that? Either method is acceptable..
Touchdown In Crab
The airplane can land using crab only (zero sideslip) up to the landing crosswind
guideline speeds. (See the landing crosswind guidelines table, this chapter).

Boeing 757 FCTM

Anthill
13th Jan 2013, 23:15
A couple of operators have loked at getting the B757 into Australia. Skywest was examining the prospect of getting 2 some 10 years ago.

XR even employed a bunch of B757/767 qualified guys, including an Operations Manager who had been a B767 check captain (he was also a F100 CC as well). The rumour at the time was that XR was looking at flights to the East coast captal cities and also Singapore.

There was also a freight operator who was looking at starting operations using B757F in about 2004: not sure what came of it.

scotbill
14th Jan 2013, 07:31
What was wrong with that? Either method is acceptable..Not if you consider yourself a professional airline pilot with some concern for the comfort and well-being of your passengers.

The 757 demonstrates its dislike of landing with crab on by shaking itself like a wet dog.
For the 'kick off drift" school - consider the effect that the input of an agricultural amount of last-second rudder has on those sitting right at the back.

The autopilot does a superb job of demonstrating how to execute a smooth Xwind landing using progressive crossed controls. That's the standard to aim for.

criticalmass
15th Jan 2013, 03:40
I too have pondered why the "Atari Ferrari" never made it into Australian skies. One of the factors which prevented the 757 gaining even a toe-hold is the overwhelming success of the 737 family.

The fact is most of the air-routes flown by RPT in this country can be well-served by any of the variants of the 737, and those which are marginal for that aircraft are handled by the feeder turboprops (ATR72, Dash-8s, Saab 340s etc).

The heavily-trafficked routes can be served two ways - larger aircraft less frequently, or smaller aircraft on a high-frequency basis. Syd-Melb is one of the most heavily-trafficked routes in the world, and it is mostly handled by 737s, with some 767/A330 flights to handle peak demand. Seems like the majors decided high-frequency with smaller aircraft was the model they preferred, given the versatility and economics of the 737.

Another thing is keeping the number of types in the fleet down at manageable proportions. Ansett was a good example of a bad example, with multiple types (737, A320, BAe146, 767, etc) in the fleet, with tooling, spares, maintenance manuals and qualifications, ground-handling gear etc all factoring in. There is a lot to be gained in having just one aircraft type predominant in any fleet in terms of spares support, common crew training, administration costs etc. This is particularly true of purely domestic operators. (The internationals have a mix of what works best for them in their fleets, and as this can change so their fleet structures need to be flexible.)

So, good though the 757 undoubtedly was, especially in the US, it simply was perhaps too much of a good thing for our little market. Big and ballsy, fast and furious (with wake-turbulence in the Heavy category), yet still a narrow-body with unpalletised luggage, the 757 worked well in large markets, but was beaten hands down by the 737 in smaller markets. (I vividly recall sitting idly watching luggage being hand-thrown into the cargo-holds of a United 757, then boarding the same aircraft and being hand-thrown into my seat!)

The 787 replaces it (and quite possibly the 767 family as well). It will be interesting to see how many 787s are used domestically once the type is in service - and what airframes they replace.

Capt Fathom
15th Jan 2013, 04:52
Z2kzmP1Jy_M

LeadSled
15th Jan 2013, 08:08
If one was dual endorsed, I'd be worried if they'd needed reminding... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/cool.gif
Bloggsie,
You never did have much of a sense of humor, did you??
Still, it will never be a problem, with which you will have to contend.
Tootle pip!!

Stationair8
17th Jan 2013, 09:06
No doubt Boeing would have put a flight engineers position in the B757 cockpit if Sir Peter had ordeed enough of them!

Weren't Impulse considering them for YSSY -YPTH?