PDA

View Full Version : New EASA regulations regarding Type Rating requirements?

MerNion
11th Jan 2013, 16:43
Hello all,

regarding the new EASA regulations, so long JARs, is there a change in the requirements in order to do an initial A320 type rating if you hold a CPL, IR/ME, ATPL Theory and MCC? Or what it used to apply with the JARs is still the same?
I ask this because I was told from a TRTO (will be ATOs soon) that with the new EASA regulations you have to have 500 hours in order to do the Type Rating.

What i read though in the European Regulations (EU) 1178/2011, which is the new EASA FCL it says:

(d) Multi-pilot aeroplanes. An applicant for the first type rating course for a multi-pilot aeroplane shall be a student pilot currently undergoing training on an MPL training course or comply with the following requirements:
(1) have at least 70 hours of flight experience as PIC on aeroplanes;
(2) hold a multi-engine IR(A);
(3) have passed the ATPL(A) theoretical knowledge examinations in accordance with this Part; and
(4) except when the type rating course is combined with an MCC course:
(i) hold a certificate of satisfactory completion of an MCC course in aeroplanes; or
(ii) hold a certificate of satisfactory completion of MCC in helicopters and have more than 100 hours of flight experience as a pilot on multi-pilot helicopters; or
(iii) have at least 500 hours as a pilot on multi-pilot helicopters; or
(iv) have at least 500 hours as a pilot in multi-pilot operations on single-pilot multi-engine aeroplanes, in commercial air transport in accordance with the applicable air operations requirements.

What i get is that if you have 70h PIC, ME/IR, ATPL theory and MCC completion certificate, you can do the Type Rating. Where do they get that 500h?

Thanks a lot!

B737900er
11th Jan 2013, 17:47
You can obtain a TR outside of the EU and transfer it to your EASA license if you have more than 500 hours on that type.

I think there is some confusion with the interpolations of the Regs....no surprise there:ugh:

MerNion
11th Jan 2013, 17:49
My question is what happens if you have just finished the CPL (around 250h). In the JARs you could just do an A320 type rating with just those hours. Is it still the same with the EASA regulations?

maxed-out
11th Jan 2013, 18:58
Common guys. Read the document!

Unless you have an MCC you need 500 hours in another CS 25 aircraft. Read point 4 again.

You gonna struggle with a TR if this baffles you.

BigGrecian
11th Jan 2013, 19:21
It also says :

undergoing training on an MPL training course

You probably won't be - your probably on a conventional Single Pilot licence training course which adds a multi crew type rating.

MerNion
12th Jan 2013, 01:12
@maxed-out: I know very well what is in this document. What I am asking is if I am missing something out of the document regarding the type rating requirements or is there is another document or any changes not yet added in the document or anything! Because I was also told from the Civil Aviation Authority that this is true and I am just trying to find out where they base that! So leave the judgments aside and help if you can.
Thanks!

Nick 1
12th Jan 2013, 06:29
" hold an MCC or...."
You need 500 hrs if you don' t have MCC.

BillieBob
12th Jan 2013, 08:06
There are no changes to the requirements for a first MPA type rating as a result of the change to EU regulation. Everything remains just as it was under JAA requirements.

MerNion
12th Jan 2013, 10:12
That is exactly what I read on the regulations, but for some reason they told me from the caa that since April 8th you will have to have 500 hours to do the type rating.. I will go there personally on Monday to ask again but I am trying to find out anything i can until then..

MerNion
12th Jan 2013, 16:15
The only thing that I can find in the EASA regulations is this:

FCL.730.A Specific requirements for pilots undertaking a zero flight time type rating (ZFTT) course — aero*planes

(a) A pilot undertaking instruction at a ZFTT course shall have completed, on a multi-pilot turbo-jet aeroplane certificated to the standards of CS-25 or equivalent airworthiness code or on a multi-pilot turbo-prop aeroplane having a maximum certificated take-off mass of not less than 10 tonnes or a certificated passenger seating configuration of more than 19 passengers, at least:
(1) if an FFS qualified to level CG, C or interim C is used during the course, 1 500 hours flight time or 250 route sectors;
(2) if an FFS qualified to level DG or D is used during the course, 500 hours flight time or 100 route sectors

What exactly is the Zero flight time type rating? What is the difference with the type rating course a new "frozen ATPL" license holder does? Could they be talking about that in the caa when they say that you will need 500 hours to do the type rating?

Curtis E Carr
12th Jan 2013, 18:57
Could they be talking about that in the caa when they say that you will need 500 hours to do the type rating?

I think "they" are in the best position to answer that one.

FlyingStone
12th Jan 2013, 21:21
What exactly is the Zero flight time type rating? What is the difference with the type rating course a new "frozen ATPL" license holder does?

ZFTT is a type rating where you complete base training in a FFS, so you don't actually do the base training in the actual aircraft. It is meant as a cost-saver for experienced pilots who already fly or have flown similar aircraft (e.g. not from C172 to a 737) - and there is the additional requirement to start line training in 21 days after the skill test, otherwise it's back to sim.

You can't actually be serious by even thinking that there would be anyone who would let a 200h wonderkid flying his first takeoff and landing on a 60+ ton jet with 150+ passengers in the back?